Thailand Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antomine

Possibly Moving To Thailand

arthurwait    2,445

It's barely enough for a single person to live on here. If you have kids no chance of a decent education for them. Medical insurance is a must for you.

Find yourself a rich Thai wife. thumbsup.gif

Antomine    2

Hmm... You guys have given me some food for thought for sure. And yes the $40k is all the savings I have and the $1500 would be my only monthly income. Thanks for letting me know about the baht situation. Maybe chaing mai just won't fit financially.

arthurwait    2,445

Hmm... You guys have given me some food for thought for sure. And yes the $40k is all the savings I have and the $1500 would be my only monthly income. Thanks for letting me know about the baht situation. Maybe chaing mai just won't fit financially.

You can do it but it will be far from luxury. Try it for 6 months or a year.

Soutpeel    17,184

You should be planning your next career move at 33....you have many many years to go and you will need a decent chunk of change in your piggy bank to live here long term.

If you have just finished the miltary then by all means come to Thailand for a period of time, say 6 months and have a holiday and reasses where you are after 6 months, but at this point in time you can't just say that it...I am retired at 33 with THB1500/m coming going to spend the rest of my life longing around Thailand...you will go off your head or worse...

jarhead50200    42

As former marine and a member of our local Chiang Mai VFW I am inclined to be of support to a former member of the military establishment, in fact I have a few friends who are using their military educational benefits to work on their degrees at Payap University which in return will entitle you to more income per month to help support you. If you are a former combat veteran with a rated disability our VFW service officer will assist you in setting up your medical care through a local hospital where the hospital will bill the VA through the FOREIGN MEDICAL PROGRAM. There is a lot of ways to stay here so don't believe everything you read on here. Oooooo did I mention there is a lot of good universities here in Chaing Mai and Thailand. Feel free to ask away, and if necessary I will try and give you my email for personal questions.

Antomine    2

I do have a service connected disability I am rated at 70%. I served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have been doing a bit of research on my own and I do believe I will be heading to Thailand within the year. If I don't like it, or its a tad bit too expensive I can always leave, so why not try it out for a few years? It would be an amazing experience.

Soutpeel    17,184

As former marine and a member of our local Chiang Mai VFW I am inclined to be of support to a former member of the military establishment, in fact I have a few friends who are using their military educational benefits to work on their degrees at Payap University which in return will entitle you to more income per month to help support you. If you are a former combat veteran with a rated disability our VFW service officer will assist you in setting up your medical care through a local hospital where the hospital will bill the VA through the FOREIGN MEDICAL PROGRAM. There is a lot of ways to stay here so don't believe everything you read on here. Oooooo did I mention there is a lot of good universities here in Chaing Mai and Thailand. Feel free to ask away, and if necessary I will try and give you my email for personal questions.

Ok this is all well and good and lets suppose he studies at a CM/Thai university for a few years....then what ? and what shouldnt he be believing on what has been written to date...as far as i can see its all been very sensible advice

Antomine    2

As for my next career move, my job within the military doesn't exactly translate to the civilian world so I would definitely need education.

jarhead50200    42

if you were a former military person you would know the educational benefits available to him would pay for a lot of education, nothing personal, but are you former USA military?

Soutpeel    17,184

As for my next career move, my job within the military doesn't exactly translate to the civilian world so I would definitely need education.

Well could I suggest you do your education in the US, one assumes the US miltary would pay for it or at least get some grants towards paying for it for the most part what you would get in Thailand education wise wouldnt be worth much in the outside world

lopburi3    4,704

Believe the issue was poster had indicated no intent to pursue further study or work so your comment that education "will entitle you to more income per month" I believe to be false. A fixed pension is a fixed pension. Only if he finds employment would the education be useful and as stated getting that education in the USA would likely be much more cost effective - especially if employed there.

Soutpeel    17,184

if you were a former military person you would know the educational benefits available to him would pay for a lot of education, nothing personal, but are you former USA military?

I am former miltary, BTW the US is not the only miltary in the world, the subject under debate has very little to do with the military anyway US or otherwise...the OP has finished one part of his life and now is starting a new phase in his life....he has 40 years + ahead of him and needs to figure out what to do and Thailand may or may not figure in these plans

yannic    74

have a look at the Philippines definitely cheaper to live in and easier and cheaper Visa options

Soutpeel    17,184

have a look at the Philippines definitely cheaper to live in and easier and cheaper Visa options

one could suggest Cambodia as well

jarhead50200    42

soothsayers of gloom and doom only show where there mindset is, Thailand is anything you want to make of it. Everyday people ask me how you doing? I reply another day in paradise!!! I have a friend here special forces ranger or something like that about your age with 2 tours in Iraq he has been here 3 years writing a book. When you get here contact the VFW or contact us through the Chiang Mai VFW website and we will help you get situated. No problemooooooo............