Thailand Forum
scubascuba3

How much do you tip a caddy?

GBHK    55

It really depends how one defines what a bad caddie is... In my opinion, if she carries the clubs, repairs the green and rakes the sand, that warrants a standard tip. Anything else is gravy for me. Nickel and diming people that work for a pittance is not cool to say the least.

larsjohnsson    618

But another caddie also do those things. And then read the greens for me. Pick the right club and tell me where to aim because of the slopes before and on the green. Tell me where the bunkers and water hazards are, that I can't see from the tee. Bring me water and a towel when needing it. And clean my golf clubs and shoes when finished the round.

I know which one that I give at least twice as much.

Nickel and diming the good hard working caddies is not cool.

Edited by larsjohnsson

GBHK    55

But another caddie also do those things. And then read the greens for me. Pick the right club and tell me where to aim because of the slopes before and on the green. Tell me where the the bunkers and water hazards are that I can't see from the tee. Bring me water and a towel when needing it. And clean my golf clubs and shoes when finished the round.

I know which one that I give at least twice as much.

Nickel and diming the good hard working caddies is not cool.

Nothing prevents you from giving those caddies as much as you want. I just think taking away a little amount that means little to most foreigner and a lot more to caddies is very petty. Many golfers pay more for a cart than they do for caddies. That's pretty screwed up in my opinion and the cheapskates that are opposed to high tipper can go on living their selfish lifestyle hoping that all developing countries keep the poor down so that they can benefit from it.

Edited by GBHK

larsjohnsson    618

The difference between us is that you give all 300. I prefer to give 150, 300 or 450. The same amount together. But I like to show the good caddies that they get extra for good work. And the bad caddies that they will get less if working less

Edited by larsjohnsson

GBHK    55

First, you have no idea what I give caddies... I don't believe in that sort of "education" where the great father tells the poor native how to behave by punishing and depriving them of their livelihood. If I'm really not satisfied, I give them the money, tell them I haven't enjoyed their service and will not require their services anymore. If I see there's potential then I tell them what I would like them to do and see what happens.

Everyone is certainly free to do what they want but I will never respect or agree with the kind of behaviour you propose. It works for me in a country where the service industry employee make a decent living but that is certainly not the case in Thailand and I think it's massively cheap to behave that way. I guess we are different people living in different worlds.

larsjohnsson    618

We are all different. And I will never respect the behaviour you have either. I think you are cheap against the good ones

Subpar    31

My range is 200 for any caddy who can barely be bothered to go through the motions and actually detracts from the enjoyment of playing a round, 300 for any caddy that would rate a 5 to 8 out of 10, 400 for a very good caddy, and 500 for the rare one who's so good a note of her/his number is made for future games at that course.

• Like 1

bangkoklasse    260

A have a similar scale as you.

a bad caddy 150

a rather good caddie 300

a excellent caddie 400-450

Subpar    31

Sounds about right Bangkoklasse, you and I and pretty much every golfer I know in Pattaya (which is a lot of people) are all on the same page. The important part of this is we all believe a bigger tip for an above average caddy is well deserved, as is giving a minimum tip to the slackers. When the caddys sit around comparing tips, as they do every day, hopefully the message gets through that they're either not doing a good job, are middle of the road, or that their extra efforts to do their job well are being rewarded. What should not happen though is everyone just paying 300 Baht or whatever for a caddy no matter what sort of a job they did, this will make the useless ones stay that way and the good ones think "why should I bother"?. And this happens!.

Edited by Subpar

larsjohnsson    618
Sounds about right Bangkoklasse, you and I and pretty much every golfer I know in Pattaya (which is a lot of people) are all on the same page. The important part of this is we all believe a bigger tip for an above average caddy is well deserved, as is giving a minimum tip to the slackers. When the caddys sit around comparing tips, as they do every day, hopefully the message gets through that they're either not doing a good job, are middle of the road, or that their extra efforts to do their job well are being rewarded. What should not happen though is everyone just paying 300 Baht or whatever for a caddy no matter what sort of a job they did, this will make the useless ones stay that way and the good ones think "why should I bother"?. And this happens!.[/quote

Exactly, agree 100%

Bassosa    152

Caddies are the reason why I've almost stopped playing golf in Thailand.

Totally useless and annoying. They dictate pace of play (ie. slow it down), constantly position you and the cart in the wrong spot (sometimes dangerously so),  hand you the wrong club and generally have nothing to add other than: "LEPT O.B."

This is my opinion on many rounds of golf in the Kingdom, at great courses and not-so-great courses.

Then there's the lame attempts at 'sanuk'.

What I'd give to play a round without them...

By the way, when I do play I tip them standard rate, irrespective of service levels.