Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Thai business woman jailed in UK for running Ponzi Scheme

54 posts in this topic

Thai business woman jailed in UK for running Ponzi Scheme

IPSWICH: -- THAI BUSINESS WOMAN JAILED IN UK FOR RUNNING PONZI SCHEME – For the hundreds of thousands, estimated 300,000 to 400,000, foreign expatriates living in Thailand the news of a Thai running an illegal business in order to fleece honest people will not come as much of a surprise.

Kankomol Albon - Thai Ponzi ScamKankomol Albon has been jailed for just six years after being convicted of a massive multi-million pound ‘Ponzi’ fraud scheme.

During her years running the Ponzi scheme she managed to defraud hundreds of innocent victims out of over £7.5 million.

The scheme allowed Albon to live in the complete lap of luxury; far from what she was used to living in her home country of Thailand were a decent wage would be any over £200 a month and most live on considerably less.

During the investigation police seized a sleuth of prestige cars including a Maserati, Bentley and a Ferrari. She also lived in a stunning Grade II Listed Mansion, in Suffolk, complete with a moat, worth over £4 million.

At her trial in Ipswich Crown Court, the judge granted an order under the Proceeds of Crime Act that will now allow authorities to sell off her assets, including her home, cars and her entire wardrobe in order to claw back funds from her ponzi scheme.

Full story: http://meebal.com/thai-business-woman-jailed-uk-running-ponzi-scheme/

-- Meebal 2013-08-29

1 person likes this

And to think I felt bad about a sick buffalo scam fifteen years ago.

1 person likes this

"including her home, cars and her entire wardrobe in order to claw back funds from her ponzi scheme"

So if the home alone, is worth 4M and they're selling that plus everything else - let's say they raise 5M - presumably the people she defrauded out of 7.5M will be getting around 66.6% of their money back?

PFFFBWAHAHAHA... Sorry, couldn't hold it in...

"the judge granted an order under the Proceeds of Crime Act that will now allow authorities to sell off her assets"

I hope to see this in every case in future. Stop the crocks from benefiting from their crime.

Also charge them for board and lodgings while they are in prison.

​And deportation after she has served her sentence. If a foreigner can't behave in the country they chose to live in send them home.

1 person likes this

"For the hundreds of thousands, estimated 300,000 to 400,000, foreign expatriates living in Thailand the news of a Thai running an illegal business in order to fleece honest people will not come as much of a surprise."

Doesn't sound as though the writer of that article has an agenda does it? He then goes on to complain about the poor old British taxpayer, cable TV in UK prisons, corrupt Thai officials and blah blah blah. He must be a Daily Mail reporter looking to earn a few extra quid by getting exposure for his blog.

It's meebal - nuff said.

1 person likes this

She has been in the UK for 28 years, is now 41, has 5 children, no mention of a husband in any report so far.
Fiddled the Tax Man as well and is unlikely to be deported.

What a clever lady?

It just shows what a push over the UK is, unless you try to enter with a Thai wife nowadays!!!!! (even for a couple of weeks tourism).

1 person likes this

Really? Article seems to imply that every Thai person is dishonest. That's pretty unfair.

You are 100% correct, i know alot of Thais that are very honest

"For the hundreds of thousands, estimated 300,000 to 400,000, foreign expatriates living in Thailand the news of a Thai running an illegal business in order to fleece honest people will not come as much of a surprise."

True or not, that line is inappropriate and unfair to the general Thai population.

Just my 2 cents.

I disagree, and I have lived here for 34 years. I think it is the tip of the iceberg.

She has been in the UK for 28 years, is now 41, has 5 children, no mention of a husband in any report so far.

Fiddled the Tax Man as well and is unlikely to be deported.

What a clever lady?

It just shows what a push over the UK is, unless you try to enter with a Thai wife nowadays!!!!! (even for a couple of weeks tourism).

If she's lived in the UK for 28 years what does 'nowadays' have to do with it? The UK in 1985 was a completely difference place to what it is now...

1 person likes this