Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sriracha john

Samui Loses One Of Its Prestigious Residents

52 posts in this topic

Bank of England robber had bought house on Koh Samui

The alleged mastermind of the biggest robbery in British criminal history bought a house in Thailand before the gang stole 53 million pounds (3.6 billion baht) belonging to the Bank of England.

John Fowler, 57, who is now being held on charges of kidnap and robbery, invested in an exclusive housing development for Britons on Koh Samui, and planned to settle down among the palm trees and frangipani.

The hideaway estate of 27 designer homes with swimming pools and a private gym was ideal, Fowler told the developer.

"The security is good and it seems safe from villains and thieves with just the right sort of people."

Fowler from Staplehurst, Kent, was charged on March 1 with conspiracy to rob and three charges of kidnapping after the heist at Securitas, which even taking into account inflation easily tops the Britain's "Great Train Robbery" in 1963. Securitas is responsible for destroying used notes for the Bank of England.

Since the robbery on February 22 in Tonbridge, Kent, during which the depot's manager Colin Dixon, his wife Lynn and nine-year-old son Craig were kidnapped, some 19 million pounds has been recovered and a number of other arrests have been made in a massive manhunt by Scotland Yard and Kent Police.

Fowler, more than 18 months ago, had been making plans to move abroad to the beaches of Thailand which long ago replaced the Spanish coast as Britain's new "Costa del Crime".

Stuart Evans, a former estate agent, is the developer of Samran Gardens, Maenam, Koh Samui, with his Thai wife. Prices for homes at the estate started at Bt15 million.

He said: "I'm shocked and more than a little angry. This is a very small estate with an elite clientele. I vet all the applicants to see if they are suitable as I live on the estate myself.

"We have oil and car production executives, and the like, all Britons who have made their living honestly and are getting ready to retire in the sun.

"I interviewed John and his wife Linda. Okay, they were not particularly up market but at the same time they were not champagne people with a beer attitude. I liked them both, especially Linda.

"Also I did not want to fill the place with gin and tonic Hong Kong Brits, the sort of people I could really do with out.

"John and Linda bought in to the property over 18 months ago. Since then prices have trebled. They were originally looking for a place on the beach. But he said he like the placed because of its solitude and security and the fact that I also live on the estate and am available 24 hours.

"This is most upsetting. My wife is from a well-respected family on the island. They will feel like they were tricked.

"I knew there were problems because the property has been lying empty and I urged them to complete their landscaping plans.

"But I got a message from Linda four days ago saying they had been away on a skiing holiday but there was a family crisis.

"They have bought the house outright on a lease and were in the process of forming a Thai company to buy the freehold.

"They can forget about buying the freehold, and take their money back."

In the last few years, foreign police have extradited American, French, German, Italian, Scandinavian and Greek nationals from Thailand on murder and robbery charges.

These extraditions have now become almost a monthly routine.

Among the British nationals strongly connected with homes in Thailand have been John Palmer, the Time-Share king, who is suspected of smelting the bullion from the Brinks Matt robbery; and Michael Mescal, a former East London market trader, accused of being a leading drug trafficker, who is facing narcotics charges in Italy.

Pattaya has a notorious criminal reputation and was where Robert Henry, 48, a Coventry boxing promoter, was gunned down three years ago.

While no foreigner can own land in Thailand, British criminals and foreigners in the sex trade take the usual course in circumventing the law by establishing Thai companies to buy property.

Technically they own no more than 49 per cent but the companies do not trade and the Thai shareholders are usually appointed by their lawyers and have no real control.

They stand to lose everything, however, if their cover is blown by criminal associates back home.

- TN

With apologies... but I'm afraid that I'm not able to find any other photo of one of Samui's elite residents. He seems a bit camera shy at the moment or maybe he's just playing a game of Hide and Go Seek with some of his policemen friends.... :

160_british_heist1_060302.jpg

Peek A Boo!!

Oh God , that interview with Mr Evans, should have been posted in JOKES OF THE DAY.Prices have trebled but HE CAN HAVE his money BACK. :D:D:D:D:o

I vet all the applicants to see if they are suitable as I live on the estate myself.

"We have oil and car production executives, and the like, all Britons who have made their living honestly and are getting ready to retire in the sun.

"I interviewed John and his wife Linda. Okay, they were not particularly up market but at the same time they were not champagne people with a beer attitude. I liked them both, especially Linda.

"Also I did not want to fill the place with gin and tonic Hong Kong Brits, the sort of people I could really do with out.

"John and Linda bought in to the property over 18 months ago. Since then prices have trebled. They were originally looking for a place on the beach. But he said he like the placed because of its solitude and security and the fact that I also live on the estate and am available 24 hours.

"This is most upsetting. My wife is from a well-respected family on the island. They will feel like they were tricked.

sounds like this estate agent is trying to play god , using social engineering and "advanced " interviewing techniques to fill his little kingdom with his sort of people.

prick.

would he let david beckham in ?

any jews in there , any lottery winning salt of the earth bus conductors , any pakistanis , any blacks ? how about yorkshire accents.

prick.

"They can forget about buying the freehold, and take their money back."

read that as "fukc that contract that you signed with me , its not worth the paper its written on you bank robbing little toerag "

a well-respected family on the island

well respected by who ? other well respected families on the island no doubt !! :o

champage people with a beer attitude , you couldnt make this stuff up !!

more like koh samui people with a monte carlo attitude.

samran gardens.............. i'd rather take my chances on a dagenham council estate than live among his kind of people. :D

falangs land on that island and immediately form themselves into some kind of social pecking order , obscure cliques supposedly depending on their status in their former lives off the island , only the whole thing is one huge illusion as no one knows anything about where all these people have come from , talk is cheap ( about the only thing that is cheap on that island) hence bank robbers and bank managers living next door to one another.

there is a wonderful novel in there somewhere.

there are more insecure personalities per square metre on that island than in all of california.

