nong38

Nakhon Sawan News

2,291 posts in this topic

I live in the sticks, the last house on a dirt road and the last telephone hookup on the line.  Back in the early 2000s it took me 6 years just to get a TOT modem installed to use the internet, but it was limited to 1M download due to the distance to the amplifier.  A few years ago,Ttey upgraded the trunk line and installed another extender amp closer, 974 meters, and I have been using it at about 5-6M download, 490 baht/month, and thought that was it!  Last week TOT came to the house offering fiber, 50M download, 20M upload, for 700 baht/month and no installation fee.  I signed up thinking that it would be another 6 years before it happened, but they came back on Friday and installed the line and came yesterday and hooked up the new router.  Right now I'm getting 50.2M download and 18.9M upload to Bangkok. 

The next hurdle to cross will come when a sugar cane truck breaks the line and the repair is not a simple twist of the two copper wires.  But, for some reason the cane trucks this year are not overloaded and I haven't seen even one turned over so far. 

Will wonders ever cease

1 person likes this

ID: 2277   Posted (edited)

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:36 PM, wayned said:

I live in the sticks, the last house on a dirt road and the last telephone hookup on the line.  Back in the early 2000s it took me 6 years just to get a TOT modem installed to use the internet, but it was limited to 1M download due to the distance to the amplifier.  A few years ago,Ttey upgraded the trunk line and installed another extender amp closer, 974 meters, and I have been using it at about 5-6M download, 490 baht/month, and thought that was it!  Last week TOT came to the house offering fiber, 50M download, 20M upload, for 700 baht/month and no installation fee.  I signed up thinking that it would be another 6 years before it happened, but they came back on Friday and installed the line and came yesterday and hooked up the new router.  Right now I'm getting 50.2M download and 18.9M upload to Bangkok. 

The next hurdle to cross will come when a sugar cane truck breaks the line and the repair is not a simple twist of the two copper wires.  But, for some reason the cane trucks this year are not overloaded and I haven't seen even one turned over so far. 

Will wonders ever cease

Well done TOT and you. They do seem to be getting there act together.

I have been using TOT for years, but lately they have got themselves sorted.

Was paying just over 1.050bt for 25mb also with Fibre optic. Went into their office a few months ago was told that I could have for a price of 600bt receive 30mb or pay up to 800bt for 90mb.

Like you chose their 700bt set up, now getting give or take 60mb pleased is not the word, quick as you like also a 350bt a month saving.  Some friends have chosen their 800bt thing and they are getting 95+mb. I always paid for 2 months at a time now pay the same amount and get 3 months.

Needless to say that the only slow up I get is T/Visa that sometimes takes 30 seconds or so to get into. Everything else is instant.

At present am in the UK (Mum none to well) am paying £25 a month for a whole "if lucky 4/5mb" BT internet the worst company I have ever used. Charge for everything and crap service.

Oh to be back in the land of a so called 3rd world country. Away from high prices for no service where no Bugger smiles. 

Keep sitting in the fuel station and waiting several minutes before realising that you have to do it yourself for over double the price Petrol.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals.   

Edited by fredob43

I'm sorry that your mom is not well again and that you are having to go through this.  It must be a very trying time.  If you need anything here just let me know.

Now that the fiber has been in and operating for a week everything is still good with download averaging between 40-50Mbs.  But, I just can't wait to see what happens when one of the cane trucks snaps the line and it has to be repaired, not like twisting two copper wires together!

It's funny, every website has really gotten better except TV.  It the same old sluggish BS full of nonsense advertisements but I still do use it as it sometimes gives reliable info.  I'd complain but I'm still using XP and would get the "standard" answer from George that they no longer support the antiquated software that I am using.

Looks like you have been having some acceptable weather as I have been watching the 6 nations rugby.  It reached 39.5 in my living room yesterday afternoon so summer is here in full bore.

I just couldn't imagine self service gas stations here, it would be total chaos!

1 person likes this

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:37 PM, wayned said:

I'm sorry that your mom is not well again and that you are having to go through this.  It must be a very trying time.  If you need anything here just let me know.

Now that the fiber has been in and operating for a week everything is still good with download averaging between 40-50Mbs.  But, I just can't wait to see what happens when one of the cane trucks snaps the line and it has to be repaired, not like twisting two copper wires together!

It's funny, every website has really gotten better except TV.  It the same old sluggish BS full of nonsense advertisements but I still do use it as it sometimes gives reliable info.  I'd complain but I'm still using XP and would get the "standard" answer from George that they no longer support the antiquated software that I am using.

