mrmazinkle

UK pensions

3,374 posts in this topic

Isn't it possible to move back to the UK for a few months...get your pension back in line then head back to Thailand?

Worth doing perhaps every few years...

Isn't it possible to move back to the UK for a few months...get your pension back in line then head back to Thailand?

While back in the UK you will get full pension with all entitlements but on moving back to Thailand your pension reverts to what it was on the initial claim.

Sorry they got you all ways.

:-(

1 person likes this

I've thought of this too, but I suspect they will return you to the amount you were receiving before you went back to the UK, i.e. back to square one, you only get the increase while you are in the UK. Not sure about this, but I'd bet on it!

I believe that after you inform them that you are back in UK, you will be entitled to the current rate of pension for the duration of your visit, and once you have left again for Thailand you revert back to your original pension.

We used to have a chap living up here who, to be perfectly truthful was too honest for his own good. The person in question was ex-forces (WW11 vet) and then worked for years for BT. He used to go back to UK two times a year, and before he would leave, he would send the pension people a letter to let them know how long he would be back for and when he intended returning to Thailand, as he had declared himself as ex-pat and this was the right thing to do.

He still had property and family in England and from what I understood in those days he was spending enough time in UK a year (his trips were generally 2-3 weeks at a time) to claim for the whole pension. Now I am a great believer in following the law, sometimes close to the line, but regardless following it.

In this persons case, mainly through pride, he chose to be honest with his government. Whereas I have nothing but admiration for his beliefs, I still think he was stupid in what he did and not claim what I believe he was entitled to. He was not a rich man, but he got by on his forces/BT & reduced state pension.

His choice followed him to the grave as for the pension his spouse received when he passed away.

Hence my little rant earlier in this thread about pensioners staying at home and using Thailand as a holiday location. Just wanted to clear that one out.

2 people like this

this really does have sweet jack shit to do with thailand

ID: 10   Posted (edited)

Have to add though, that when I retired here I had been assured by the tax people that no tax would be payable on the private pension. We moved here, tax was deducted and, querying it, were told the advice we had been given was wrong...

You pay tax on all income generated in the UK once you've used up your personal allowance.

Edited by endure
2 people like this

ID: 11   Posted (edited)

Well that looks like that then, until the next time!

Then we will do it all again, or will we?

Seriously I wouldn't know what to put in a PM, at this present moment in time in the UK with the ongoing financial world crisis, the problems in Europe etc, could or would you expect an MP getting up in the house with UK citizens facing job loses and cuts and putting the question :-

" I want all UK pensioners living abroad who have had their pensions frozen in certain countries where have chose to live to have all their backdated rises not received, paid in full and annual increases given."

Can you picture the response, I don't think any consideration would be given or the fact that :-

They don't get use of the NHS ambulance services or doctors in the UK.

They don't get to use free bus & train passes.

They don't get any winter payment allowances.

They don't get the use of our police force.

Our fire service etc.

I wouldn't think there would be any support from pensioners stuck in the UK either.

The response would be " More Money What shock1.gif they don't have contribute 44 years now only 30 years, they don't pay Purchase TAX or V.A.T. in the UK." " Sit down you fool " " Next ".

I do feel sorry for some especially the ones who wanted to stay in Thailand but was left no choice but to go back home, the fact it would end up costing the UK more because of it, would not even be brought up.

Edited by Kwasaki
2 people like this

ID: 13   Posted (edited)

I remain of the opinion that my NI contributions mirrored those payed by pensioners currently living in UK/EU or favoured countries therefore I will be short changed upon attaining pensionable age.

And I remain of the view - because it's a fact, not a view - that your NI contributions were insurance premiums which covered you for a huge range of benefits including unemployment, national health service, maternity cover, funeral benefits etc etc, and that the state pension is a very small part of that.

The sooner people stop thinking of NI contributions as a personal pension plan with a pot of money allocated to them somewhere in the government's coffers, the better.

Furthermore, talking about websites originating in 1995 is nonsense. It is encumbent upon anyone likely to be relying on the state pension to enquire themselves about the impact of leaving the country on that pension when they are considering leaving.

How can it be anyone else's responsibility? All it takes is a call to the relevant authorities.

What do people want? Do they expect the immigration officer who stamps you out at LHR to ask every Brit:

1) Are you leaving to emigrate?

2) Do you think you'll rely on the UK state pension?

3) Do you know that it will be frozen in certain countries.

Come on people - it's your life, it's your future - take responsibility for it yourselves.

Edited by bendix

I have pinned this topic

any other threads started to discuss UK pension issues will be closed

to make this thread most useful, please make sure you all keep this one ONLY UK pension funds related.

(sorry that means the humorous posts will have to stop on this thread)

1 person likes this

let me remind everyone nicely

enough of the off topic posts and the bickering.

any more of such posts, and this thread will be closed. which means no more discussions of non thai related issues