Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Four Democrats Seek Bangkok Governor's Post

Recommended Posts

GUBERNATORIAL ELECTION

Four Democrats seek city governor's post

ATAPOOM ONGKULNA

THE NATION

30196409-01_big.JPG

File photo : Sukhumbhand

BANGKOK: -- Four candidates from the Democrat Party have expressed their intention to run in the Bangkok gubernatorial race, a party source revealed yesterday.

It was the first time the names of potential Democrat candidates for the post have been revealed. The names popped up during a party seminar in Hua Hin.

They are: incumbent Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Pari-batra; former deputy Bangkok governor Prakob Jirakitti; former deputy prime minister Korbsak Sabhavasu; and Apichai Techaubon, a former assistant to the PM's Office minister. Prakob is backed by former party secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban.

Another potential candidate is former finance minister Korn Chatika-vanij, though he remains noncommittal. Nevertheless, Korbsak's aspiration to run in the race signals that Korn is unlikely to run.

Sukhumbhand yesterday spent almost two hours presenting his policy platform. He cited a recent poll conducted by his party showing that his chances of winning the election would be about the same as Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan's - at 36 per cent and 35 per cent, respectively - if the Pheu Thai Party fields her. However, he said his chances were greater than those of possible Pheu Thai candidate Pol General Pongsapat Pongcharoen, at 35 per cent to 30 per cent.

The Democrats' selection committee, led by former party leader Banyat Bantadtan, is expected to make its decision on Monday(December 24), but will announce the candidate after January 10, which is the last day of Sukhumbhand’s term, said a source who asked not to be named.

Sukhumbhand earlier voiced scepticism over the results of an opinion survey that suggested his popularity trailed that of his Pheu Thai Party rival Pongsapat.

The survey curiously took a sample of respondents from 16 provinces without screening whether they could or would cast votes in the capital, Sukhumbhand said.

"I am certain that I will be nominated by the Democrat Party in my re-election bid," he said.

The incumbent governor unveiled his campaign on Monday, highlighting a platform of reduced fares for BTS Skytrain and the BRT bus services.

He said his campaigning was a routine activity and was not aimed at pressuring his party into endorsing his candidacy.

"The campaign platform is meant as a pledge of action for the next governor under the Democrats' banner," he said.

He said the fares for the two extended routes of the BTS services would be cut from Bt15 to Bt10 per trip.

The fare cut would pay for itself by boosting passenger numbers, and would also offer an additional incentive for motorists to switch to the mass-transportation system, he said.

His term expires next month. The election will take place in February.

City clerk Ninnart Chalitanont chaired a meeting to ensure preparedness in organising the balloting for the gubernatorial race.

Ninnart reminded city officials from all 50 districts that they were obliged to be neutral during the campaigning period.

Registration is scheduled to start on January 14. Balloting is tentatively scheduled for February 17. Officials have set a goal of 70-per-cent voter turnout.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The survey curiously took a sample of respondents from 16 provinces........."

Which would make the margin of error so large that the results are meaningless. Though it looks like Sukarat got the message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just what the BTS needs! an increase in numbers. Already you cannot get on the dam_n thing from Phrom Pong anytime after 7am. If he wants to cut the congestion they have to increase the frequency of trains, or increase their carriage numbers. One would have thought they would have done this due diligence prior to the original opening of the extended line. I go out of my way now to avoid the BTS, and take the MRT instead which is a far more pleasant experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just what the BTS needs! an increase in numbers. Already you cannot get on the dam_n thing from Phrom Pong anytime after 7am. If he wants to cut the congestion they have to increase the frequency of trains, or increase their carriage numbers. One would have thought they would have done this due diligence prior to the original opening of the extended line. I go out of my way now to avoid the BTS, and take the MRT instead which is a far more pleasant experience.

Where do you get on the MRT? for me its more packed both ways in rush hourS that the BTS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The survey curiously took a sample of respondents from 16 provinces........."

Which would make the margin of error so large that the results are meaningless. Though it looks like Sukarat got the message.

And just what message is it that Sudarat got? She has been saying since August she will not be running for the post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just what the BTS needs! an increase in numbers. Already you cannot get on the dam_n thing from Phrom Pong anytime after 7am. If he wants to cut the congestion they have to increase the frequency of trains, or increase their carriage numbers. One would have thought they would have done this due diligence prior to the original opening of the extended line. I go out of my way now to avoid the BTS, and take the MRT instead which is a far more pleasant experience.

Where do you get on the MRT? for me its more packed both ways in rush hourS that the BTS!

I get on at Asok and go to Lumpini in the morning and vice versa in the evening. The front of the train on the way to work is busy but the back is normally pretty empty as everyone gets out at Asok. On the way back it is slightly busier but still comfortable. I imagine anyone going from Asok towards Bang Sue in the evening would be pretty grim though. Perhaps I am just lucky on my getting on and offs at those times and destinations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just what the BTS needs! an increase in numbers. Already you cannot get on the dam_n thing from Phrom Pong anytime after 7am. If he wants to cut the congestion they have to increase the frequency of trains, or increase their carriage numbers. One would have thought they would have done this due diligence prior to the original opening of the extended line. I go out of my way now to avoid the BTS, and take the MRT instead which is a far more pleasant experience.

Where do you get on the MRT? for me its more packed both ways in rush hourS that the BTS!

I get on at Asok and go to Lumpini in the morning and vice versa in the evening. The front of the train on the way to work is busy but the back is normally pretty empty as everyone gets out at Asok. On the way back it is slightly busier but still comfortable. I imagine anyone going from Asok towards Bang Sue in the evening would be pretty grim though. Perhaps I am just lucky on my getting on and offs at those times and destinations.

Try getting on at Rama 9 coming in in the morning or Petchaburi going out in the evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I understand, I get off at Asok in the mornings, and join the scrum to get back on heading north in the evenings.

I get on the BTS at Asok (after many disembark) heading towards Siam in the mornings, its generally ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I understand, I get off at Asok in the mornings, and join the scrum to get back on heading north in the evenings.

I get on the BTS at Asok (after many disembark) heading towards Siam in the mornings, its generally ok.

I don't envy you doing that journey. I always contemplated how nice it would be working north of Asok both going and returning from work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:"Prakob is backed by former party secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban."

Kiss of death...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The survey curiously took a sample of respondents from 16 provinces........."

Which would make the margin of error so large that the results are meaningless. Though it looks like Sukarat got the message.

And just what message is it that Sudarat got? She has been saying since August she will not be running for the post.

How about if you can't get a reasonable percentage from outlying provinces where they CAN"T vote for you, then it's hardly worth the attempt. and for every denial there's been another "maybe" including a kiss-thaksin's-butt holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Korbsak Sabhavasu... Why is that name familiar? He isn't the same Korbsak that was in charge of spending 20 billion baht to promote the Sufficiency Community throughout Thailand, was he? Which was essentially Thaksin's SML scheme in Sufficiency Economy robes?

I recall that the corruption involved raised a monumental stink, moreso than even Thaksin's original scheme, and it got so bad that Korbsak had to resign. No problem though - the Democrat Party protects its own, and instead of investigating him or pressing charges, Abhisit appointed Korbsak as his personal advisor. Around that time, I remember bumping into Korbsak's son, Bib, at Fallabella as he was showing off his daddy's shiny new XX million baht Benz to some party girls.

- Corruption in the name of XXX

- Impunity from investigation

- Children raking in all the $$$

... yup, seems like perfect qualifications for being Governor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 23 May 2018 06:16
Sponsors
×