Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

627 Bangkok Communities Under Water

167 posts in this topic

A good explanation of why the reluctance to an emergency decree can be found in this post:

The post was made by geriatrickid.

A good explanation of why the reluctance to an emergency decree can be found in this post:

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4766518

It's not an explanation, it's a supposition. And here's my response:

Considering the clear incompetence of the present government can you blame the military for their aversion to following the direction of clueless Ministers like Plodprasob Surassawadee?

I don't find it a good explanation at all. In fact I'd say it's nonsense. I note Yingluck finds the military the proper tool for conveying her incompetent ass around the flooded zones. She just doesn't want to extend that same privilege to others.

And that was my sole attempt to keep the thread from running completely off-topic.

50cm or 1m flooded....not much difference in damage. 1 day in water or a week in water...that does matter.

Prayuth cannot be trusted.

This is a national emergency and everyone has to pull together. It seems to me that the reasoning here is that Prayuth, a loose cannon if ever there was one, doesn't like taking orders and is insubordinate.

There may be ulterior motives at play here as well to undermine confidence in the government ie gamesmanship in an national emergency!

Over the years that I was in Thailand, numerous times when upcountry I heard of rich Bangkok people buying land upcountry that was way above sea level... the city is below sea level with most of the original canals that allowed the water to flow away filled in, it is inevitable that the place will eventually implode and turn to dust - all those skyscrapers are built on poor quality soil that is continually inundated by water and they will fall down one by one. Fantastic energetic city but built on ether, may survive this flood and the next but eventually the whole infrastructure will go bang.

So 3 different opinions it seems, pm says bkk will be safe, govenor not so sure and now the military calling for emergency measures.

Glad to see we are all on the same page.

In other news, tide is coming back in and river is rising as expected-looks similar to yesterday.

Now why would you think that they would be on the same page??? That's ridiculous: PT is in charge, but the Dem. governor wants his party to gain face so he sits on the fence uncommitted, and (of course) the military want to be in charge again with their puppet PM...

You think the army might seize her strings?:D

Just to keep it in perspective. We live right on the river and our flood wall is working fine. This morning's high tide came to 40cm from the top of the flood wall. All good then? er....no. Our neighbouring soi (hi-so condo block, we live in a lo-so swamp) has no flood wall as they are a "Marina" (they have 1 boat and a jet-ski) and therefore they don't have a flood wall. This is this morning (our soi's water was being pumped out and was around 1.5m below our neighbouring soi).

post-68756-0-51860400-1318663786_thumb.j

We'll see what happens when the flood water arrives properly then.

Perhaps, the military does not like taking direction from the civilians at the MOI.

Considering the clear incompetence of the present government can you blame the military for their aversion to following the direction of clueless Ministers like Plodprasob Surassawadee?

Yep... Plodprasob is a fraking idiot, where did they find him

Could it have been wandering around somewhere in the forest?

I believe it was in a kitchen in Chiang Mai. Which of course makes him well trained and qualified to be a Science and Technologic Minister.

I have seen quite a few pictures of RTA working their butt off trying to help with not a gun in sight, and why would there be. GK shows his usual bias with his "keep the murderous bastards under control" rhetoric, but if barriers need defending who will do it better?

BTW if PTP really wants to bring in a B300/day minimum wage, where would it be easier and more deserved than conscript soldiers?

Over the years that I was in Thailand, numerous times when upcountry I heard of rich Bangkok people buying land upcountry that was way above sea level... the city is below sea level with most of the original canals that allowed the water to flow away filled in, it is inevitable that the place will eventually implode and turn to dust - all those skyscrapers are built on poor quality soil that is continually inundated by water and they will fall down one by one. Fantastic energetic city but built on ether, may survive this flood and the next but eventually the whole infrastructure will go bang.

Well I think they will muddle along. I remember being told how in Egypt the builders used Nile water to mix up the concrete, full of impurities, whilst building the Hilton and other skyscrapers and that as a consequence they were listing but they're still there.

Maybe in 15 years we'll be underwater here. Daimler will have to start producing motor launches.

Is there any link to actually watch video of the flood areas in Bankok proper anywhere

Why not using 10,000 submarines to push the water away? jap.gif

In similar flooding situations I have witnessed in the US, it is not unusual, it is in fact common for the government to call up National Guard forces to aid in construction, rescue, evacuation, sheltering efforts. Only the military has the cross regional organization, equipment, manpower and bases of operation to offer any really coordinated assistance to those millions affected by these floods.

edit: Also I love that first photo, showing the spirit of Thai people to face their challenges, often with no government assistance whatsoever.

Reminds me a lot of Government assistance given to New Orleans (Op's wrong Government!)

Over the years I have lived here (30 to be exact) I have never heard of rich people buying land upcountry - they usually just help themselves to forestry reserve land and build what they want (that way they can save their money to invest on the Stock Exchange (SET) and get involved in insider trading