Thailand Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lite Beer

Over 1 Million Thais Are Infected With Hiv/Aids

PaulHamon    333

1 million Thais / 3.5 billion baht for next year

3,500 Baht per person....

I was at a orphange for children born with HIV, dropped off by parents at the door, or have passed away.

around 100 children, thru no fault of their own :(

was very sad... no government funding, there is a temple next door..

the head-monk build a super high wall to block them out.... not his problem, they're all bad people.

very say...

was there as songkran last year, spend a week with them, installing masive water collection tanks donated by Aussie charity.

the orphange was spending to much money they had on purchasing enough water to keep the kids clean.

klubex99    937

Hmmmmm Nice to see that they are increasing the budget from 3 baht per infected patient, to a staggering 3.5 baht per infected patient.... Won't even buy half a paracetamol.

Yet look at that budget compared with the latest report on ministerial salaries being sucked out of the economy. One guy already had about 13.5 million baht in his first 6 months in office..... Is it just me?

Woooops misread it... Billion = 3500 baht... thats more like it $115 makes a lot of different.

happysanook    527

the number of infected is definitely way higher as they have no way of knowing those who haven't tested or wont.

unless the estimate is already factoring this in...

and on another side note, the typical HIV subtype (subtype e) in thailand is far more likely to be transmitted by heterosexual sex than the typical subtype (subtype B ) in the west... (80% hetero transfer in thai compared to 10% in the west)...

crap, the B ) coming out as a guy with sunglasses.

Robroy    25

With 1 in 60 Thais infected, that would surely mean a much higher proportion among sex workers.

One in 7?

One in 5?

(Here in Cambodia it's one in 8.)

dude007    122

Wonder how many females?

me too: more than males...

klubex99    937

This map says it was 1-2 % in 2008, so about the same (I'm guessing their very round 1 million figure is an estimate)

Still if that's the general population then for working girls and boy it must be much higher, perhaps 5 % is not unrealistic.

I would assume in the tourist areas it is lower than in the boonies up north and in Isaan. Where it is mostly Thai men doing the business.

csolgosz    13

Enforcing sex education in ALL schools and in a National TV program would help. Not mentioned in the budget expenditure - not important maybe. Wouldn't like to admit that it REALLY happens...

tonypace02    269

Figures.

My current and previous girlfriends had no clue about contraceptives and STDs.

When I first came here 20 years ago every girl insisted on condom use for fear of HIV. Now they all say they don't like condoms and don't want me to use one. And I'm not talking about hookers here, but girls you would consider educated and with an ability to think about the future.

The 20-25 age group in particular seem to have no fear of HIV at all.

Two years ago a 38 year old woman I was dating but had made no commitment to said the same thing to me. I learned later that she believed, correctly in fact, that if she got pregnant by me, I would marry her. She did not know, however, that I had had a vasectomy when I was 35. Being 25 and single, most likely they are also looking to become spouses of farang.

anterian    350

There is a hidden problem in this, this HIV virus is adapting to its human host and becoming less aggressive, put simply where at one time infection was a one year death sentence, now it is more like 5 to 10 years. Putting this in perspective it means a much longer period of support and medication for those infected.

kirk0233    270

This seems to be rather old news. According to the Thai Red Cross: AIDS started to spread into Thailand in 1984. As of 31 July 2000, a total of 149,266 people were reported to suffer from full-blown AIDS. It was estimated, however, that approximately 1 million people or 1 out of 60 people nationwide were infected with HIV. When considering only the population between 20-40 years of age, the ratio was 1 out of 40. AIDS was the number one cause of death in several major provinces surpassing heart disease, cancer and accidents. Men account for two thirds of all AIDS deaths because the illness spread among men before it infected women. http://english.redcross.or.th/content/page/954

About the same number of HIV infected as in the U.S.A. which has about five times the population. Not good.

Not good, but not surprising in the slightest.

johnh101    53

Not wanting an argument.....but.....

I remember reading an article a few years ago that said that the profession in Thailand with the highest incidence of Aids / HIV was actually long distance lorry drivers who haul Thai goods across all the neighboring countries in SE Asia.

BookMan    9,288

With the number of foreign men that come here and also have unprotected sex it becomes a much larger problem, not just a Thailand problem.

All the men heading back to Australia, USA, UK, Europe, Russia, India , Korea etcetera etcetera with the chance they can pass it on to their wife/GF/next partner.