BANGKOK 10 December 2018 09:14
Sign in to follow this  
misterhe

Warning - Pattaya Now Has Alcohol Breath Testing In Daily Use

coming soon - speed cameras! they just need to work out the speed limits on every road first...

Wow - sounds like quite an experience - and kudos to you for your honesty in relating it all here.

This type of random breath-testing has been a long time coming to Pattaya IMO and I for one think its a great idea. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen expats drinking in a bar and then leave under their own steam on a bike or in a car. And there's no excuse either as there are alternate modes of transport available.

Lets hope that this measure will bring down the road accident statistics.

Yeah I saw that group of police the other day early hours of the morning. Looked like they meant business. I just hope its not another fashionable stage that police and local politicians like to go through just to look serious. I hope they make it stick and not let people just pay their way out of it.

I am sceptical, not of the theory or principle but of the practice. The idea is great and should be implemented more but I fear it wont be done properly and will be subject to corruption and treated as more opportunity for revenue.

Speed cameras are already being used on the highway between Samut Sankran and the split where you can go to Phetchaburi and Hua Hin. I've not only seen them but about 4 months ago my wife's uncle got a letter from the police in that area indicating a B400 fine was to paid for traveling 120 kph. My wife had borrowed his car and was , indeed, photographed by one of the portable speed camera traps. We paid the fine via the post office and now when driving in that area I keep it below 115 kph. I can only imagine the amount of money the local police could make if they had these set up on the highways between Bangkok and Pattaya.

• Like 1

Quite an ordeal.

I only drink at home, but these rubber boots, do they have a size eleven?

As to bribes, if the breatho units are new toys they probably have to generate some legitimate income for a while to cover the purchase costs..

Edited by necronx99
  • Like 1

The unofficial fine is set to increase when the trials and tribulations are well-known. :rolleyes:

An interesting report, they have been doing this in Udon Thani now for 6 months or more and I personally know 2 Farang who went through a similar experience with similar fines.

I'm curious as to the calibration record of the device and/or whether it can be abused for personal gain.

Most interesting an informative misterhe I am sure the members will appreciate the heads up.

Good post.You admit your mistake.If anyone continues to drink and drive after reading your post hten they are seriously stupid.

Whenever i go have some fun i never drive.

• Like 1

Blood alcohol levels chart here.

I trust members will be reporting common locations for the checkpoints. Not that I'm overly worried. :)

Great warning post OP that should be taken very seriously by all of us that do or have in the past drunk and drove/rode.

I had a lucky escape a year or more ago where i was fortunate enough to be able to bribe my way out of the situation, but it taught me a lesson and i now do not drink and ride

An excellent post, thank you for your time in doing so. Scary for those who flount the law and reassuring for those that don't.

I put my hands up to being one of the former in the past. Now 'cured'.

Paul 1.