Thailand Forum
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Bangkok's "Starbung" coffee vendor defies multinational

webfact    24,352

COURT
Bangkok's "Starbung" coffee vendor defies multinational

BANGKOK: -- A Thai coffee vendor refused Wednesday to drop his "Starbung Coffee" logo, defying legal threats by US multinational Starbucks.

Last week, a Thai law firm filed a complaint on behalf of Starbucks Coffee Company against Damrong Maslae, 44, for not complying with an injunction issued in 2012 to remove the "Starbung Coffee" logo from his sidewalk stall in the Thai capital.

The international coffee giant has demanded compensation of300,000 baht (9,700 dollars), plus 30,000 baht (970 dollars) a monthin legal fees. An initial hearing has been set for November 4.

"I will fight the case," Damrong told dpa. "I may lose, becauseStarbucks is a big company with a lot of money, but I have alreadywon my case in the eyes of society," he said.

"My customers, both Thais and foreigners, have given me a lot ofmoral support," he said. "One client gave me 1,000 baht (33 dollars)to help fight my case and yesterday another paid 500 baht for a cupof coffee and told me to keep the change."

Damrong, a Muslim from Krabi province in southern Thailand,insisted that his green-and-white logo, which depicts a Muslim man atits centre with crescent moons on the side, was inspired by Islam, not Starbucks.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-23

• Like 1

coma    2,436

It may seem that way but pray tell, do you know of any multinational company that will allow someone to use a counterfeit copy of their corporate logo like that if they could help it? And it's not as if they didn't give the fella a chance to remove the logo with no penalties. This guy is just stubborn and now is going to get sued for it. I have no pity for this person. He had a chance to get out of this situation without any problem but decided to fight a battle he just can't win.

Starbucks needs to take a look at themselves. This guy is hardly stealing their market at the moment. They [ starbucks ] are actling like the playground bully.

I agree with what you're saying but it is just one store isn't it ? Why would starbucks bother with it ? If he opened up a chain then sure but this just seems like overkill to me.

• Like 1

tominbkk    3,221

Starbucks is making a PR mistake here.

I think they are within their rights. Try opening a S&B next to an S&P. The lawyers and full brunt of the Thai law would be on you in hours. They would probably burn your restaurant down.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

kartman    681

I hate Starbucks and this kind of corporate bullying but I must admit, right is right here. The Starbung logo is so similar to the Starbucks one. And it's not as if they just sued him. They gave him a chance to remove the logo first but some people are just too stubborn. I guess this fella is going to go bankrupt.

He's probably one days takings away from bankrupt anyway so nothing to lose .

• Like 2

Thai at Heart    17,298

He knows he copied Starbucks. We know he copied Starbucks. Everyone knows he copies Starbucks.

Telling fibs about his inspiration for the logo evaporated any sympathy I felt for him..... and I really loathe Starbucks.

He should have played the sympathy card himself. Saying how the big nasty coffee corporation (which Starbucks is) has stolen his business and so he was just trying to get a little back to feed his family.

Indeed. Who uses muslim inspired ideas to sell coffee? Isn't that blasphemous?