Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
RamdomChances

Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

On 9/14/2016 at 4:04 AM, mouse999 said:

gin naam dai sok  

กินน้ำใต้ศอก to drink water under the elbow, meaning having to accept you're second fiddle, ie a mistress not the wife.I read the origin comes from someone drinking water with cupped hands whilst a second person too thirsty to wait gulps the water running off the elbows of the first person! 

On 8/27/2016 at 3:59 PM, 2HughTaylor said:

Can you say 'Cup' as a short 'hello' (like hi) and as a short 'thank you', and 'please', 'you're welcome'...?

I always just 'cup' for saying thanks.

there's a lot of Thai television celebrities/presenters, who whilst paid a lot, seem only to ever say Khrup. Ka, or Na khrap,

although you won't often hear Na Ka (hope someone from Queensland doesn't try to say it, due to their accent!)

The Khrup/Ka are simple (lazy) ways for someone to agree with what's just been said to them.

The highly paid Show Hosts etc, get away with those so-few terms, for use in answering cr responding to everything said by other presenters

• Like 1

On 9/15/2016 at 6:27 AM, bannork said:

กินน้ำใต้ศอก to drink water under the elbow, meaning having to accept you're second fiddle, ie a mistress not the wife.I read the origin comes from someone drinking water with cupped hands whilst a second person too thirsty to wait gulps the water running off the elbows of the first person! 

Sort of like we say "sucking hind tit" in rural USA?

• Like 1

On 10/19/2016 at 2:05 AM, Damrongsak said:

Sort of like we say "sucking hind tit" in rural USA?

i wouldn't know about that Damrongsak as am jus a country boy from little ole UK but it sure sounds right. 

always a bridesmaid , never the bride is another phrase that comes to mind. Always taking a submissive or second place.

Here's a different one หน้าม้า literally the face of a horse, meaning a rented crowd/audience as in a game show where the audience is paid and told when to clap, react etc.

It can also mean like a decoy but that may not be the correct word, hopefully someone will come along and provide it-  as in a situation where one member of a cheating card gang pretends to be an innocent outsider playing .The gang let him win,  witless others see and join in, thinking they can imitate the winner, of course they lose all their money.

The UK post Brexit. Friendless and weak  หัวเดียวกระเทียมลีบ 

ลีบ means withered, blighted, atrophied so all you have is a garlic bulb with atrophied, blighted cloves. 

It's worthless and alone. Without company or friends for support you are weak and vulnerable.

In a similar vein- คนเดียวหัวหาย สองคนเพื่อนตาย สามคนกลับบ้านได้

Not sure if this is the right place to pose this question, but is there any sort of Thai saying/translation for "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"?

The reason I ask is that I have heard from so many Thai friends who want to move to the USA and work as they all believe that the streets are paved with gold and that life will be easy for them there.

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

Not sure if this is the right place to pose this question, but is there any sort of Thai saying/translation for "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"?

The reason I ask is that I have heard from so many Thai friends who want to move to the USA and work as they all believe that the streets are paved with gold and that life will be easy for them there.

อย่าเห็นขี้ดีกว่าไส้

yaa hen khee dee gwaa sai

Edited by onthesoi
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, onthesoi said:

อย่าเห็นขี้ดีกว่าไส้

Cool...thanks!

On 2/5/2017 at 3:42 PM, onthesoi said:

อย่าเห็นขี้ดีกว่าไส้

Took me a minute to understand that one. 

To stick to one's story, to deny an accusation, to insist one has not done anything wrong-(ยืน) กระต่ายขาเดียว (ปฎิเสธ)

I'm not sure what a one-legged or a standing on one-leg-rabbit has got to do with it.

On 2/6/2017 at 0:11 AM, Airalee said:

you can also say: คนในอยากออก คนนอกอยากเข้า ( kon nai yaak ohk kon nok yaak krao) which  literally means " the one who's inside wants to get out. The one outside wants to get in"

• Like 2