Looks like you have been having some acceptable weather as I have been watching the 6 nations rugby.  It reached 39.5 in my living room yesterday afternoon so summer is here in full bore.

I just couldn't imagine self service gas stations here, it would be total chaos!

Sorry to say Mum went Wednesday morning around 8am.

Has been a bit hectic.

Almost done now, as luck would have it my Daughter is a solicitor and is doing all the paperwork. 

All should be sorted in the next day or two. With only the probate to sort out. That'll take several week if not months. Might with a bit of luck be able to get back in a few weeks. Can finalise most bit's over the internet or by Phone.

Nice having a smart arse in the family.

Suggest you change to a newer set up Wayne XP departed years ago.

Using 8 here and 10 in K.P.P. Windows 10 is real pain till you sort it out. Once you put all the bit's you use on your home page you can get out of the main set up. It'll then work fine.

33 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Sorry to say Mum went Wednesday morning around 8am.

Has been a bit hectic.

Almost done now, as luck would have it my Daughter is a solicitor and is doing all the paperwork. 

All should be sorted in the next day or two. With only the probate to sort out. That'll take several week if not months. Might with a bit of luck be able to get back in a few weeks. Can finalise most bit's over the internet or by Phone.

Nice having a smart arse in the family.

Suggest you change to a newer set up Wayne XP departed years ago.

Using 8 here and 10 in K.P.P. Windows 10 is real pain till you sort it out. Once you put all the bit's you use on your home page you can get out of the main set up. It'll then work fine.

Sorry to hear about your Mum, Fred.

It happens to us all and in my case it was back in 1973 while I was in the RAF and 12 days from being posted to Germany. The RAF generously moved my flight date from the Saturday morning to the following Monday afternoon.

Probate was no problem as she didn't have much. The bungalow was rented though the agent said that if I wanted to buy it I could but I was still single and off to Germany in a few days so I said no.

We buried my Mum the Monday after she died on the Wednesday. I went back and stayed with friends sometimes but after 1974 I don't think I went back more than a dozen times between then and now.

My TOT WiNet connection is going down about once a week now and though 3BB ran a fibre optic cable past the house in November despite repeated promises of next week it might not realise until June or July or even next year.

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

Sorry to hear about your Mum, Fred.

It happens to us all and in my case it was back in 1973 while I was in the RAF and 12 days from being posted to Germany. The RAF generously moved my flight date from the Saturday morning to the following Monday afternoon.

Probate was no problem as she didn't have much. The bungalow was rented though the agent said that if I wanted to buy it I could but I was still single and off to Germany in a few days so I said no.

We buried my Mum the Monday after she died on the Wednesday. I went back and stayed with friends sometimes but after 1974 I don't think I went back more than a dozen times between then and now.

My TOT WiNet connection is going down about once a week now and though 3BB ran a fibre optic cable past the house in November despite repeated promises of next week it might not realise until June or July or even next year.

Thanks for you nice words Bill.

The funeral is going to be on the 4th April. Yes know it's a bit late but it was a time issue.

Looking forward to returning asap after that. Daughter will deal with everything this end. I can do my bit via the internet and phone (Skype)

Probate will take as long as it takes. Then it'll be sell the house. Carry on with what remains of my life.

Bloody freezing here so do need some warming up.

H/M.K.P.P

Fred to locals.

1 person likes this

ID: 2282   Posted (edited)

The road madness has started here.  I went to the local walking market early this morning, more like a zoo!  If you are going south on highway 11, a two lane road, you have to drive on the shoulder as the north bound traffic has taken over both lanes.  Got home okay and the truck will be parked where it is until next Tuesday.  My only trip will be the walk down the road on Friday to take my yearly ceremonial shower and have a couple of glasses of whatever they are serving!  Have a happy and safe New Year!

Edited by wayned
2 people like this

Good on yer Wayne, just curious which is the big (bad) day for traffic going back to Bangkok?

Going out to the bank and for a few scoops, then I will not be out till Sunday at the earliest. <deleted> Songkran.

2 people like this

13 hours ago, rott said:

Good on yer Wayne, just curious which is the big (bad) day for traffic going back to Bangkok?

Going out to the bank and for a few scoops, then I will not be out till Sunday at the earliest. <deleted> Songkran.

H/M returned today 12th. Left BKK Airport at around 4pm. 9 was moving well due to it being free of costs. 

Traffic was heavy but at least it moved.

