Thailand Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Samui & Phangan Still Without Power For 2Nd Day .story Continues With Updated Info & Suggestions.

spidermark    11

Zero political inspiration. Just a desire for competence, or is that not a concern to you? Is the concept of leadership too fat fetched in this land. Or does the majority of tourists abandoning the 3rd most popular tourist destination warrant concern?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my Samsung SIII

Ned    77

Why do I like hearing news like this? My brain's really stuffed up. I long for a multi year drought for Phuket for example. ......Total gridlock on the streets of Bangkok. People stuck in cars for days....chaos......collapse. Where can I get help?

MUSTYJACK    254
High voltage cables are a strange thing and failures do create massive effects .

Nonsense.

Why are you making excuses for the incompetence and the arrogance with which public servants treat the population here.

If the equipment was used within its limits and underwent the correct maintenance by properly trained engineers then it wouldnt fail.

It doesnt fail in Paris, It doesnt fail in Tokyo and it doesnt fail in Hong Kong. So why has it failed in Koh samui, and why, after 3 days have they not been repaired. I read that the one engineer who could solve the problem had to be flown down from Chiang Rai, (was he busy repairing underwater cables there too?)

Is Samui so impoverished it cant afford to maintain its infrastructure, cant afford to pay for competent engineers to look after its systems?

sbk    2,042

Where on earth did you get the idea that EGAT is run by Samui?

MUSTYJACK    254

Are you saying that EGAT have no resident engineers on Samui, no officials with responsibility for their area, nobody with the authority to effect a repair to the islands main supply, or do the Samui minions have to go grovelling up the chain of command until someone can authorise repairs?

Pomthai    2,507

A relatively simple problem with a relatively simple solution. Its called "Preventative Maintenance". Unfortunately this country runs on 20/20 hindsight viewed through rose tinted glasses along with a generous helping of blind luck, - which just doesn't cut it in the real world. Nothing is maintained here, nothing. They only bother to fix anything once it has catastrophically failed. Take tires for example, they don't replace them once worn, the preferred method is wait until they explode. Same guiding principles go for almost everything.

In summary; Mai Phen Rai...... Booom. Ops. wasn't me.... Someone else fault.

MUSTYJACK    254

I just tried to access the PEA (provincial electrical authority, Thailand) website, only to be informed by Google Chrome that access was blocked due to possible infection by malware.

You couldnt make some of this stuff up.

Amateurism doesnt even come close.

sbk    2,042

Are you saying that EGAT have no resident engineers on Samui, no officials with responsibility for their area, nobody with the authority to effect a repair to the islands main supply, or do the Samui minions have to go grovelling up the chain of command until someone can authorise repairs?

Thailand is a highly centralized country, every level reports to a higher level. For example; Samui govt has no authority over songthaews. They are under the Provincial Dept of Land Transportation which is under the National Dept. of Land transport, just as an example (before someone starts in on me saying whats this got to do with songthaews). If you don't grasp the basic way this government works then you won't understand how these things can occur.

EGAT is, like all governmental organizations, a top down bureaucracy. Making high level decisions without superior authorization is not going to happen. This cable is extremely expensive and very very expensive to repair, I find it very hard to believe that some medium level amphur based technician has authority.

wellred    646

I'm due to be there in a few weeks time. Think ill cancel the hotel booking now. No way I'm going there without electricity.

sbk    2,042

I'm due to be there in a few weeks time. Think ill cancel the hotel booking now. No way I'm going there without electricity.

Pretty sure they will have electricity in a few weeks

BusyBee123    91

Thailand is a highly centralized country, every level reports to a higher level. For example; Samui govt has no authority over songthaews. They are under the Provincial Dept of Land Transportation which is under the National Dept. of Land transport, just as an example (before someone starts in on me saying whats this got to do with songthaews). If you don't grasp the basic way this government works then you won't understand how these things can occur.

EGAT is, like all governmental organizations, a top down bureaucracy. Making high level decisions without superior authorization is not going to happen. This cable is extremely expensive and very very expensive to repair, I find it very hard to believe that some medium level amphur based technician has authority.

The bottom line for me is being a state owned service there are no penalties to pay when the service is not provided so no real sense of urgency compared to what would happen if it were privately owned, then you would see some rapid repairs as the penalties kicked in for non provision of service! you would also see a better state of the provision in general, government jobsworths have no incentive to provide a decent level of service. This is typical of any public sector service in the world, full of overpaid jobsworths who wouldn't know how to make a decent cup of tea.

Maipenrai007    48

Ok latest up date....No one knows how to fix the cable but they are trying to fix it, no one knows if that will work because they don't know what they are doing. If its not working by Saturday it won't be working on Sunday. If its fixed and working Sunday week it could be still ok and going on the Tuesday before that. As for Wednesday next week no one wants to commit to that but I have heard if its not up and running on Thursday then it definitely wouldn't have been back on by Wednesday.

That is the official explanation I got from the Mayor, Govenor and the PM.

Finally at least these guys are starting to make some sense of the situation.

Tropicalevo    2,137

Overview of rolling power outage. Please note that it indicates parts of areas. Loop is 14 hours.

Thank you Gulfsailor. At last - some useful information thumbsup.gif