Thailand Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lite Beer

18 Korean Tourists Injured In Speed Boat Accident In Pattaya

wotaplonker    104

am I being optimistic in thinking whomever owned the boats and were presumably hiring staff for the boats (unless the 'pilots'!! were the owners) would

know who they were and would supply names addresses etc to the authorities??

tropo    4,446

And the ferry only costs 30 baht. I never trusted those speedboat guys. Quick money grab

And you would trust those ferries... which resemble floating driftwood?

TommyDee    145

this is how it is coming in to us at the moment.. which doesnt mean it wont change as more details emerge..

Pattaya city Officials have demanded an enquiry into a tourist speedboat accident which left many injured and could have led to fatalities had the tourist boats not been well equipped with lifejackets.

Sunday morning, at a distance of nearly 1 Km from the shoreline of Pattaya’s Koh Larn island, a collision between tourist boats saw one sink and numerous injuries. The boats were travelling between islands as the visitors enjoyed snorkeling around the inlets and all were already wearing lifejackets.

More.. http://www.pattaya103.com/speedboat-disaster-in-pattaya-bay/

HarryMilton    200

It is also amazing to have a collision with an anchored boat in what was most likely clear skies and relatively calm seas.

Or what was possibly an overcast day and a relatively rough sea just to add to your guess work.

HarryMilton    200

The Koreans should have know better. What kind of a boat driver can crash into a parked boat. Drunk on Lao Khao. My symapthies to the injured, I just came from Korea. Typical Thailand.

How do you know he was drunk? And specifically on lao khao? Where was this reported, or are you just another speculator who actually knows nothing of the incident?

HarryMilton    200

Why do Thai drivers usually flee the scene when they are at fault driving boats, airplanes, buses, autos, tuk tuks, trains, scooters, bicycles, elephants, etc.? Amazing Thailand.

Yes, plane pilots are well known to flee the scene after accidents.

lemoncake    2,777

Why do Thai drivers usually flee the scene when they are at fault driving boats, airplanes, buses, autos, tuk tuks, trains, scooters, bicycles, elephants, etc.? Amazing Thailand.

Yes, plane pilots are well known to flee the scene after accidents.

It's not like they can or need to wait for police to arrive :)

Payboy    7,106

Flee-for-all, absolutely.

canuckamuck    17,408

It is also amazing to have a collision with an anchored boat in what was most likely clear skies and relatively calm seas.

Or what was possibly an overcast day and a relatively rough sea just to add to your guess work.

No mention of weather in the reporting, but based on having lived near that stretch of coast for 6 years, I would say odds are very high there were no visibility issues. Someone who was in the region that day could let us know, but it hardly matters.

Briggsy    10,809

I wonder if this was the same captain who managed to decapitate one of Poland's leading medical researchers a couple of months ago. I doubt it as all these clueless captains come from the same mould with the same lack of training, certification, common sense, spatial awareness, cognitive development or regard for human life other than their own but they do seem to have impunity from prosecution in spades.

hmj    53

rbrooks #63

"Why do Thai drivers usually flee the scene when they are at fault driving boats,
airplanes, buses, autos, tuk tuks, trains, scooters, bicycles, elephants, etc.?"

The answer is: for insurance purposes, the drivers are responsible for the accident
and not the owners. In western countries the owners are responsible as far as
insurance is concerned.

gaucho    118

the fleeing from accidents is endemic here ...saw a pedestrian killed in bangkok years back ...the driver just bolted ...in western countries u get an added charge for this ...not surprised about the speed boats ...they have conversations to people whilst speeding ....had to scream out to one once ...he almost ran over a swimmer ...he just laughed ...nothing phases a lot of people ...

DRONGOH    18

Not necessarily clear vision. This is Pattaya!

Now the Korean who lost his leg will be charged by the "operators" for a damage to the propeller.