Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buchholz

Kidnapped American Girl Found In Thailand 5 Years Later

Kidnapped American girl found in Thailand 5 years later

SYRACUSE, New York - Authorities say a Syracuse-area girl abducted nearly five years ago by her non-custodial father has been found in good health in Thailand.

Onondaga County Sheriff Kevin Walsh says Deonna Shipman, now 8, was found just over two weeks ago by the FBI in Bangkok and is back in the county. Walsh says Tuesday she'd been missing from the town of Salina since July 2007 after Jeffery Shipman took her and fled the country.

Read more:

http://www.myfoxny.c...x#ixzz1p8Qd18gA

aplogo.jpg

-- (c) Associated Press 2012-03-14

kidnapped.png

screen capture of victim Deonna Shipman from video news

Girl abducted by her father in 2007 found safe in Thailand

When a child has been missing for 4 years, the news is normally not good, But that's not the case for Deonna Shipman. YNN's Bill Carey said the young girl is back home after a journey that took her thousands of miles away.

Article and Video News continued here:

http://centralny.ynn.com/content/top_stories/577001/liverpool-girl-abducted-by-her-father-in-2007-found-safe-in-thailand/

Abducted girl, 8, found safe in Thailand and returned home; dad faces charges

Salina, NY -- A Salina girl, abducted by her father in 2007, has returned home after being found safe in Thailand, according to Onondaga County sheriff's deputies.

Deonna Shipman, now 8, was found in Bangkok last month with her father, Jeffery Shipman, 51, who did not have custody of the girl, said Sgt. John D'Eredita.

Jeffery Shipman was found Feb. 24 and arrested on an FBI warrant on international parental kidnapping charges, D'Eredita said. He was arraigned in Los Angeles. Shipman had been on the FBI's Most Wanted List. Sheriff Kevin Walsh said he did not know how the FBI tracked them down in Thailand.

Continues:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/abducted_salina_girl_8_found_s.html

The Post-Standard / March 14, 2012

. Sheriff Kevin Walsh said he did not know how the FBI tracked them down in Thailand.

a law enforcement sheriff has no idea how to track a kidnapper who has been identified to the authorities ?

first ,they check his passport number in the central database,then they know the last time he flew and into which city

then ,check his atm .credit cards and see where he has been withdrawing cash ,then you have his neighbourhood /areas he frequents (say sukhumvit rd etc )

then you check how many farangs are in rented homes and guesthouses in this area (you cant rent anything anymore without your passport copy and landlord must sent that to immigration ,even if u only stay a night ) ,talk to locals about seeing a man with a little farang girl etc and show pictures of him to all the thais in that vicinity

and you will probably have him arrested within 24 -48hrs

how can a "sheriff" go in the media and say silly things "well,i dont know how ,but they found him etc "

its like homer simpson policework licklips.gif

The information given is thin at best.

Anyways, I pity the poor bastard, as well as the child.

If, as the report indicates, the child was healthy and happy upon being found, he was obviously doing something right, however misguided.

She certainly wont be happy once he gets banged up. I know my daughter would be gutted if i were to suddenly be removed from her life.

We will never know what motivated him, though if someone tried to take my child, i would be off like a shot. however if the direction is reversed the crime is significantly lessened

shipman_jeffery_enlg.jpg

The accused, Jeffrey Shipman, from public domain records for missing children

The last 5 years he spent in Thailand. Anyone recognize him?

whatever happended before , its never good to use a child for personal vendetta specially after a louzy divorce ... not to mention that this little girl needs her mother as well .... I dont know all the details of the story and have no idea about their life but to fleed your country with your kid is never the best solution.

. Sheriff Kevin Walsh said he did not know how the FBI tracked them down in Thailand.

a law enforcement sheriff has no idea how to track a kidnapper who has been identified to the authorities ?

first ,they check his passport number in the central database,then they know the last time he flew and into which city

then ,check his atm .credit cards and see where he has been withdrawing cash ,then you have his neighbourhood /areas he frequents (say sukhumvit rd etc )

then you check how many farangs are in rented homes and guesthouses in this area (you cant rent anything anymore without your passport copy and landlord must sent that to immigration ,even if u only stay a night ) ,talk to locals about seeing a man with a little farang girl etc and show pictures of him to all the thais in that vicinity

and you will probably have him arrested within 24 -48hrs

how can a "sheriff" go in the media and say silly things "well,i dont know how ,but they found him etc "

its like homer simpson policework licklips.gif

That's probably why it took the FBI 5 years to find her rather than the 1 to 2 days you would have taken.

"The mother will return from Russia and be re-united with her daughter"

Was she a mail order bride he got while he lived in America maybe and like many, once they receive their green card they are off looking for better and richer guys? There has been many documentaries about these types of inccedents and I know we are only speculating now but I'm willing to bet he did the right thing weather it is legal or not by fleeing the country with his daughter.

In America the courts pretty much lean towards the mother about 80% of the time in a custody battle in divorce courts and it's about time this changes. I know in Canada over the past 10 - 15 years the courts have been changing and giving the "fathers" a better deal on these matters.

The big shame here now is that because he did this ilegal, he will now most likely end up in jail and the daughter will be ripped from his arms and end up in her mothers arms who she does not really know and most likely end up back in Russia, then eventually in Pattaya. What a life for the poor innocent girl.

Mmmm... interesting! I am glad they found her, and I am glad she will get to see her Mum again. What gets me is how the Father is condemned without any of us knowing the full story. In the U.K. especially Fathers have little to no rights to there own children. Some Fathers (who have never been abusive e.t.c.) having no access at all to there child. Maybe this guy ran for the same reason, not for vengeance or a vendetta; but simply to raise his daughter. By all accounts he wasnt doing a bad job of it! He was misguided in running off like this, but I dont think he should be vilified on here for his actions. IF i ever had kids and I had no access to them, for NO reason, I cant say that I would do any different!

Sounds like possibly

a good father up against a conniving russian greencard bride

who was using the child as leverage and not love, or worse,

and the father took the child he loves to get her away from trouble.

Or maybe he is a nut case, but he doesn't look the part.

Or maybe BOTH parents are nut cases.

Agreed, none of us really know the full story here. However too many times people just assume the male is in the wrong and the child needs her mum more. I think it is an outdated idea that women these days are more nurturing and more suitable as parents than men. As women strive for equality in all area's and focus on careers, then courts should recognise this and stop basing judgements on past morals and ideals!

Why is it that a wife from another country has to be a mail order bride ? Lots of people travel the world and meet locals , I have ex military friends that have wives from the Philippines, Mexico, France, Russia, Brazil and Thailand, none of them are mail order brides.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com