Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chiangmaibruce

Poll Regarding Expat Expenditure In Thailand

How much have you spent in Thailand? A survey for expats who have lived here at least one year  

355 members have voted

1. 1. What is your total spend on basic living expenses (per person/per day) in Thailand?

• 0-999 baht
    • 1000-1999 baht
    • 2000-2999 baht
    • 3000-3999 baht
    • 4000-4999 baht
    • 5000 + baht
  2. 2. How much have you spent on major items since you moved to Thailand e.g. car, real estate in Thailand?

• 0-99,000 baht
    • 100,000-499,000 baht
    • 500,000-999,000 baht
    • 1 million-4.99 million baht
    • 5 million - 9.99 million baht
    • 10 million - 19.99 million baht
    • 20 million baht +
  3. 3. For how many years have you spent at least 180 days per year in Thailand

• 1 - 4 years
    • 5 - 9 years
    • 10 - 14 years
    • 15 + years

OK, hi, there have been quite a few threads along the lines of "How much money do I need to retire in Thailand?" or similar .. but I don't think there has been an actual poll on peoples' spending patterns.

I would like to try to firm up the feedback with a survey - even a fairly sloppy one like this - just to get some sort of handle on the $ impact of expats ... something which has also been debated here in TV

I have just written a paper looking at the whole issue of "how many expats are there in Thailand" and if I can generate or uncover some worthwhile expenditure figures then I might add this to the mix.

**If anyone has come across an article or report on the economic impact of expats in Thailand then please let me know about it**

I have asked that this be completed only by those who have lived in Thailand for at least a year. I can get statistics on average daily tourist spend from the Thai tourism dept. I would guess, and it's only a guess, that the expenditure patterns of short-stayers or new arrivals would be in the same ball-park as tourists.

Please not this is about money spent in Thailand, so don't include international trips for example. By "living expenses" I mean everything other than very major purchases, for example food, rent, insurance, petrol, school fees, etc

I think we can take it as granted that as soon as I hit "enter" I will see something I should have added or changed with the poll, but anyway let's give it a run and see what happens

Cheers

- CMB

zzaa09    332

Good luck to you and your reseatch, Bruce.

Even as these subject matters have been done to death, in one form or another.

Beetlejuice    5,694

Thanks Brucie.

Very well thought out poll indeed.

I have voted and it will be interesting to see the conclusion of this.

My guess is that it will be the majority of votes will be:

0-999 baht basic living expenses (per person/per day)

1 million-4.99 million baht spent on major items since you moved to Thailand

1 - 4 years years have you spent at least 180 days per year in Thailand

But I could be wrong. Lets wait and see.

chops    55

The average expat here I think spends 60-70k a month from what I've read. Some poorer members may not report due to shame, some richer guys may report due to bragging. :rolleyes:

Some guys simply lie. :ph34r:

bkkjames    3,803

Just a question re major expenditure on real estate purchase only or does rent over many years count?

smokie36    8,016

Thanks Brucie.

Very well thought out poll indeed.

I have voted and it will be interesting to see the conclusion of this.

My guess is that it will be the majority of votes will be:

0-999 baht basic living expenses (per person/per day)

1 million-4.99 million baht spent on major items since you moved to Thailand

1 - 4 years years have you spent at least 180 days per year in Thailand

But I could be wrong. Lets wait and see.

Spot on for most of them. I'm not surprised to see less moving out in the last four years though given exchange rates and the political situation in the country.

Less than 1k Baht a day yeah...I'd like to see a breakdown of such as rent bills and food or essential spends rather than the ovarall combined.

Other than that its an interesting poll.

Jingthing    34,262

Some poorer members may not report due to shame, some richer guys may report due to bragging.

Those points are totally silly. It is an ANONYMOUS poll!

I would have suggested for the first question saying EXCLUDING rent for people who do rent.

I think many people who do rent would tend to include daily rent in their basic daily expenses. If so, your poll becomes even more meaningless. Trust me, all thaivisa polls are meaningless, but some more than others.

South    242

The average expat here I think spends 60-70k a month from what I've read. Some poorer members may not report due to shame, some richer guys may report due to bragging. :rolleyes:

That's a stupid statement if ever I've seen one. 60/70k a month maybe easily in BKK if you live the high life, slightly less in other major cities. Much less out in the sticks! Shame/bragging??

Showing ignorance there Chops, sry.

craigt3365    18,075

That's a stupid statement if ever I've seen one. 60/70k a month maybe easily in BKK if you live the high life, slightly less in other major cities. Much less out in the sticks! Shame/bragging??

Showing ignorance there Chops, sry.

Most couples I know here in Pattaya are in the 50-90k/month range. Some a bit less, some quite a bit more. They don't live the high life. And live just outside Pattaya. Lots of things can jack up your expenditures. Health care/meds, car and payments, house/maintenance, maid, kids, etc. It adds up fast! :(

Just a question re major expenditure on real estate purchase only or does rent over many years count?

Yes, rent surely counts. I have suggested including rent under daily living expenses though.

And with the "major expenses", think of things you can't put on a plane and take back to farangland

robblok    19,899

The fun thing is i can make it as expensive / cheap as i want to.

I put myself on a budget because as i was starting to make more money i was starting to spend more too. I like to save.

If i cook for myself it cost a lot more then when i go out to eat in one of these village restaurants. If im in the mood ill go into BKK and eat the more expensive stuff. But you can control it all.

Same with housing actually, though I dont think i could survive in the center of BKK. I love living a bit outside and its much cheaper.

I got a couple of bikes and a car so i don't have to spend much on transport (not that taxi's are expensive here).

I can see some expats on high salaries spending loads on living and food or some on girls. If you got an independent girl (one that makes money and contributes instead of using yours) Things work out a lot cheaper. It does cut down on the selection of girls of course. You wont be able to sport that coyote stripper and expect her to chip in :D

craigt3365    18,075

Most couples I know here in Pattaya are in the 50-90k/month range.

Each?

Ha! No, that is per couple...though I do know some couples who do spend 100k or so each, and more! Lucky dogs...

ignis    1,076

What is your total spend on basic living expenses (per person/per day) in Thailand?

This is the biggest question... basic living expenses to me is what is spent per month on food, but would people that rent add the rent? electric? water. Mobile phone? Internet? house phone? Insurances? petrol/diesel? Taxi? etc etc, and then of course there is the Visa, you cannot live here without a Visa, if single then that alone is 2,200 per day..

Also where you live, I have been to a market in BKK, most everything is 2 - 4 times more expensive then my local Village market.. A single 3 bedroom house around here is 2 - 4 million, BKK add another 0... The odd houses for rent around here 3 - 5,000 baht per month, again in BKK add another 0