RamdomChances

Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

I can’t gainsay that, jump to conclusion came to mind when I read the ‘muscle queen’ complaint.
I am never in Thailand for the New Year now that I have retired, I call it สงคราม, so you are correct that I would avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I found this in one of my old thai teaching books. 

After being there for several years now and hearing those words all the time, I found it funny that it mentions " Foreigners should not use these words"

Image may contain: text

Andrew Biggs' weekly magazine column is funny today. Talking about the World Cup and gambling, he mentions sending a postcard with the predicted winner of the World Cup in to the Thai Rath newspaper in the hope of winning a large prize. Of course Andrew is not alone, there will be millions of other hopefuls.

This is not gambling Thais assure him, this is ลุ้นโฃค -performing an act in the hope good luck will come your way.

I like it!

I have just noticed this one and found that ลุ้น Is missing from my 2525 edition of the RID but found it in Longdoo.  I think that it must be a new word and ลุ้นโชค a new application.   

The newer definition has it as เอาใจช่วย and สนับสนุน and has an example: นั่งลุ้นฟุดบอล 

Without knowing any of that we are forced to guess what ลุ้น does to โชค, do you agree with Andrew Biggs? 

Posted (edited)

This American teacher has ลุ้น as rooting for (supporting, cheering on a team) 

Teacher Orm gives an example below where it could translate as keep your fingers crossed for..... 

https://www.gotoknow.org/posts/278291

Back to the Andrew Bigg's example of  ลุ้นโชค - -performing an act in the hope good luck will come your way. Perhaps we could simplify it.

tgeezer: 'Hello bannork fancy meeting you here at the post office. That postcard you are sending has no picture on it. Are you sure your friends in the UK will like it?'

bannork: 'I'm not sending it to the UK, rather I'm sending it to the Thai Rath newspaper. I'm praying/ hoping/ keeping my fingers crossed for good luck ลุ้นโชค regarding the World Cup winner. I've chosen England. If my postcard is picked out and England has won, I could win a few million baht!'

tgeezer: 'But England were knocked out last week, didn't you know?'

(bannork smacks his forehead, cursing Gareth Southgate and his broken TV). 

Edited by bannork
  • Like 1

I heard on the radio yesterday that there is an age above which a child can no longer learn a language, I can only guess what that means. I feel that I shall never speak Thai because although I try not to, I am often trying to find meaning in expressions which I have never encountered other than on the page.
The explanation of ‘by the way’ offered is not my experience, อย่าลืมนะ means what it says ‘don’t forget’.
เช่น เพื่อนจะไปเยี่ยมคนใดคนหนึ่ง ขณะที่เขากำลังออกจากบ้านคุณเรียกร้องว่า โอ อีกอย่างหนึ่งครับ อย่าลืมซื้อของ
“Oh, another thing..”
is closer to ‘by the way’ I in my experience.
However it is impossible to know the teacher’s experience, and almost impossible to transmit that to a Thai in any case, but it would be a disaster if the student thought อีกอย่างหนึ่ง but said “don’t forget” .
That is a simplistic way of putting it I know, but goes some way to explain my reservations on translation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I mentioned ลุ้น to a friend on Facetime this morning and later heard a footbal correspondent say that the Eng. Colombia match would have a lot of people 'knawing their fingernails'. This seemed to fit ลุ้น as described by my friend; he talked of waiting for exam results among other things. Is it possible that ลุ้นโชค as an answer missed the point of the question which suggested gambling?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

51 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I mentioned ลุ้น to a friend on Facetime this morning and later heard a footbal correspondent say that the Eng. Colombia match would have a lot of people 'knawing their fingernails'. This seemed to fit ลุ้น as described by my friend; he talked of waiting for exam results among other things. Is it possible that ลุ้นโชค as an answer missed the point of the question which suggested gambling?

I don't think so. The Thai answer to Andrew Bigg's query as to whether sending in a postcard with the predicted winner to The World Cup to the newspaper was gambling was that it was not.

It was simply an act that hoped/prayed for good luck as the end result, like crossing your fingers or touching wood

After all, 1 postcard in 10 million or more is really terrible odds which no serious gambler would entertain.

I am just referring to the differences in perception. Of course you are correct, in a situation where nothing is at risk then say ลุ้นโชค but we cross our fingers even when there is something to lose so not exactly ลุ้นโชค . My point is that we know the situation and we know what to say, no translation is necessary, isn't that the point of this thread?

I saw this one today in regard to the National Legislature Assembly's sudden decision to possibly dismiss all the incumbent inspectors of the election process.

ทำตัวเป็นไม้หลักปักเลน- to be fickle, to waver, to not be resolute

แคะขี้มูก to pick one's nose

แคะ- to take out, dig out

ขี้มูก mucus, snot, bogey

Sorry for the details, all for educational purposes naturally....

I saw this one today in regard to the National Legislature Assembly's sudden decision to possibly dismiss all the incumbent inspectors of the election process.
ทำตัวเป็นไม้หลักปักเลน- to be fickle, to waver, to not be resolute

Does it refer to the National Legislature or the Inspectors?

I see from the dictionary that ไม้หลักปักขี้ควาย (the main pillar (of a house) which is set in mud/buffalo poo.)is another way of putting it.
I wonder if ทำตัวเป็น is a better way of saying เหมือน .
I shall miss this old dictionary when I return to Bangkok.

I found โลเล for which only มีนิสัยไม่แน่นอน is given. But looking in Longdo I see that its meaning has widened to include speech. พูดจาโลเล
If you use Longdo you will see that it says โลเล ว. ไม่อยู่กับร่องกับรอย (มักใช้แก่กริยาพูด) พูดจาโลเล.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

แคะขี้มูก to pick one's nose
แคะ- to take out, dig out
ขี้มูก mucus, snot, bogey
Sorry for the details, all for educational purposes naturally....

I had a friend who used to like to point out to people that they were coy when picking their teeth but not when picking their nose!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app