mrmazinkle

UK pensions

3,374 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Apologies for going off topic,

Does the statement regarding uprating of pensions , mean that the government is intent on reaching a deal. Otherwise under UK present laws I cannot see how it is lawfull, without a reciprocal social security agreement the statuary instrument/regulation preventing pension uprating will need to be either abolished or amended

I guess the government will find it quite easy to argue that whatever arrangements they make with the EU do not affect arrangements they have anywhere else in the world. I don't think the matter of uprating pensions for UK residents in the EU will feature much in Brexit negotiations. They don't need the permission of the EU to pay pensions to UK citizens there, any more than they really do to pay us here in Thailand. That's what is so stupid about those "reciprocal agreements".

Of course, there is the matter of pension rights acquired by EU citizens who retire from the UK to their own country - in that case, the EU should be very keen to make an agreement; whether they call it a "reciprocal agreement" or something else is unlikely to assist our cause very much, I fear.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I guess the government will find it quite easy to argue that whatever arrangements they make with the EU do not affect arrangements they have anywhere else in the world. I don't think the matter of uprating pensions for UK residents in the EU will feature much in Brexit negotiations. They don't need the permission of the EU to pay pensions to UK citizens there, any more than they really do to pay us here in Thailand. That's what is so stupid about those "reciprocal agreements".

Of course, there is the matter of pension rights acquired by EU citizens who retire from the UK to their own country - in that case, the EU should be very keen to make an agreement; whether they call it a "reciprocal agreement" or something else is unlikely to assist our cause very much, I fear.

Messrs Bottomly, Gale, Blackford & the remainder of the APPG won't let them get away with that, nor will the Consortium.

Messrs Bottomly, Gale, Blackford & the remainder of the APPG won't let them get away with that, nor will the Consortium.

But they will get away with it the bstards always do

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

That is not my thoughts.

At present pensions are uprated in the EU due to agreements with the EU which will come to an end on Brexit, depending upon negotations.

The mere fact that the government have stated it is the UK's intention to maintain this uprating suggests that either a deal will be completed or the UK will have to change the existing laws/regulations , as reaching a number of reciprocal arrangements with the individual countries is not feasable given the timescale this would require

Seriously I wouldn't know what to put in a PM, at this present moment in time in the UK with the ongoing financial world crisis, the problems in Europe etc, could or would you expect an MP getting up in the house with UK citizens facing job loses and cuts and putting the question :-
" I want all UK pensioners living abroad who have had their pensions frozen in certain countries where have chose to live to have all their backdated rises not received, paid in full and annual increases given."
Can you picture the response, I don't think any consideration would be given or the fact that :-
They don't get use of the NHS ambulance services or doctors in the UK.
They don't get to use free bus & train passes.
They don't get any winter payment allowances.
They don't get the use of our police force.
Our fire service etc.
I wouldn't think there would be any support from pensioners stuck in the UK either.
The response would be " More Money What shock1.gif they don't have contribute 44 years now only 30 years, they don't pay Purchase TAX or V.A.T. in the UK." " Sit down you fool " " Next ".
I do feel sorry for some especially the ones who wanted to stay in Thailand but was left no choice but to go back home, the fact it would end up costing the UK more because of it, would not even be brought up.

Hi I see you liked a sarcastic comment from meat boy on a what I thought serious post I put up today that was closed regarding indexing. Glad you find this amusing just wanted to help people. Just for info I am not of state retirement age for 11 years yet and am comfortable on a company pension and could manage without it. Of course I researched it before I came just don't find it fair and wanted to do something about it. If this is the reaction from people no wonder you aren't getting anywhere. Good luck with it all I'm off back in the pool

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, chezy86 said:

Hi I see you liked a sarcastic comment from meat boy on a what I thought serious post I put up today that was closed regarding indexing. Glad you find this amusing just wanted to help people. Just for info I am not of state retirement age for 11 years yet and am comfortable on a company pension and could manage without it. Of course I researched it before I came just don't find it fair and wanted to do something about it. If this is the reaction from people no wonder you aren't getting anywhere. Good luck with it all I'm off back in the pool emoji41.png

:shock1:  Can you prove that's my post because if it is l was l probably had 1 or 2 Chang beers too many.  

Also l don't have pool l use a friends local hotel one.  :laugh: 

Stay in the Philippines, holiday in Thailand ...... job done, pension back to normal.
Residency is a matter of opinion. So why tell anyone you LIVE in THAILAND (it's just stupid).
I live in the Philippines (1 week every 6 months) and holiday in Thailand (the other 25 weeks each 6 months).
Pension claims totally legit.

Sounds like a plan to me haha

ID: 3371   Posted (edited)

You would need an address of course to give the pension office and for them to send those life forms out to and to have them sent on to the person 'on holiday', sounds like a good idea to me.

Edited by Orton Rd

I cant believe that anyone living outside the UK would pretend that they did live there , 

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

I cant believe that anyone living outside the UK would pretend that they did live there , 

When you leave the UK you become a second-class citizen in so many different ways, not just because of a "frozen pension". Your entitlement to NHS hospital treatment ceases, you can't open any new bank or savings accounts (even if you can hang on to your existing ones), you lose the right to vote after 15 years, you're not even supposed to renew your driving licence, - those are the ones that spring to mind immediately, I'm sure others can add some more. Perhaps more out of envy than logic, there are plenty in the UK who think these restrictions are perfectly justified.

There are plenty on this forum who think it is justified to pretend that they are still resident in the UK. I can't say whether that is right or wrong. If you can sustain the fiction, good luck to you. Personally I prefer to sleep at nights and everybody, DWP, HMRC, banks, etc, are aware that I live in Thailand.

1 person likes this