RamdomChances

Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

973 posts in this topic

I don't know the exact origins either, but I'm guessing it might have to do with the phrase ประสีประสา. As ไม่รู้ประสีประสา basically means to be naive, clueless, innocent, I think ตาสีตาสา, which conjures up images of some old guy who doesn't know what's really going on in the modern world, might originate from a sort of play on that phrase.

Thanks SK for your helpful advice, what a shame you disappeared for so long, please don't do a 'maizefarmer' on us (farming forum reference), otherwise we'll have to start scouring the country for you as well!

Anyway, I saw this phrase today, I think it's Chinese in origin, meaning, I think, an expert in brawn and brain.-มีความชำนาญทั้งเรื่องบู๊เเละบุ๋น

Anyway, I saw this phrase today, I think it's Chinese in origin, meaning, I think, an expert in brawn and brain.-มีความชำนาญทั้งเรื่องบู๊เเละบุ๋น

I'm more familiar with the บู๊ part of the phrase, as action movies are called หนังบู๊

LOL... คิดถึงเหรอคะ? :o

บ่ได้คิดถึงเเต่คิดฮอด

Cautioning about how one should pause before admiring or liking someone I came across this- ถ้าหากจะรักหรือชื่นชมใครก็ต้องเผื่อใจไว้บ้าง this phraseเผื่อใจ intrigued me; does it mean something like 'weigh up' the person, consider their real character\ characteristics carefully before forming an opinion or liking for them?

Cautioning about how one should pause before admiring or liking someone I came across this- ถ้าหากจะรักหรือชื่นชมใครก็ต้องเผื่อใจไว้บ้าง this phraseเผื่อใจ intrigued me; does it mean something like 'weigh up' the person, consider their real character\ characteristics carefully before forming an opinion or liking for them?

เผื่อใจ - reserving some part in your heart for accepting anything which might happen differently from your expectation, so that you wouldn't feel upset much when it really happen.

ถ้าหากจะรักหรือชื่นชมใครก็ต้องเผื่อใจไว้บ้าง - If you love someone or admire someone you have to acknowledge the outcome. The one you love might fail you or the one you admire might not as good as you thought.

Thanks for that Yoot, a useful phrase, I've got another one that's bothering me- วิชามาร I've seen this several times and I think it means something like' underhand,cunning,dirty trick but I'm not 100% sure.

Any input would be useful.

ID: 579   Posted (edited)

Thanks for that Yoot, a useful phrase, I've got another one that's bothering me- วิชามาร I've seen this several times and I think it means something like' underhand,cunning,dirty trick but I'm not 100% sure.

Any input would be useful.

Per Domnern Sathienpong, วิชามาร means "wicked / scheming". The Matichon dictionary says:

"เล่ห์กลสกปรกเพื่อเอาชนะฝ่ายตรงข้าม"

I wonder if the word isn't a combination of "วิชา", study of, and "มาร", [N] Mara; Satan (Lexitron). The more common meaning of "มาร" is "obstruction; obstacle; hindrance; impediment; barrier".

See Dictionary of Buddhism, section [234] "มาร 5", the five manifestations of the Satan.

Can anyone second that interpretation? Thanks.

Edited by DavidHouston

วิชามาร means "เล่ห์กลสกปรกเพื่อเอาชนะฝ่ายตรงข้าม" as in the definition from The Matichon dictionary. I would translate it to 'dirty trick' as Khun bannork mentioned.

Khun David, the word 'วิชามาร' is a combination of วิชา+มาร as you pointed out.

Thanks for the advice Yoot, I saw a phrase I liked today, the story was the announcement of the upcoming divorce between a former actress and model, Miss Yooyee and Frank, a Spanish tennis coach.

Separating because they can't get on and Yooyee wants to go back to acting Frank said:คงตัวใครตัวมัน which I think translates along the lines of;' Each must go his\her own way, not interfere with the other'.

Perhaps Frank could coach farangs in Thai as well as tennis!

I saw this as a headline today, apologies if it's been round before but it's such a classic- คางคกขึ้นวอ the toad clambers onto the palanquin\sedan chair\litter meaning to get above one's station, a jumped-up little toad, get too big for his boots\britches.

Yes, similar to กิ้งก่าได้ทอง. The explanation actually got included in that post by accident: :-P

คางคกขึ้นวอ

เป็นสำนวน หมายความว่า คนที่ต่ำต้อยได้ขึ้นนั่งบนพาหนะซึ่งเป็นของเจ้านายชั้นสูง มีความที่ละไว้ว่า จึงแสดงท่าโอ้อวด หยิ่งผยอง เป็นคำเปรียบที่ใช้ว่าคนที่มีลักษณะเช่นนั้นให้เห็นว่า ให้มีความถ่อมตัว ไม่สุภาพ ไม่น่ารัก ไม่น่าคบ คางคก เป็นสัตว์ที่มีผิวหนังขรุขระ น่าเกลียด เนื้อนำมาเป็นอาหารไม่ได้ เพราะเชื่อกันว่ามีพิษ จึงนำมาเปรียบกับคนที่ต่ำศักดิ์ ไม่น่ายกย่อง หากมีโอกาสได้รับการอุ้มชูให้อยู่ในที่สูงก็คงจะลำพองใจ ทำท่าไม่น่ารัก

I saw a phrase today that may be useful for those in long term relationships who want to praise their partner for still being as good a person as all those years ago, whether it can apply to beauty I'm not sure.

เป็นคนเสมอต้นเสมอปลาย

The article was about an English taxi driver in his sixties who was marrying two Thai women in their thirties, they were bosom pals who'd vowed never to separate. The taxi driver looked like Jimmy Saville with a short haircut.

Describing the wedding, the writer describes the Thai male guests as หนุ่มไทยตาร้อนผ่าว which perhaps could be described as wide-eyed with envy.

"...English taxi driver in his sixties who was marrying two Thai women in their thirties..."

How does that work, exactly? Muslims?