Thailand Forum
Sign in to follow this  
robitusson

Thai Buddhist Chanting

hookedondhamma    195

Yep, I meant Dhammayut. I notice the the older monks try to keep it going, but it doesn't seem to be catching on with the younger generation, the exception being those studying for the pali exams.

• Like 1

fabianfred    2,482

The yellow book i finished transcribing into correctly romanized pali last year. But there were complications in my getting it available to a wider audience. Caution tells me not to even think about releasing it via email due to the problems that can spring from it.

As for chanting differences, Mahan. uses Thai sounds for their chanting,; ex Put-tho, twee (for the sound of the t or th with the dot under it) while there. uses Indian pronunciation, Bud-dho, along with labial and dental, nasal sounds etc. Of course many monks here in both sects use Thai sounds, but there are a few around who still follow the original pronunciation before the before Thai language pronunciation shift came into occurrence.

A monk who ordained new in the there. Sect told me he prefers the Maha. pronunciation, as the there. makes him feel uneasy.

Some case endings are also switched when chanting between the two sects, and i noticed that when visiting maha. Temples, they chant in stopped form, while there. Chant without pauses - but this varies as well. While in Chiang Mai last year I had the opportunity to go and hear a very respectes monk chant the abhidhamma matrix, and I was lucky to have a recorder there as it was completely uknown to my ears. I believe it was a maha. Temple, though he was trained in Lanna culture so the difference was astounding.

The temple I am staying at now, they chant without pauses.. My temple in Lopburi, pause between chants, which gives me a chance to find where their at in my chanting book.. I like pauses better. biggrin.png It's amazing to me, how many monks, even if they have only been monks for a couple of years, memorize all these chants... I probably only have memorized 12 chants or so and I've been a monk going on 5 years. Maybe I'm lazy.. yes, I am lazy. laugh.png

Not lazy... It is just that the Thai monks often learn as novices so it is much easier because of their youth.... Plus it is their language after all...

I would also be interested in a transcript of the yellow book too...

Edited by fabianfred

connda    4,428

I have two books. My favorite is the Buddhist Pali Chanting with Thai and English Translations.

Maliwan McIvor

Copyrighted 2003

Library of Congress number: Txul-091-098

The book is layed out page by page with Thai on one page and English on the opposing page. Great for people like me who read Thai (slowly) but I find it invaluable because I used the Thai to understand the correct pronunciation of the passages and where the tones rise and fall, but I use the English Pali transliteration because I can not yet read Thai fast enough to keep up.

The other book is A Bhikkhu manual that was generously given to me when I ordained.
Sanghaloka Forest Hermitage
PO Box 152, Kallista

Vic. 3791, Australia

I've attached pictures. Hope this helps.
post-87058-0-39433500-1432723208_thumb.j

Pages from Buddhist Pali Chanting with Thai and English Translations

post-87058-0-82535700-1432723263_thumb.j

Best of luck -- metta.

Edited by connda

connda    4,428

Does anyone know where online I could find what I need to say for the ordination ceremony?

attachicon.gifordination-procedure.pdf

That's a good book, but it's very hard for a novice to understand and pronounce. If you can get to Bangkok, go to Wat Saket or Wat Mahathat and ask for their book.. Like I said before, there are two ordination ceremonies.. you have to know which one the temple you are ordaining at uses.

If your in Isaan, go to Wat Pah Nanachat and ask them for a book. If your in Chiang Mai.. try to get in touch with FabiaFred.. He will help you.. good luck.

That's a good book, imho. I used it when I ordained. Memorized the passages prior to ordination.

What I did was to ask the wat's office assistance, who was also in charge of preparing those of us who were ordaining, to read the passages for me and my wife recorded them on her smartphone. It took maybe 15 minutes. Not too long. He only recited the passages I needed to learn, not the entire ceremony. I used the book and the recording, and practiced every day for a couple of months. I came back a few days before ordaining and recited passages for a couple of minutes and got a thumbs up. Thai monastery. I was the only farang ordaining as the wat did not normally ordain farang. We talked a little about the upcoming ceremony, and I was good to go. It was a fulfilling experience.

Not a bad reference for chanting either, but you need to hang out, read, follow along (or bumble along Lol), say what your can, and don't be too serious about it all. In time, and with repetition, you'll 'get it'. I like chanting. It's just another form of meditation.