BANGKOK 11 December 2018 06:46
Neeranam

Let's Learn One Word A Day.

ถนนลูกรัง (thanon look rang) = dirt road.

ถนนลาดยาง (thanon laad yaang) = paved road

Useful when you live in the sticks...

How about 'moom'- which is- 'a corner'

This reminds me of how much I loved the Thai word for spider (แมงมุม, maeng moom, or literally ' corner bug) when I first learned it.

My daughter and I have a lot of fun playing around with the difference in the languages, especially when the Thai word is somewhat more 'direct' in derivation than the English equivalent.

For example, when we are speaking English we don't use the word 'nostrils' but rather say 'nose holes', which is the overly direct translation of the Thai word รูจมูก.

You can have a lot of fun with it and it's useful for teaching purposes as well.

I wonder if any other forum members have done this...

• Like 1

Sorry -- this thread is for experts -- no use to us beginners sad.png

Beginners can learn one word, come on.

How about pen - pakkaa

ปากกา

bpaak gaa though

• Like 2

Actually, there is no right or wrong way to transliterate or romanise Thai words. There are quite a number of systems used to transliterate Thai language, if you have noticed. The best method that ensures everyone has a common understanding on how to transliterate one language to another language is by using IPA because its symbols are meant to represent the sound of languages. Looking at the way you romanize thai words, I guess you are using Benjawan Poomsan Becker's transliteration system?

G and K are too very very distinct souds.

Doesnt matter the way you translate it, its never K its a G sound.

Does Gay and Kay sound similar to you? they really don't

when you're uncertain about a word you can always look at http://www.thai-language.com/

Edited by bearpolar

In the context of using symbols to represent sounds in English, I agree that k and g are distinct sounds.

However, we are crossing into the reality of another language, and as we know, transliteration are not perfect. If you were to look at the transliteration used by RTGS or ISO 11940-2 (an ISO standard for a simplified transcription of Thai language into Latin characters.), you will notice that as an initial consonant:

ก is transliterated as k, whereas ข ฃ ค ฅ ฆ is transliterated as kh.

This is the standard used by many books to transliterate Thai language, even though their way of transliteration comes into conflict with what we have learned from the English language system.

If you want to accelerate your vocabulary learning rate, you can look up the antonyms(if applicable) of the words that you are learning, and you would have easily doubled your number of words learned per day. For example: Love/Hate:รัก/เกลียด Like/Dislike: ชอบไม่ชอบ etc.

• Like 1

I don't really care what the common transliteration system does. ก sounds no where near k and any book using K to symbolize ก is completely off-the chart retarded.

You can record a million thais, the only thais that are gonna pronounce ก anywhere close to K are those with a speech impediment unless its a final consonant

KH and K are the same sound to an english speaker, so these books are, once again, completely retardfed. Khite Kite same sound Gite Kite very different.

You can ask any thai you meet to write you down what ก sounds like and i would bet anything that almost every single thai will use the letter G

edit: theres a few exception in the language where go gai is pronounce as a K but those are exceptions ie: kathoey that should be grateuy

Edited by bearpolar

It took me about a month to learn the Thai alphabet from a book. After 2 years of one to one lessons with a Thai teacher.

I am convinced that anyone over 40 needs to learn the written language to achieve good spoken Thai.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2015 at 0:55 PM, bearpolar said:

I don't really care what the common transliteration system does. ก sounds no where near k and any book using K to symbolize ก is completely off-the chart retarded.

You can record a million thais, the only thais that are gonna pronounce ก anywhere close to K are those with a speech impediment unless its a final consonant

KH and K are the same sound to an english speaker, so these books are, once again, completely retardfed. Khite Kite same sound Gite Kite very different.

You can ask any thai you meet to write you down what ก sounds like and i would bet anything that almost every single thai will use the letter G

edit: theres a few exception in the language where go gai is pronounce as a K but those are exceptions ie: kathoey that should be grateuy

กะ-เทย

not a trace of R in ga-teuy

not in the spelling or the sound

many postings from you being plain confusing , off the chart

Anyone who wants to travel to Thailand will not have any trouble meeting locals there who speak English but of course not everyone is really good in speaking the English language. In that case, knowing few Thai words and phrases can go places as locals will appreciate you more because of your attempt to learn their language. 

On 8/27/2016 at 7:14 AM, Baanguru said:

Anyone who wants to travel to Thailand will not have any trouble meeting locals there who speak English but of course not everyone is really good in speaking the English language. In that case, knowing few Thai words and phrases can go places as locals will appreciate you more because of your attempt to learn their language. 

And anyone who comes to live here should always learn the language as it could literally save their lives.

Great thread, surprised more members don't want to learn.

Here's my word for the day.

Mourning - การไว้ทุกข์  gaan wai took

• Like 1