samuijimmy

For The Birds !

On 2/24/2018 at 2:52 PM, Ron19 said:

A Willy Wagtail, only had a 18/55 lens on. No time to change and put the 75/330 on. Real pity, there were two and only 5 metres away.

Couldn't crop it down further, bad enough as it is.

DSC05444.JPG

On 2/26/2018 at 8:46 AM, AjarnNorth said:

Oriental Magpie-robin. One of the most common garden birds in Thailand so you should get another chance at better pics.

Yes...Oriental Magpie-robin. Similar in appearance to Oz's Willy Waggy, but 2 distinct and separate species. The scientific name of the Willy is Rhipidura leucophrys, while the Magpie-robin is Copsychus saularis. Despite the similar appearance, they are not closely related, if at all. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/24/2017 at 1:45 PM, Ron19 said:

Could someone please tell me the correct name of this bird.

My wife tells me it is Nok Khun Thong and can be taught to speak.

DSC09476.JPG

Hill Myna. Yes she is correct...this species is adept at mimicking human speech.

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2017 at 4:00 PM, kgpr said:

I think this is a Flycatcher but I'm not sure which one. I could be wrong about that,the position of the wing carriage lead's me to think of flycatchers

1483520403516.jpg.2aa57486ea2663d44ca0ee1483520418352.jpg.e42bd1dd816a559d7817ee

Tough one! Thrush methinks. By no means definitive, but my best is possible juvenile female Siberian Blue Robin. Noteworthy...plump build, long straight, sharp bill and obvious light colored legs. Sometimes using the process of elimination by field marks can narrow down the possibilities.

Anyone else agree or have differing thoughts? 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, jack2964 said:

Looks to me like some kind of starling. Was this physically sized like a mynah? My guess is chestnut-tailed starling. 

Someone more knowledgeable would come along soon.

Oh btw., where's samuijimmy haven't seen him around for a while.

Reckon you are right Chestnut-tailed Starling

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jack2964 said:

Looks to me like some kind of starling. Was this physically sized like a mynah? My guess is chestnut-tailed starling. 

Someone more knowledgeable would come along soon.

Oh btw., where's samuijimmy haven't seen him around for a while.

Nice call Jack. Do believe it is spot on! On further inspection, the bill of this bird is yellow with a dark base. The bird does appear to have a wavy "hooded" appearance noticeable on the nape. And another thing that was really bothering me was the tiny "beady-eyed" look of the bird in question. Simply explained now that I know that that the iris of the Chestnut-tailed Starling is white! Thus it blends with the light head feathers and the tiny pupil stands out giving the beady-eyed look. 

Nicely done Jack! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the id. Difficult to know how big it was because I saw a movement in a tree about 500 metres away and snapped it with a long lens.Thanks again I know I never would have been able to even make a stab at it.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kgpr said:

Thanks for the id. Difficult to know how big it was because I saw a movement in a tree about 500 metres away and snapped it with a long lens.Thanks again I know I never would have been able to even make a stab at it.

Never say never and don't sell yourself short. You seem to be out in the field more than almost anyone and have made lots of fine contributions both here and the "Birds In Your Garden" thread. Hell, I've been birding more than 3 decades and still (obviously:vampire:) make mistakes. Always new info to be gleaned and experience to be gained.

Bird hard and keep the pix coming! :thumbsup:

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kgpr said:

Nice bird . never see them around Chiang Mai. Maybe too far north.

Yes...CM out of their range. Lovely bird and never lights on a building! Strictly arboreal. 

• Like 1