Thailand Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

livinthailandos

Is It Worth It To Fly Business Class On A Long Haul Flight

Chivas    662

Up to 4 years ago I used economy.When I left the plane on the last economy flight I got a stroke.For me it is worthwhile to fly business class where I can stretch out.

It's your diet and lifestyle that caused the stroke, not flying in Coach!

Maybe use the extra $$$ spent on Business Class airfares consulting a professional dietitian and getting a yearly full medical exam?

Its a fair point perhaps.

I'm 6 foot 3 and 109 Kgs currently but am quite happy to sit in economy rather than pay an extra £1000 for a seat. No way.

Have had upgrades over the years but so what ?? Bigger seat and arrive 25 metres in front of the rest !!

londoedan    602

Like a number of other posters above, I fly a lot at the moment, usu, 4-6 times a month. Most flights are 2-3 hrs and I would never pay Business class for such a trip.

Even longer than 6 hrs I would consider other options, e.g. splitting a 10-12hr journey to the UK by flying via Qatar, giving 2 manageable 5-6 hr flights.

I have flown Business Class a few times and INHO it is over-rated and not worth the price premium, and I am fairly tall at 6 ft 2. My air mile points I use to buy additional flights, rather than upgrades.

Simon

richard_smith237    6,345

Look at it another way.

Would you pay £1000 for sitting in a more comfortable chair for 12 hours at home ?? Simple question ??

Well thats what you throw away when you fly Business UK-Bangkok.

Cannot ever be justified unless money is no object to you-if you have to ask the question you haven't enough.

Very interesting point..

How about: Would I be prepared to sit in my normal chair at home, but after 12 hours suddenly find myself in another location.

Both the point Chivas brought up and the point above inadequately address the issues of comfort in flight and whether its worth the money or not. When compared to home furniture no business class seat is comfortable.

As other posters have discussed - a significant difference between business and economy is how disturbed you are by people around you, firstly because there are fewer people around out, and secondly because in general those around you know not to be so damned inconsiderate.

It it were only the seat - the value might be in greater question.

Gary A    2,497

Since business class arrives at the same time as economy class I can't see that it is worth the extra large amount of money. The one time I would have gladly paid the extra money was when I was seated between two obese people. The flight attendant did feel sorry for me but said the flight was full and there were no other seats available even in business class. I now just make sure I have a window or aisle seat.

Riely    0

Yes for long haul, especially if it's not a regular occurance, Business class is the way to go. WITH the notable exception of American carriers which IMO, generally suck when compared to so many other carriers that you would think you where on a different planet going from B.class on Delta to B.class on Emirates.

Traveling well is important, you arrive relaxed, refreshed and ready to go when coming of Business class, you are pampered and generally taken care of and made to feel as though your getting what you paid for.

For me it's worth it, and I usually won't do long haul otherwise.

tartempion    806

For me the experience starts at check in, special queues, the lounge, boarding first, better seats if not beds, great food, super wine, first to de-plane as they say life isn't measured by the breaths we take rather the moment that take our breath away and J class and F class do it all the time for me.

If you can afford it go for it and do yourself a favour and dress up like the old days, I don't know just makes me feel better.

+1

But must be flat bed, only way I can, must and will sleep on a plane, will not fly with those who don't offer flat beds on my route (Luftwaffe, Thai, EVA, Air Berlin, China Airlines)

I do watch out for promotions on the leftover companies, have a Etihad flight booked for November at 72k baht, paid 83 in May.

I only live once and am not going to leave much money to my kids, thus I spend it on business class tickets :rolleyes:

I always fly business class *if* the flight is going to be more than 4 hours.

You don't have to squeeze into your seat next to an obese disgusting sweating smelly passenger inches away from you.

And you don't have to listen to the babies/brats that stupid selfish people take onto planes to annoy everyone else. whistling.gif

SantiSuk    2,671

I would pay another £200 (only) for a business seat if it's my money we're talking about. But I am not overweight and I sleep well, whether it's a bed or a shallow rake. The extra sleeping room and the lounge with all the free goodies are worth something, but no more than £200 IMO. The upgraded food can be replicated with a £20 meal before you fly.

Business fares are for companies to pay or for individuals to pay if they have sleep difficulties (or self-regard problems :rolleyes:)

Of course you have to pay a hell of a lot more than £200, so the result is I fly London to Bangkok six times a year in the back of the bus. Not a problem.

I might pay for premium economy if travelling with wife and kid.

[That's a considered response - I flew business or first long-haul twice a month for 10 years plus before retiring. First class - now there is a premium that is hopelessly overpriced]

londoedan    602

I would pay another £200 (only) for a business seat if it's my money we're talking about. But I am not overweight and I sleep well, whether it's a bed or a shallow rake. The extra sleeping room and the lounge with all the free goodies are worth something, but no more than £200 IMO. The upgraded food can be replicated with a £20 meal before you fly.

Business fares are for companies to pay or for individuals to pay if they have sleep difficulties (or self-regard problems :rolleyes:)

Of course you have to pay a hell of a lot more than £200, so the result is I fly London to Bangkok six times a year in the back of the bus. Not a problem.

I might pay for premium economy if travelling with wife and kid.

[That's a considered response - I flew business or first long-haul twice a month for 10 years plus before retiring. First class - now there is a premium that is hopelessly overpriced]

I used to fly London - Mumbai return with BA and they would sell premium economy seats for about 100-150 GBP more than standard economy.

No lounge access but it gave an extra 4 inches of legroom. On a long flight I think the extra was worth it.

Simon

bunnaag    111

Up to 4 years ago I used economy.When I left the plane on the last economy flight I got a stroke.For me it is worthwhile to fly business class where I can stretch out.

It's your diet and lifestyle that caused the stroke, not flying in Coach!

Maybe use the extra $$ spent on Business Class airfares consulting a professional dietitian and getting a yearly full medical exam?

How would you know.I do not smoke nor drink alkohol and I eat mostly fruit and vegetables and work out and I have a yearly full medical exam.The mistake was I did not move around as I had a middle seat and is was very cramped.Next time do not assume things.

chiang mai    12,592

When the difference between economy and business was around 30% then it was worthwhile paying the extra to get the comfort etc. Now that the difference is often nearer to 100% I have trouble justifying a business class seat, as much as I enjoy them.

yermanee    708

It has everything to do with one's own priorities coupled to financial status.

For me it's more than worth it to fly business class, but then again my motto is " Live rich, die poor !!!"

Yermanee :jap:

Naam    11,441
Is It Worth It To Fly Business Class

it all depends on the contents of your wallet.

First I'd like to thank everyone for there answers on this topic. The reasons I had asked was I will be flying back to the US and the company I work for got me a business class seat to fly back home on. I like many of you cannot justify for the price for a business class seat so I always fly economy class everywhere, but when going back to the US, I've got a long flight and depending on what you consider a long flight

1st Flight is 6 hours long no problem

2nd flight is 14 hours long though

and of course I've learned over the years never ever fly any american carriers. Again thanks for your comments on this topic

Chivas    662

I always fly business class *if* the flight is going to be more than 4 hours.

You don't have to squeeze into your seat next to an obese disgusting sweating smelly passenger inches away from you.

And you don't have to listen to the babies/brats that stupid selfish people take onto planes to annoy everyone else. whistling.gif

You obviously were born at the age of majority and experienced no childhood whatsoever....