Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

627 Bangkok Communities Under Water

167 posts in this topic

It's all about face. No emergency will be declared.

Crazy, they should keep people from breaking down sandbag barriers. That is an army job.

A state of emergency would protect the military from recriminations should it use brute force against civilians who it deems pose a threat to their efforts. The military can presently detain anyone that threatens or damages the flood barriers, but a state of emergency suspends the detainees legal rights and gives the military absolute authority. The MOI has all of the authority needed under the current legislation. Perhaps, the military does not like taking direction from the civilians at the MOI. Considering the past inability of the military to differentiate been a measured response and indiscriminate firing upon civilians, it is prudent to go slow on the request. A state of emergency should be used only if Bangkok is flooded. With Bangkok's high density population and the likelihood of civil unrest and widespread pandemonium and looting, it would be justified then.

So 3 different opinions it seems, pm says bkk will be safe, govenor not so sure and now the military calling for emergency measures.

Glad to see we are all on the same page.

In other news, tide is coming back in and river is rising as expected-looks similar to yesterday.

I didn't see 3 different opinions I see an extension of the same thinking but the military wants more power to protect and enforce and probably not a bad idea at this point with vindictive people damaging critical dykes..

Of course Bangkok is in danger if these vindictive scum bags keep intentionally damaging the dykes.

Is there a collection of photos anywhere on the net of this in Bangkok? Anyone know if the Thongo Lo area, soi 36 and soi 38 are under water? thx

Military wants PM to declare state of emergency in capital

The Nation

The move came after angry residents, particularly in Pathum Thani, which is immediately upriver from Bangkok, destroyed walls of sandbags built to protect important areas.

Seriously, what's the military going to do with a state of emergency: use snipers to murder any residents who try to destroy embankments?

I don't know and I really hope not, but anyone who destroys the walls to increase the flood on purpose, should be pointed as an enemy of the state! <_<

Amazing humanity... :blink:

Over the years, the state has made changes to the natural flow of water in order to flood = damage/destroy some people and help others. Now, they are doing it even more so, and the people who are losing, and may have lost everything, are in no mood to listen to someone on a pedestal telling hem why it is best to keep the hastily built flood walls up which destroy their homes and livelihoods.... for the good of the country?? They hardly believe it!

Since taking office the current government has been pre-occupied more with amnesty for the puppet PM's fugitive big brother, transferring power to red shirt bureaucrats and reneging on campaign promises and PT completely failed to recognize the impending flood crisis until it was too late.

Only when the floods began to inundate several provinces in the Central Plains and threaten Bangkok did the government begin to treat the problem seriously by establishing a flood relief operation center at Don Mueng airport.

Justice Minister Pol Gen Pracha Phromnok is directing the center. Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop heads the relief operation. This is the same genius who came up with the laughable scheme to use boats to push water out of the Chao Phraya river... :blink:

And isn't it strange that the provincial governors, who are close to the people and well positioned to respond to their needs, work under Interior Ministry and yet Interior Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit do not have any role at the flood relief operation center?

Admitting the government was slow to respond, Mr Plodprasop told one TV program that: ''We came late, but better than not at all.''

Gee, thanks Plod, that makes me feel so much better... NOT!

So I read with some relief that Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra has recognized the incompetence of the national government and has decided to take matters into his own hands.

The sun is shining and inner Bangkok remains dry. So far so good, but we're not out of danger yet!

Crazy, they should keep people from breaking down sandbag barriers. That is an army job.

Perhaps, the military does not like taking direction from the civilians at the MOI.

Considering the clear incompetence of the present government can you blame the military for their aversion to following the direction of clueless Ministers like Plodprasob Surassawadee?

I suspect that there's a lot more breaking down barriers than is being reported. The PM mentioned it several times in her speech the other day.

People who have been submerged for weeks are getting to be very resentful of their neighbors who are still dry and protected, so they are knocking down the barriers that keep the water on their land.:ermm:

Yea there are two sides to the coin. But flooding others will only mean that the relief when it comes will cost more and take longer.

But people are resenting the PM for protecting BKK, will cost her votes.

No it won't: She'll promise 400 Baht minimum salary, a tablet pc for every child and that in 6 month everyone will be rich and the sheeps will vote for her again.

That way it worked in every democracy the last 100 years. People just don't remember longer than 6 month.

She'll promise 599 baht minimum salary, A MAC slim notebook for all Thais, wireless roads to go online, and free beer and Lao Khao for all villagers under the age of 99.....jap.gif

Perhaps, the military does not like taking direction from the civilians at the MOI.

Considering the clear incompetence of the present government can you blame the military for their aversion to following the direction of clueless Ministers like Plodprasob Surassawadee?

Yep... Plodprasob is a fraking idiot, where did they find him

I assume that Yingluck remembers very well that the military cannot be trusted with a state of emergency, that is what Prayuth has to live with. He and his generals are no longer trusted with such powers.

and still, the baht remains unchanged.

Not quite. It's down 2 w/USD (~6 %) from its high on August 7. The question is how far down will it go. I'd advise to hold on any exchanges as long as possible. I'd probably be wrong, as usual, w/r to this.

USD/THB Exchange History

post-120659-0-70168100-1318656734_thumb.

The reason why military want " State of Emergency" because .............

......they will get more benefits such as higher pays ,special compensation, double work days calculation ( for promotion and higher pay when they retire ),

blah blah ......

just for their own good.jap.gif

Yep... Plodprasob is a fraking idiot, where did they find him

Could it have been wandering around somewhere in the forest?

The declaration of a state of emergency doesn't magically give the military more resources.What it does do is suspend due process and whatever civil rights that happen to exist.Basically it means the army gets to round up and/or shoot whomever they want, and to take and use private property and equipment as and when they see fit.

I suspect that there's a lot more breaking down barriers than is being reported. The PM mentioned it several times in her speech the other day.

People who have been submerged for weeks are getting to be very resentful of their neighbors who are still dry and protected, so they are knocking down the barriers that keep the water on their land.:ermm:

Yea there are two sides to the coin. But flooding others will only mean that the relief when it comes will cost more and take longer.

But people are resenting the PM for protecting BKK, will cost her votes.

No it won't: She'll promise 400 Baht minimum salary, a tablet pc for every child and that in 6 month everyone will be rich and the sheeps will vote for her again.

That way it worked in every democracy the last 100 years. People just don't remember longer than 6 month.

She'll promise 599 baht minimum salary, A MAC slim notebook for all Thais, wireless roads to go online, and free beer and Lao Khao for all villagers under the age of 99.....jap.gif

You have my vote!

I assume that Yingluck remembers very well that the military cannot be trusted with a state of emergency, that is what Prayuth has to live with. He and his generals are no longer trusted with such powers.

And why???

If the military want to stage a coup it can make it with or without emergency laws.