Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Sign in to follow this  
japatee

English Language Test In Thailand For Uk Visa

japatee    4

Hi

My wife is going to apply for 'family of settled persons' visa for the UK

Does anyone know where my wife would need to go to take the English language test? Also, if anyone has actually done the test, to tell me what it entails. Do they give out examples of the test or anything?

Thanks

George

7by7    6,398

Details of where to take the test plus the other requirements, including the all important financial ones, can be found at UK Settlement Visa Basics.

I do not know anyone personally who has taken the test, but the level required is very basic conversation. If she can talk to you in simple English, and understand your replies, she should be able to pass it.

japatee    4

Details of where to take the test plus the other requirements, including the all important financial ones, can be found at UK Settlement Visa Basics.

I do not know anyone personally who has taken the test, but the level required is very basic conversation. If she can talk to you in simple English, and understand your replies, she should be able to pass it.

Thanks, I couldn't find it anywhere on the UK boarder site either.

Not sure my wife will ever understand my replies (in English or Thai)

• Like 1

japatee    4

also, was wondering how long the test is valid for. does it say this information anywhere?

thanks again for your help

gleeglee    19

also, was wondering how long the test is valid for. does it say this information anywhere?

The A1 English test for residence will be replaced in the summer with the B1 test which will have to include a new part called UK CULTURE, which will be 1000% more difficult to pass at the moment the A1 is listening and speaking only this will change in the summer to reading and writing as well

durhamboy    143

The test is valid for 2 years. Whilst she only needs to pass speaking and listening she wouls also have to take reading and writing as there is NO Tailor Made test for the UK Settelement Visa. I would recommend the BULATS test run by a company called Vantage in Bangkok - MD is an American Kevin Cullen (?) who is very hands on. There are 3 test centres in Bangkok (CPA and Pearsons being the other two) and only one other outside Bangkok (in Chiang Mai)

I started a thread on this topic about 6 months ago and there is a lot of info there about the tests if you can find it. Actually passing it is not quite as easy as people say - for example whilst you dont need to pass reading you have to read some of the questions to pass speaking and listening!!!!!

I'm not sure if the UK Settlement visa test is changing in Summer to include reading and writing. I thought that might be for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) but I may be wrong.

7by7    6,398

The A1 English test for residence will be replaced in the summer with the B1 test which will have to include a new part called UK CULTURE, which will be 1000% more difficult to pass at the moment the A1 is listening and speaking only this will change in the summer to reading and writing as well

I'm not sure if the UK Settlement visa test is changing in Summer to include reading and writing. I thought that might be for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) but I may be wrong.

As far as I am aware, there is no change scheduled to the A1 speaking and listening requirement for the initial spouse, partner or fiance visa.

There are two changes scheduled for the knowledge of life and language requirement (KOL) for ILR.

The first is a change to the questions in the LitUK test. The new test comes into effect on 25th March 2013. See here.

As far as I am aware, if you passed the test prior to this change then that pass will still be valid.

Secondly, if applying for ILR from October 2013 then an ESOL with citizenship course will no longer satisfy KOL.

From then applicants will need to have passed the LitUK test and achieved level B1, or better, of the CEFR in English speaking and listening.

Although B1 is two levels higher than A1, to say that it is 1000% more difficult is somewhat of an exaggeration!

Edited by 7by7

durhamboy    143

Yes its certainly true that B1 is not 1000 times more difficult than A1. However the basic point made by gleeglee is that it is much more difficult to pass. A lot of people that attain A1 standard (which as I have pointed out is not that easy to pass in itself) will find it very hard to achieve B1. There may be lots of problems in the future when people go for ILR.

japatee    4

Do you know exact dates for the change to B1 test/?

I assume that if my wife did the A1 test, and applied before this date, then she would avoid having to take the B1 test?

thanks

phomthai    2

The test is valid for 2 years. Whilst she only needs to pass speaking and listening she wouls also have to take reading and writing as there is NO Tailor Made test for the UK Settelement Visa. I would recommend the BULATS test run by a company called Vantage in Bangkok - MD is an American Kevin Cullen (?) who is very hands on. There are 3 test centres in Bangkok (CPA and Pearsons being the other two) and only one other outside Bangkok (in Chiang Mai)

I started a thread on this topic about 6 months ago and there is a lot of info there about the tests if you can find it. Actually passing it is not quite as easy as people say - for example whilst you dont need to pass reading you have to read some of the questions to pass speaking and listening!!!!!

