Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Neeranam

Let's Learn One Word A Day.

Dseewarrier,

Thank you very much for your precious comment on the issue.

The slight discrepancy is caused by the difference between alphabetic phonetic symbols to be used in Japan and that one internationally used like yours.

In Japan, we use k for non-aspirated sound and kh for aspirated sound, whereas you use g for non-aspirated sound and k for aspirated sound.

As for glottal stops to be used at the bottom of the word, we use k for non-aspirated sound (unvoiced, but Thai people can identify the sound).

Thank you.

Meadish_sweetball,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful comment. It helped me much.

I entirely agree with your assertion.

What is more important is to continue learning Thai language than creating perfect alphabetic phonetic symbol system.

The alphabetic phonetic symbol system is one of the various means to help us learn Thai language smoothly.

Actually Thai students don’t use alphabetic phonetic symbol system in their schools.

Thank you for your advice.

สวัสดีครับ

Can any one tell me what does ทั้งโขลง (pronounced táng kŏh long) mean? I know ทั้ง means "whole, all, entire" and โขลง means "a heard of elephants" so I assume it means "a whole or entire heard of elephants" BUT โขลง can also mean "rancid, stinking, foul-smelling" and this is causing some confusion. Does ทั้งโขลง have a second meaning regarding "foul-smelling"?

ขอบคุณครับ

สวัสดีครับ

Can any one tell me what does ทั้งโขลง (pronounced táng kŏh long) mean? I know ทั้ง means "whole, all, entire" and โขลง means "a heard of elephants" so I assume it means "a whole or entire heard of elephants" BUT โขลง can also mean "rancid, stinking, foul-smelling" and this is causing some confusion. Does ทั้งโขลง have a second meaning regarding "foul-smelling"?

ขอบคุณครับ

With respect to the pronunciation, the Royal Institute Dictionary shows "โขลง ๑ [โขฺลง]", that is " klŏhng" as a single syllable with a rising tone. I see that "thai2english" has the pronunciation you mention. I suspect that this is incorrect; the single syllable pronunciation applies to both meanings, according to the dictionary. The full entry is:

"โขลง ๑ [โขฺลง] น. ฝูง (ใช้เฉพาะช้าง).

โขลง ๒ [โขฺลง] ว. มีกลิ่นเหม็นอย่างเนื้อเน่าที่ค้างหลายวัน, โขง ก็ว่า."

I see on the "sanook/dictionary" website that the term is defined as "n. the whole bunch". (BTW, the sound clip on this website also indicates a single syllable and rising tone.

สวัสดีครับ

ขอบคุณครับ

With respect to the pronunciation, the Royal Institute Dictionary shows "โขลง ๑ [โขฺลง]", that is " klŏhng" as a single syllable with a rising tone. I see that "thai2english" has the pronunciation you mention. I suspect that this is incorrect; the single syllable pronunciation applies to both meanings, according to the dictionary. The full entry is:

I see on the "sanook/dictionary" website that the term is defined as "n. the whole bunch". (BTW, the sound clip on this website also indicates a single syllable and rising tone.

Thank you David - much appreciate the input.

1) what is the royal institutes' website? The site that I've tried ( http://www.royin.go.th ) isn't loading and I'm getting an error reading.

2) as alot of the other memebers here already speak better Thai than I do and / or live in Thailand, I was wondering just how reliable do you think www.thai2english.com is with respect to the "pronunciation"?

3) can anybody tell me if ทั้งโขลง has another meaning besides "a whole heard of elephants"? Am confused because โขลง apparently also means "stinking, rancid"...

For me as a beginner, this is a great forum! Am leaning so much here (just a pity my pronunciation isn't improving though...) :o

Thank you

สวัสดีครับ

ขอบคุณครับ

Thank you David - much appreciate the input.

1) what is the royal institutes' website? The site that I've tried ( http://www.royin.go.th ) isn't loading and I'm getting an error reading.

2) as alot of the other memebers here already speak better Thai than I do and / or live in Thailand, I was wondering just how reliable do you think www.thai2english.com is with respect to the "pronunciation"?

3) can anybody tell me if ทั้งโขลง has another meaning besides "a whole heard of elephants"? Am confused because โขลง apparently also means "stinking, rancid"...

For me as a beginner, this is a great forum! Am leaning so much here (just a pity my pronunciation isn't improving though...) :o

Thank you

Does ทั้งโขลง have another meaning besides "a whole heard of elephants"? I'm confused because โขลง apparently also means "stinking, rancid"... Thanks

ปัญหา - bpan-hăa - meaning "[ N ] problem; question; trouble". I'm just wondering, if I want to say "I have a question" or "I have a problem" can I say "ผมมีปัญหา"? Or is that just gibberish (เรื่องเหลวไหล)?

ปัญหา - bpan-hăa - meaning "[ N ] problem; question; trouble". I'm just wondering, if I want to say "I have a question" or "I have a problem" can I say "ผมมีปัญหา"? Or is that just gibberish (เรื่องเหลวไหล)?

To use ปัญหา as a question you would have to link it with something that was puzzling, troubling or causing you a problem;

ปันหาลับสมอง a riddle.

ปัญหาทางเทคนิค technical question.

"ผมมีปัญหา" translates as "I have a problem". If you wanted to say "I have a question" you could use "ผมมีคำถาม" or "ผมมีตัวปัญหา"

To use ปัญหา as a question you would have to link it with something that was puzzling, troubling or causing you a problem;

ปันหาลับสมอง a riddle.

ปัญหาทางเทคนิค technical question.

"ผมมีปัญหา" translates as "I have a problem". If you wanted to say "I have a question" you could use "ผมมีคำถาม" or "ผมมีตัวปัญหา"

Thank you very much.

This is a great idea! :D

I'm definately a biginner, can use all the help I can get.

I'll check back often, hope this thread stays alive!

How about a beginners thread?

There are a lot more beginners on this forum than experts or advanced.

Great idea Neeranam.

Although I've been here a while, I'm an absolute Thai language novice. :o

Great idea Neeranam I third that - Count me in - but certainly need the tansliteration to be accompanied by the written Thai for proper pronunciation & hopefully future recognition.

Try to look at www.learningthai.com

I used to learn about 5-10 new words a day. Now I'd be lucky to learn that in a week.

How about posting new words every day to help us who are trying to learn.

Maybe for beginners, intermediate and advanced.

Beginner - <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>แปรงสีฟัน</span> bpraeng see® fan - toothbrush

Intermediate - <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>ผลัดวันประกันพรุ่ง</span> plat(l) wan bpra(l) gan prung(f) - to procrastinate

Advanced - <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>สงครามจิตวิทยา </span> song( r) kraam jit wit(h) ta(h) yaa- psychological warfare.

Cool! I need this....

N :o N