BANGKOK 22 October 2018 02:40

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Thai Govt's First-Car Tax Rebate Scheme Causing Traffic Jams

+1

Without the slightest doubt this gigantic 4% increase in vehicles on the road is the cause of all of the new traffic mayhem.

?"

Actually if traffic is approaching the tipping point a very small percentage increase will make the difference between easy flow and no flow.

Not saying this is relevant to already-clogged Bangkok, but it IS relevant in somewhere like CM.

The traffic management is just following the lead of the rest of the non productive civil servents, Blame someone/something over which they have no control, for their lack of results, to a problem which they are there to solve.

The newspapers/reporters could have a form statement to fill in 3 blanks,

Who is being interviewed/position

What problem is being ignored

Where or at whom can the fickle finge of blame be pointed

I heard you get the 100k realized up front, but if you sell prior to the five year period, you have to pay the 100k back. I really want to see how this one will work. Probably split the cost with the new buyer?

Typical of the Thai government. Do first, think later.

No you do not get 100K up front, you purchase a vehicle (1.5 lt & under) then you lodge all your documentation with the tax officer prior to the 31st Dec 2012. It can then take up to 12 months to get your 100K refund. My wife's niece and nephew both took advantage of scheme and then my wife considered it but she decided against the idea as she was afraid that if it takes 12 months for the refund the government may not still be in power or the government may run out of money. The scheme is only for 1st time car owners also but many people are buying the names of sons, daughters and cousins etc. For a lot of people it is impulse buying and you may find the 2nd hand car market flooded in 12 months when the finance companies and banks come knocking at the doors of those who failed to make repayments.

If that first car policy really took effect at the end of October this year,... be prepared for Christmas and New Year!!!!!!!!!! You know what I mean???welcomeani.gif

In the morning 15 minutes on the back of a motorcycle to BTS Victory Monument, zigzagging along. Only to practice the 'how many fit in a tin can' game. The fun of it all

Public transport in Thailand is beyond abysmal.

If that is what you think then I very much doubt that you use it.

Yes plenty of new cars about with red plates, I have time to see them when I sit on the bus.

Up here in CM, there is a significant increase in traffic and lots of new vehicles with no plates yet. There is a thread on the CM forum that confirms that, and it's not over yet, as it was so popular that lots of vehicles are sold out and have heard that the buyers have to wait until 2014 to get their vehicles. Meanwhile no new construction or widening of roads is noticed.

The most obvious trait about these first time owners is that they drive like 1st time drivers.....argaaaah!!

Why do they need to build new roads? In 3 or 4 years there will be a high speed rail service and people will be selling their cars.:blink:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Up here in CM, there is a significant increase in traffic and lots of new vehicles with no plates yet. There is a thread on the CM forum that confirms that, and it's not over yet, as it was so popular that lots of vehicles are sold out and have heard that the buyers have to wait until 2014 to get their vehicles. Meanwhile no new construction or widening of roads is noticed.

The most obvious trait about these first time owners is that they drive like 1st time drivers.....argaaaah!!

Why do they need to build new roads? In 3 or 4 years there will be a high speed rail service and people will be selling their cars.blink.png

In addition to that, by the next election, the government have said that all 10 planned Bangkok train lines will be under construction.

Public transport in Thailand is beyond abysmal.

If that is what you think then I very much doubt that you use it.

Yes plenty of new cars about with red plates, I have time to see them when I sit on the bus.

Public transport is not abysmal in Bangkok. It's too many bloody cars that slow down the busses & vans - not forgetting the abysmal police traffic 'controllers'. There are boat 'busses' (ferries) on some of the klongs & the river plus the BTS & MRT.

The governments first house scheme was a good idea but the car scheme was an ill-thought-out populous give-away.

Oh, heck, just lengthen the green lights by another 30 seconds. Worked last time, didn't it?

The number of new cars on the road in Bangkok is very noticeable, particularly on Saturdays, however, since the number of registered vehicles in BKK was already growing by more than 7% / year (since 2004) prior to the new policy, it is no surprise that congestion continues to get worse.

Why do they need to build new roads? In 3 or 4 years there will be a high speed rail service and people will be selling their cars.blink.png

In addition to that, by the next election, the government have said that all 10 planned Bangkok train lines will be under construction.

More road closure and construction, but with a yearly increase in registered cars, get ready for the deadlock 2013,... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif