Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgbcnx

U.s. Federal Income Tax Preparer

28 posts in this topic

Does anybody know of an American living in Chiang Mai who has had long experience preparing Federal income tax returns--and, for a "consideration," accepts new clients? My return for 2012 is fairly straightforward, but I hesitate to do it myself.

Any recommendations?

If you haven't tried any of the online software (TurboTax, etc.), you might find this is all you need if your situation is indeed 'straight forward'. Millions of satisfied users every tax filing season, and if they weren't accurate and reliable, they wouldn't be in business. Plus they are cheap inexpensive.

If you are named Mitt Romney, then you best find a tax pro.

I agree with the TurboTax suggestion. I have been using it for years with no problems.

If you are named Mitt Romney, then you best find a tax pro.

Same if your name is Timothy Geithner

I've been using Taxact since 2007. It is easy, reliable and the federal version is free.

If none of the above suit you Lanny Williams in Bangkok may be able to work something out with you via e-mail etc.

Contact info on Bangkok Embassy web site

Unless you have a complex tax situation, TurboTax is as easy as it gets. For the vast majority of Americans, the IRS simply compares what you send with what they already know, which is just about everything, and send you a corrective notice if your calculations don't match up to theirs. For most Americans there is no justification for spending the time and money to fill out the 1040, but certain people, from the accounting industry to H&R. Block to Intuit, do profit from the pointlessness of filling out the 1040 and lobby strongly against the idea of the government sending out a tax bill without need to fill out the forms.

1 person likes this

I agree with the TurboTax suggestion. It was able to handle my taxes even during years where I had rental property, was self-employed, and had investment accounts to deal with and did it with no sweat. Never got audited or had the IRS complain so I think it must do ok.

David

Unless you have some additional income other than social security or pension income, the tax form is very simple. This year it is slightly complicated in that the standard deduction calculation is different and the formula so far for the amount of tax you have to pay is different if they don't come out with regular tax tables.

I am only waiting for my 1099 on my social security but I know what it will say so I have my return done and just waiting on the SSA-1099 for confirmation. I have also finished my best friend's return and waiting for the same info as I am looking for myself.

I can't see paying out money for something so simple and I used TurboTax before. It is good but for such simple math, not worth it.

Unless you have some additional income other than social security or pension income, the tax form is very simple. This year it is slightly complicated in that the standard deduction calculation is different and the formula so far for the amount of tax you have to pay is different if they don't come out with regular tax tables.

I am only waiting for my 1099 on my social security but I know what it will say so I have my return done and just waiting on the SSA-1099 for confirmation. I have also finished my best friend's return and waiting for the same info as I am looking for myself.

I can't see paying out money for something so simple and I used TurboTax before. It is good but for such simple math, not worth it.

Anyone in Chiang Mai tried to create a My Social Security Account online? It's a new feature which gives you online access to your personal SSA account, 1099 form, etc. Problem for American expats is that you cannot do it from an IPA address outside the USA!!! Bummer. We'll just have to wait for the Thai mailman to deliver the 1099.

Dr. Joe Krebs

http://www.us-taxpayers.com/

I'm afraid he recently retired. Last I heard he was in the US for medical treatment and I don't know if his partner will continue the practice

Looks like you're right. I received no response to my e-mail...

Dr. Joe Krebs

http://www.us-taxpayers.com/

I'm afraid he recently retired. Last I heard he was in the US for medical treatment and I don't know if his partner will continue the practice

Looks like you're right. I received no response to my e-mail...

Are there other licensed American tax preparers in Chiang Mai? How about Bangkok?