Thailand Forum
scubascuba3

How much do you tip a caddy?

scubascuba3    732

If I had a choice I wouldn't have a caddy, I don't have one in the UK and don't need one here. So not only do I resent having a caddy which I've paid for 300 baht but then its compulsory to tip another 300ish baht.

I realise it keeps them in a job I guess and yes some are better than others etc etc.Yes I realise they need it to live on.

Does anyone not tip or pay less tip?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Khonper    48

I use to tip 250-350 bht depending how she works. I think that is enough. I would prefer a round without caddies but no choice here.

• Like 1

Qman    40

Always tip 300 unless very good then maybe more and book them in the future. Having caddies is just part of the cost of playing here. I also would prefer to not have one on courses I have played a number of times but this is not an option. Since you must pay it is best to at least get a good one. If a visitor playing through bar societies or tour groups, you can always ask someone for a caddy recommendation if you don't have any previous experience at that course.

• Like 1

ezzra    18,993

To avoid dirty looks and being called nasty names, go with b. 300

having a decent round of golf in Thailand now days is an expensive

form of exercise..

kingstonkid    866

Hey try pakistan. Not only do you have a caddy but you also have a ball boy. Depending on how much you pay the toe wedge the ball boy carries is quite handy lol

SPIKECM    91

It is incredible what Farangs find to moan about in Thailand... big deal! Ask the tip, but don't moan how tough life is.... In the Philippines you must have a caddy and they steal your clubs.... I have golfed in Chiang Mai for 14 years and I have never had one problem.

I tip 300 and that seems to be the standard tip in Chiang Mai, but in Phuket and the likes they look for more as they are spoiled.

The wage of a semi skilled Burmese worker in Chiang Mai is now 700 baht a day and since the caddies are not out every day on average..on some courses only 2 times a week.. if you don't tip them..well you basically deserve something very bad to happen to you. It hardly ever happens, so please just realise.

I normally pay 300 B to my regular caddy, who is a very good caddy, but if I end up with a 'Bag Puller' that is totally disinterested I will sometimes only give 200 B as a tip and make damn sure that I take there caddy number so I don't end up using them again. The converse can apply where you get a very good caddy, who does show interest and knowledge and you try and book them when you next visit this course.

Unfortunately, as a previous poster has said, it is mandatory to use a caddy here in Thailand; but that is just the way it is - like it or lump it!

Sirbergan    235

Though it's the best thing to do, you're not really obligated to tip them or to tip any specific amount. They already get paid from the caddy fee you pay. Also, the minimum salary these days is 9000 baht a month. I like to give plenty of tip, I always have, but it's not like you're insulting anyone by tipping them 100-150 either. Thai people often don't tip at all or limit it to very small tip amounts.

Gsxrnz    6,958

I tip 300 in Pattaya and play 3 times a week. . Have a regular caddy that I sms in the morning and she organises the caddies for the group that are playing. She knows all our regulars and keeps them in line for us. I might tip an extra 100 if she is able to use her Julius Marlow wedge without being seen whistling.gif .

She always buys me a Birthday present. This year it was a polo shirt and a cap. She also gets me brand new Srixon balls for 150B a dozen, still in the box. Not sure which truck they fell off, don't really care.

I reckon caddies make the day more fun, even if you're playing serious golf. They're always up for a laugh.

We occasionally get a "trolley dragger" if one of our regulars is away or sick. After two holes, if it's evident they're lazy or not willing to participate, we just tell my caddy (she's sort of the camp leader) that this particular caddy is no good so please send her back and get a replacement. This has happened twice with no problems and no hard feelings.

• Like 2

billrose    43

It depends where you play golf!

Here in Korat 200 baht is the norm, or 250 if you get a particularly good one, but I gladly pay 300-350 when I play in Pattaya depending on how much assistance and pleasure I get!

Gsxrnz    6,958

Yes, I also consider them as useless.

Can you please elaborate on your opinion?