Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
thaiman

New Passport - Transfer Stamp From Old Passport

I just got a new passport and have to transfer the entry stamp from the old passport. The person at the embassy told me I can do this at any departure point when I exit Thailand, but he recommended I do it at the immigration office.

Is it better/easier to do this at any immigration office as opposed to the border/airport departure?

Does it cost any money to do this?

Unless you are on an extension of stay immigration will likely tell you to do on exit - it seems they only want to do if have to make new extension of stay stamp in the new passport.

I just had stamps transferred into my new passport today at the immigration office. They used a full 2 pages of my new passport. My old one was not expired, just out of pages. At this rate my new one will be out of pages in 2 years or less ...

If you are leaving the country anyway, it will probably save you space in your passport to just transfer stamps on exit and get an exit stamp as opposed to a new extension of stay.

• Like 1

I tried to do this (transfer stamps), at my local office a couple of months ago - they weren't interested. Told me to use both passports (old & new), if I wanted to leave Thailand. Tried to explain that under UK passport rules, the old passport is cancelled when the application is received for the new one, again they weren't interested.

I had the transfer of stamps done recently with my new US passport and there is an immigration department procedure available for this purpose...

Edited by Mario2008
flame removed

I tried to do this (transfer stamps), at my local office a couple of months ago - they weren't interested. Told me to use both passports (old & new), if I wanted to leave Thailand. Tried to explain that under UK passport rules, the old passport is cancelled when the application is received for the new one, again they weren't interested.

There is no problem having your valid visa in a 'cancelled' passport.

I've had my stamps transferred from cancelled passport to valid passport a number of times at immigration. No fee required.

• Like 1

Immigration no longer provides this service at office locations unless on an extension of stay or perhaps lost passport. If a simple visa entry you just present both passports at border when you leave and any notation will be made then. This was not an announced change but from all reporting I have seen in recent months is effective everywhere.

If here on an extension of stay (like many of us) you continue to do upon receipt of new passport at your local immigration office. There should not be any charge involved but copies will be required and a short form to fill out.

Hi - just want to clarify this if possible.. I am here on an extension of a NON -IMM ED visa, which I received from studying my BA here.. I just recently got a new passport because the old one was going to expire.. My current visa is good until mid May, then I will be starting the process to get my new non-imm b + work permit for a job I am starting around the middle of next month.

Should I bother going to immigration in order to transfer my current visa / extensions into my new passport? Or will this just be ignored/taken care of when I exit the country? Will be doing a land visa run to Laos to get a TR which will then later be converted in-country.

Was just a bit confused at the previous posts because I am not sure if the OP was talking about in counry extensions (on a visa) or if he was just doing visa runs with exit dates etc etc..

Thanks for your help and big thanks to Lopburi who has been deligently helping me for 7 years now.

I would make the trip to immigration first (especially if a long way from border) as border point may be hesitant to allow your departure until taken care of and they have not provided the extension so likely will ask you to return to office providing (especially if Nong Khai as have seen several reports of turn-around there).

Hi - just want to clarify this if possible.. I am here on an extension of a NON -IMM ED visa, which I received from studying my BA here.. I just recently got a new passport because the old one was going to expire.. My current visa is good until mid May, then I will be starting the process to get my new non-imm b + work permit for a job I am starting around the middle of next month.

Should I bother going to immigration in order to transfer my current visa / extensions into my new passport? Or will this just be ignored/taken care of when I exit the country? Will be doing a land visa run to Laos to get a TR which will then later be converted in-country.

Was just a bit confused at the previous posts because I am not sure if the OP was talking about in counry extensions (on a visa) or if he was just doing visa runs with exit dates etc etc..

Thanks for your help and big thanks to Lopburi who has been deligently helping me for 7 years now.

I got a new passport last year. I transferred the non-imm b visas into the new passport at immigration office, then 2 weeks later I renewed my visa for another 12 months.

Edited by whybother

Ok, I'll do the trip to Chaeng Wattana and clear it up there. Don't want to bother with any risks at the border!

I have previous read something about needing a letter from the embassy/consulate inre: transferring stamps or something.. Canadian consulate didn't mention anything at all about that, but hopefully I will be ok with both passports and my valid visa stuff.

Thanks again for the help!

When you old passport is made non valid ( in case you received a new one ) this means that you can not use it any more for travel identification purposes.

The visas in the old passport always remains valid until the visa expire date regardless of the passport.

If you don't transfer the visas into you new passport you will have to travel with both passports and provide both passports at immigration.

The new one for confirming your name etc and the old to confirm your visa status.

In case you have a long stay visa they can ask you to transfer the visa into the new passport which you can do at the immigration office

Immigration no longer provides this service at office locations unless on an extension of stay or perhaps lost passport. If a simple visa entry you just present both passports at border when you leave and any notation will be made then. This was not an announced change but from all reporting I have seen in recent months is effective everywhere.

If here on an extension of stay (like many of us) you continue to do upon receipt of new passport at your local immigration office. There should not be any charge involved but copies will be required and a short form to fill out.

Transferring the entry stamp from your lost passport into your new passport is always possible but you need the police report as supporting document.

This transfer should always be done before leaving the country as this can cause problems / delays when leaving the country.

Similar for me. Korat transferred the current dates into the new passport but obviously cannot transfer the existing Non Imm O stamp.

Absolutely no problem with using 2 passports (the old one has the corner cut off) - the new passport is for traveling on the old one simply carries the current visa.

I have come into Thailand from the UK once, Malaysia once and Cambodia 4 times without immigration batting an eye-lid.