Going south to BKK on the 1.32AR was almost empty. Usual Cock up nearer to BKK going both ways. But once north of Ang Tong going north seemed to be flowing fine. Albeit they were still driving like crazy even using the hard shoulder at high speed, normal I suppose.

They were by the way lobbing water, I thought that started on the 13th???

K.P.P was empty not a sole about. I have been informed that most of the lunch time restaurants have closed for the duration.

No doubt H/H will find some open tomorrow. Will of cause be in the Limo with windows up

Will also be at the back of any places that are open. At least they don't go crazy here.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, fredob43 said:

H/M returned today 12th. Left BKK Airport at around 4pm. 9 was moving well due to it being free of costs. 

Traffic was heavy but at least it moved.

Going south to BKK on the 1.32AR was almost empty. Usual Cock up nearer to BKK going both ways. But once north of Ang Tong going north seemed to be flowing fine. Albeit they were still driving like crazy even using the hard shoulder at high speed, normal I suppose.

They were by the way lobbing water, I thought that started on the 13th???

K.P.P was empty not a sole about. I have been informed that most of the lunch time restaurants have closed for the duration.

No doubt H/H will find some open tomorrow. Will of cause be in the Limo with windows up

Will also be at the back of any places that are open. At least they don't go crazy here.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

Welcome back to the warmth of paradise. Glad to see you got back safely.

I have a couple of friends from Germany staying though they go back to BKK tomorrow and Germany on Monday night.

A clump of the BKK family came up last night for Songkran but I will not be going far from the stronghold until next week and absolutely nowhere on the motorbike.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Welcome back to the warmth of paradise. Glad to see you got back safely.

I have a couple of friends from Germany staying though they go back to BKK tomorrow and Germany on Monday night.

A clump of the BKK family came up last night for Songkran but I will not be going far from the stronghold until next week and absolutely nowhere on the motorbike.

Went out for lunch today lots of places open. Some of the local ones were closed though. The G/L doesn't venture to far on the M/C.

No buggers were lobbing water came back to the house without a single drip on the Limo.

Out again tonight for yet more dinning H/M doesn't do eating in or cooking on his first days back.

Must say the weather is very pleasant was 38c 99f at 1pm. Just the thing to warm the old bones.

Whatever much better than what I left in Blighty that's in single figures this week.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

1 person likes this

ID: 2287   Posted (edited)

No Easter Eggs and now five days in and free of alcohol, how much can one farang take??

Well nothing can be done about the former, but tomorrow I will venture out for a few pints and hang the dangers to life and limb.

Welcome back Fred.

Edited by rott
edit: Mrs R has returned saying that much water is still being heaved about. will review sitrep on the morrow.
2 people like this

7 hours ago, rott said:

No Easter Eggs and now five days in and free of alcohol, how much can one farang take??

Well nothing can be done about the former, but tomorrow I will venture out for a few pints and hang the dangers to life and limb.

Welcome back Fred.

I stocked up on Hong Thong whisky for me, Blend 285 for 'er indoors, soda, coca cola for the kids and ice. My wife went out to do market shopping, The kids played Songkran whilst I skulked at home totally relaxed. My motorbike stayed parked for a week at home.

Sadly no Easter eggs though.

Well that went off OK. Hmmm, Hong Thong and Blend 285, you two must be popular at parties. If this was the UK they would put you next to the fire to keep the kids away. But here I suppose you just sort of blend in.

Good natured joshing and banter aside, the bulk of it is over and we are almost back to normal. Saw no water at all yesterday, but the dragon says tomorrow is the major and final event.

Getting a bit hot, but it has not been as bad as the last two years, must check the long term forecast and see when the regular rain is due.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, rott said:

Welcome back Fred.

Thank you for the welcome back. Its been a tad busy in Blighty. Mum passed a few weeks ago. Sad time for all she did get to 96 so had a good innings. Brain still as sharp as a knife but her body just gave up.

Everything went well. Daughters dealing with everything enabling H/M to return and take it easy.

Have given TV a bit of a miss, mainly due to not being able to get on line 'as normal' 

Off for a short holiday on the 24th, so wont be about to keep you lot in order. It would be nice if you can stay sober Bill.

News on K.P.P. not a lot of water lobbing this year had been out several times and didn't see one bit. There must have been some maybe I just missed it.

Will be back on the 2/3 May. Time then to have a catch up.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

2 people like this

I the Bill you were talking to was me, I hate to see part empty bottles.