Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Ikea Ad Upsets Thai Transgender Group: Bangkok

150 posts in this topic

Ikea ad upsets Thai Trans group

ScandAsia news Newsdesk

i.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai Transgender Alliance is protesting against IKEA Global for its 'negative and stereotypical' advert.

Thai Transgender Alliance have sent an open letter to IKEA to complain about a 'negative and stereotypical' advert, Gaystarnews reported.

The offending advert, called Luem Aeb (meaning 'forget to deceive'), was broadcast on Bangkok's sky train system from 28 December 2012 to 13 January 2013 and on YouTube.

'The MTF transgender/transwomen character is openly mocked as being "deceitful",' read the open letter to IKEA from Thai Transgender Alliance.

'The transgender content of the advertisement is negative and stereotypical in nature, perpetuating misunderstanding transgenderism as human sexuality for "deceitful and deviant lifestyle".'

The advert shows a woman who is so surprised by a sale item that she speaks with a male voice. The man she is with looks shocked and horrified. The last scene of the advert shows the man running away as the woman carries a box of flat-packed furniture by herself.

The letter from Thai Transgender Alliance demands that IKEA Global issue an official public statement about the advert.

You can watch the video here:

Source: http://www.scandasia...42&coun_code=se

-- ScandAsia 2013-01-24

footer_n.gif

1 person likes this

I've heard that they can be very deceitful...especially at around 2am after a heavy night out.....

1 person likes this

Sort of frightening to see how well he switches from a male voice to a female voice..........

Jesus. Someone needs to tell them about Thai culture and Thai humor. And lighten the #$( up. She's a pretty chick in a funny ad. Get over it.

2 people like this

I am all for equal rights and respectful of all humans but I dont think this is really that deceitful.

The most deceitful thing about the ad is that those boxes usually weigh around 50 kgs!

You gotta be Arnold Schwartzenegar to throw them over your shoulder like that

1 person likes this

Why dont they pick on the ladyboy in the advert for selling them out? Oh yes he/she is Thai therefore CANNOT be wrong!

That's a bit of an assumption, isn't it? Forgive me, but you seem in need of a rest home cure.