Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PoodMaiDai

Buying A Kindle In Chiang Mai?

PoodMaiDai    1,317

You can download books here in Thailand (and magazines, and mp3) to Windows and Android, using Kindle apps. Also store to cloud and read via wifi or 3G if your device accepts 3G.

But then you're not reading on a reading device, though some suggest using computers and tabs for periodicals with color, or Fire.

I have a vpn, too, but am not interested in Fire. It's plain reading Kindle I like.

What kind of battery life do you get on your plain Kindle?

CMX    135

Battery life,

I've never carefully measured, but Amazon claims 15 hours of reading at the pace of 30 minutes per day for a month (with wi-fi turned off) in their cheapest model.

I've no reason to doubt it, although with a good book going, I've had to plug in after a few days. Can read while charging.

Nobody's mentioned it (as it's obvious, I suppose), but the device, when purchased in the States, with its own small wall charger, is OK here with the big volts.

VerbalKint    103

Battery life is amazing, I use it for about an hour every day, and charge it not more than once every month.

I have the wifi-only version and only turn on wifi when I buy books.

The reason for me to buy it was that I got frustrated with the fact that so many books are not available here in Thailand, the added bonus is that ebooks are simply cheaper, and after buying they are ready to read in a minute or so.

The only negative I found is that organising your books on it is annoying, I use Calibre (freeware) for that but some software with an iTunes like interface would be good, if anyone has better software...

highonthai    91

All the books I have, I just drag and drop to the Kindle.

Keep all of them in a folder on my hard drive.

I hate itunes and refuse to use it!

WinnieTheKhwai    6,808

Careful with that advice; my mom killed her first Kindle that way.

Put the thing on the floor and dropped Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" right the *(#& on top of it.

TravelTeach    15

I'm only wanting this for reading. I figure a Kindle will be cheaper than continuing to have books shipped to me that I can't find in Thailand.

You are correct. It's like making the move from having CDs shipped over, to all of a sudden discovering MP3s.

CMX    135

Careful with that advice; my mom killed her first Kindle that way.

Put the thing on the floor and dropped Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" right the *(#& on top of it.

Baudolino does the same thing, but it takes a lot longer.

Actually, my Kindle, which I foolishly buried in my checked baggage, was not somewhat safe behind a lock, because U.S.Aians in uniforms won't let us lock them and make a big fuss if we do. Somehow, that reader - filled with good friends - lost its way home via BKK, Narita, and home (where the bag appeared early). My advice - even though 'they' might hassle you, carry the Kindle with your person. Only had 1:10 at Narita, too, but those chaps are quick. Or, hmm.

uptheos    11,109

I use my kindle all the time when I am offshore. I have over 7500 books on my computer which I transfer a selection of to my kindle before I go away.

If you buy one though, get a decent case for it as well.

Well, that should keep you going until you're about 300 years old......agree that a case would be essential for that amount of time.biggrin.png

PoodMaiDai    1,317

Guys, I'm looking at the Kindle Touch on Amazon ($99) and see it does not come with a charger, however, they offer a USA charger as an add on.

What charger did you get with yours? I know I can use my USA bought electronics here, but not sure if this charger is correct or not.

Thank you.

TommoPhysicist    2,624

Guys, I'm looking at the Kindle Touch on Amazon ($99) and see it does not come with a charger, however, they offer a USA charger as an add on.

What charger did you get with yours? I know I can use my USA bought electronics here, but not sure if this charger is correct or not.

Thank you.

You don't need a charger, assuming you have a USB socket somewhere in your household.

(I can't believe anyone in this day and age doesn't have one)

CMX    135

Thank you.

If you get the Kindle (Amazon) power adapter now, it's 10 dollars with the purchase of the Touch. It charges up your Kindle in 4 hours. If you're going to be away from a computer and a USB connection for some while (fifteen hours of reading, let's say), you might want the adapter.

As mentioned above in #33, the small device is good for our voltages here (up to 240) and its U.S. style prongs fit here in Thailand.

There is a ton of info on the Amazon Kindle site, some videos too as I recall.

jingjoke    75

'... I'm looking at the Kindle Touch....'

Excellent choice; so now go for it and proudly report back when you receive and have tested it.

Good luck

The OP sounds like he's well on the way to choosing an e-reader.

For others who are reading this thread though ... who may not want to buy an e-reader just yet, or who are slowly deciding, but want to download and read a Kindle e-book sooner rather than later ... well, you can download a free Kindle e-book reader that will let you read kindle books on your desktop or laptop. You can probably find a download link just by googling "Kindle for PC", or I have a link near the bottom of this page: www.burning-bison.com/ebook.htm

mallmagician    80

It should be noted that there is talk of Amazon releasing a kindle with an inbuilt light, to illuminate the page when reading at night. That would suit me great, as I usually read in bed, but it's worth considering waiting if it would also suit you.

Of course, you could also buy their lighted cover which is very nice.