I would also recommend BULATS, Kevin's a really nice guy and put Mrs P at ease when we went for a chat, definitely the best of the ones we saw in Bangkok.

japatee    4

Do you know exact dates for the change to B1 test/?

I assume that if my wife did the A1 test, and applied before this date, then she would avoid having to take the B1 test?

thanks

Also, I have been searching for examples of the A1 level test but not so easy to find. Has anyone (or their partner) had experience with the test, or is there good examples anywhere? I just meed to understand how much teaching my wife needs..

thanks in advance

durhamboy    143

I found sample tests difficult to find. I think you can download them online but I found it difficult to know exactly what test they were talking about. It's really shambolic how this whole system has been operated. The one good thing about CPA was that they do quite a good leaflet containing a sample test and if you go to their offices in Soi Asok off Sukhumvit in BKK you can pick one up for free. However I would not recommend using them because of so many other bad points about their service. The BULATS test is not the same as CPA so the leaflet only gives you an idea.

Kevin at BULATS will run your wife through their test if she would like. Also they do 4 days intensive training before the test which really helps. If you do the test and training with BULATS it costs B14,950 in total.

phomthai    2

I found sample tests difficult to find. I think you can download them online but I found it difficult to know exactly what test they were talking about. It's really shambolic how this whole system has been operated. The one good thing about CPA was that they do quite a good leaflet containing a sample test and if you go to their offices in Soi Asok off Sukhumvit in BKK you can pick one up for free. However I would not recommend using them because of so many other bad points about their service. The BULATS test is not the same as CPA so the leaflet only gives you an idea.

Kevin at BULATS will run your wife through their test if she would like. Also they do 4 days intensive training before the test which really helps. If you do the test and training with BULATS it costs B14,950 in total.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, Vantage Siam (BULATS) have some demo tests...here goes...

http://vantage-siam....id=19&PageShow=

Mrs P sat their demo ones, boosted her confidence a bit so she had an idea of what to expect and she sat the test & passed 1st time without the need to do the training course. Cost was around 7,000 baht I think and results were back in about a week; they can be posted to your wife if you want to save a trip back to BKK.

I remember speaking with Kevin back in October 2011 and he was frustrated that they're not given the A1 test that can be sat in UK, that one apparently is just listening & speaking. Thai ones at the time involved all elements...frustrating & I suspect things haven't improved much. But remember your wife only needs to pass the listening & speaking elements, which is pretty straightforward, and just encourage her to practice at every opportunity..she'll need to anyway for when she's in the UK.

We went to the Asok lot, soi 21 I think....Mrs P was not impressed, they didn't do much to ease her concerns. Kevin @ BULATS was so much better!

I agree with durhamboy it really is shambolic how the system is operated, UKBA don't help the situation and as has been asked elsewhere why doesn't the British Embassy in Bangkok have the list of approved Thai A1 test providers on their website? They list the only place to get the TB test (didn't used to) but not the A1 test....maybe in time but at the moment those are the rules and we have to follow them....memo to self get off the soapbox...555!

Good luck to your wife, she'll be fine

BOBBYTIN    63

hi,my wife took the test,in the uk. a lot of the questions are nonsense,how many irish left ireland for uk during potato famine,when you do the test,it is multi choice,you are given earphones to listen to the question,the problem we found was,the questions were long and drawn out,as if to confuse. you can buy a book with all the questions,from the govnt and a book with all the answers.it seems it is just a money thing. a bit of patience and it will get through to her.at that time,i think you only had to get 18 from 25 questions. but there was a possible 500+ questions.good luck,you can take the test online, a practice test,english people i know who took the online test,failed. try this http://lifeintheuk.net/index.php/after_the_test/applying_for_your_passport/ Edited by BOBBYTIN

oldsailor35    3,793

So am i to understand that any Thai applicant for an English visa has to do an English language test ?

If this is so, what would happen if the Thai's decide to ask all English applicants for a Thai visa to do a Thai language test ?