Sir Alan Ayckbourn built his career upon writing about the neuroses of the British suburban middle classes populated by bumptious little prigs such as this twerp, Evans. Definitely a case of life imitating art.

An excellent article which should be pinned immediately for all to gain a valuable insight into the pretentions of the Samui expat.

I particularly liked his reference to the gin 'n tonic Hong Kong Brits, a proscribed group which evidently has offended him in some way. I wonder how? I suspect they have more money and quite rightly look down upon estate agents who as a breed should be culled regularly, preferably along the lines of decimation. You can always have too many of the buggers.

Sir Alan Ayckbourn built his career upon writing about the neuroses of the British suburban middle classes populated by bumptious little prigs such as this twerp, Evans. Definitely a case of life imitating art.

An excellent article which should be pinned immediately for all to gain a valuable insight into the pretentions of the Samui expat.

I particularly liked his reference to the gin 'n tonic Hong Kong Brits, a proscribed group which evidently has offended him in some way. I wonder how? I suspect they have more money and quite rightly look down upon estate agents who as a breed should be culled regularly, preferably along the lines of decimation. You can always have too many of the buggers.

Not all Samui EXPATS are of the same mould ,nor are all EXPATS all over Thailand.But guess what?The bad ones will always outshine the good ones.

Where are the Moderators when you need them.

Where are the Moderators when you need them.

Why would you need a moderator? Are you an estate agent ?

I wasn't refering to you ( the gent ) lmao.

bumptious little prigs such as this twerp, Evans

nicely put .

i met him once when i was looking for land to buy down there , he seemed ok and he has a reputation for professionalism down there , but after reading his admission requirements to enter his little kingdom , "samran gardens" , i now think he has been out in the sun too long.

i am still of the opinion that anybody with the kind of money to blow on a thai built gaff on a samui housing estate run by a tyrranical snob such as this guy (available 24 hours a day ...... "you cant park there" , "would you not put your garbage bin out where everybody can see it please" ," can you hang your washing out at the back please" , " would you mind turning robbie williams down for a while , i cant hear myself counting my profit margins and the in laws are coming over for sunday lunch and they are respectable people you know") would not even consider a place like samui.

"samran" , in thai , means cheerful and happy i believe , the sort of net curtain twitchers that he is hoping to attract are usually less than cheerful people , and will be downright angry people when they experience the flooded roads , the less than helpful public officials , the greedy shopkeepers and the dangerous traffic.

samui attracts new money , dodgy money , wide boy money , bank heist money , pocketfuls of readies type money and money that needs a good wash and the tabloid folk that come with it.

real money , old money , the sort of people that evans wet dreams about , would go to florida , france or spain , real real money would go to the bahamas.

they wouldnt be seen dead on samui.

Take a deep breath tax,take 2 tablets & talk to me in the morning.We don't want to use the straight jacket again do WE ? :o

nicely put .

i met him once when i was looking for land to buy down there , he seemed ok and he has a reputation for professionalism down there , but after reading his admission requirements to enter his little kingdom , "samran gardens" , i now think he has been out in the sun too long.

i am still of the opinion that anybody with the kind of money to blow on a thai built gaff on a samui housing estate run by a tyrranical snob such as this guy (available 24 hours a day ...... "you cant park there" , "would you not put your garbage bin out where everybody can see it please" ," can you hang your washing out at the back please" , " would you mind turning robbie williams down for a while , i cant hear myself counting my profit margins and the in laws are coming over for sunday lunch and they are respectable people you know") would not even consider a place like samui.

"samran" , in thai , means cheerful and happy i believe , the sort of net curtain twitchers that he is hoping to attract are usually less than cheerful people , and will be downright angry people when they experience the flooded roads , the less than helpful public officials , the greedy shopkeepers and the dangerous traffic.

samui attracts new money , dodgy money , wide boy money , bank heist money , pocketfuls of readies type money and money that needs a good wash and the tabloid folk that come with it.

real money , old money , the sort of people that evans wet dreams about , would go to florida , france or spain , real real money would go to the bahamas.

Excellent, excellent writing...

:o

it is yet another prime example of why taxexile is one of the absolute best posters on this forum

:D

Brilliant - made me chuckle.

I do wonder what the Hong Kong G&T have done to this bumptious idiot ;-)

Nice 10 million he will make there giving the 5 million back and now the prices have trebled he could sell it on.

Of course the guy in jail will of course be well connected and the estate agent might not get to enjoy the fruits of his labour very long as the robber may just take out another contract to make up for the one cancelled :o

Then again he probably has more on his mind right now

Sriracha, Tax's posts can be witty, but then it all goes back to rubbishing Samui when he doesn't even live here.Same as you Sriracha.We can all comment & have fun at certain things,sure there is ground for dissatisfaction wherever you go, but this is a fixation with some of you guys.As I said before, people can make their own minds up,they can do searches through the forum & I'm sure various opinions will manifest themselves.

I really don't see you going to any trouble searching for good pieces of news & posting them either,you seem to revel in posting doom & gloom in general .What stories have you posted in the positive to balance them out? None.So I let the others figure out your agenda.

Have a good life after you get one.

Sure this guy evans comes accross as a complete tosser,

I think the bahamas, france, spain and florida has attracted more dodgy money than Samui ever has or ever will, Try visiting Marbella, Cannes, or Miami, these places are full of people flaunting there ill gotten gains,

Old money real money in my view is ill gotten at one time or another, but these people with time have learnt not to be so crass about how they flaunt it, and is probably why you have not noticed them on Koh Samui.