Thailand Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2014 Chiang Mai

WinnieTheKhwai    6,807

Got a few then was directed to this technical thread.

Winnie I thought you went south for the smog season?

That was the plan yes, though it's still pretty okay up until now.

Main reason though is that I'm stuck for a medical procedure which kind of messed up the holiday plans.

I could have delayed the medical thing but then it would cut into my Songkran time, I need to be firing on all cylinders by then. ;)

maderaroja    292

Have received in the past week or so the first satellite reports for our area. Very little is shown. if you are out and around, you will probably have seen much more burning/burnt straw than the satellites have seen. They are not stationery over this area. The coordinates reported tend to be off a bit, but not far, just fairly consistently a couple of hundred meters east of likely locations. So far, just a couple of blazes south of Rte1095 in a farming area west of Mae Taeng and one in the Samoeng area. The satellites simply don't pick up everything, especially small fires and fires of short duration.

If you read the Chiang Mai Mail you can read the press release about some of the forest fire management efforts the government has been planning.

The Chiang Mai Mail, by their own admission, is not meant to be read for accuracy or news. I'm not sure why they have the site at all. But, they, themselves declare it a non-site; or, not worth reading. So, I don't waste my time on it.

• Like 1

northernjohn    3,332

Got a few then was directed to this technical thread.

Winnie I thought you went south for the smog season?

That was the plan yes, though it's still pretty okay up until now.

Main reason though is that I'm stuck for a medical procedure which kind of messed up the holiday plans.

I could have delayed the medical thing but then it would cut into my Songkran time, I need to be firing on all cylinders by then. wink.png

Regardless it is a smart move to get it done ASAP.

• Like 1

Mapguy    804

If you look at Tywais' map, it seems we are all still doomed. Never mind burning in Hades! But, indeed, without looking at all the statistics, perhaps this year it is so far not so terrible, comparatively, a problem "locally." I have no solid driving reason to suggest for this.

If weather is the reason, we need a climatologist. It does seem that the cool weather lasted a little longer this year in Northern Thailand, reflecting somewhat later monsoon changes, perhaps, but more than likely, we are still within a general pattern.

Improvement due to Thai governmental educational and publicity campaigns by conclaves of officials meeting over coffee and press releases? I don't think so!

Economic education and incentives to help farmers preparing their crops? I don't think so. What sorts of incentives to rice farmers have we seen ?! (That's a joke of those of you not familiar with crop subsidies in Thailand!)

In coming years, for those who are greatly concerned with how far pollution travels, be prepared for the much accelerated Myanmar governmental program to increase rice production to regain its previous status as a rice exporter. Generally, of course, the international market is a wreck and seems to remain so for a long time, never mind the appalling Thai government policy now in place.

In the meantime, consider that most pollution is local. Do your bit to cut the s@it! (Oh dear! I'm beginning to sound like MacWalen with his marketing slogans!! biggrin.png

Edited by Mapguy

caramba77    4

If you read some of the old threads, you will see that there are people who are completely oblivious to this unfortunate phenomena. This includes me, who in earnest would probably have never known, even today,. That even though I used to exercise quite hard outdoors during the worst of it. Unfortunately, there appears to be no doubt that the health consequences of this pollution is very bad in the long term, though I personally probably wouldn't worry if just visiting, unless I had previous health/lung problems.

Currently I am experimenting with 3M's filtrate material, regular air conditioner filtering, and one of the supposedly best personal use air purifiers (from the Blueair company), measuring the effect with a particulate counter from Dylos Corp. Hopefully it will let me make some educated guesses as to what is needed to hopefully reduce the problem in my family's home at least.

Post your results. Thanks!

Hi, I have now finished testing most of what I wanted to test. I will

do some more testing, but this will mostly be related to how much time

my air purifier needs to make the room clean, and what speed setting is

necessary when the pollution is extra heavy, so is probably of little general

interest.

There was quite a bit of data gathered, and so I found it easiest to use

my regular document processing system for my own thinking and analyising.

While I admittedly did not pay much attention to others possibly reading

this document when I started on it, I have tried to attach my document as a

PDF-file with this message and have tried to make it more readable for others,

in case anyone else should be interested in reading it.

My short conclusion is that the 3M Filtrete material works, and does

improve things somewhat, but much less than I expected. 3M Filtrete

simply wrapped around a fan also improves things considerably. But only the

air purifier brings the particle count down to fair level, at least without too

much noise.

This is an absolutely incredible useful work, Awk!! Really amazing and well done. I was pondering about the effects of AC and air-purifier for a while.

This report needs to be made a sticky at the top of the Chiang Mai Forum or at least this post.

Thank you so much!

khwaibah    5,074

Bangkok Post front page has an interesting poll on the burning effects and living hear.

jonwilly    414

I agree that the "Smog" is not as bad as in the past also that last two years were 'Relatively' mild.

I suffer, really suffer when it's bad and memory says the year the Flower Park opened was the worst. All those Mega tourist Busses did not help.

As a true coward i did a runner on Sunday and now know what quality Air is down in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

john

It's luvvly.

skills32    111

I agree that the "Smog" is not as bad as in the past also that last two years were 'Relatively' mild.

I suffer, really suffer when it's bad and memory says the year the Flower Park opened was the worst. All those Mega tourist Busses did not help.

As a true coward i did a runner on Sunday and now know what quality Air is down in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

john

It's luvvly.

Plan to head down there shortly. What is the accommodation situation like?

I heard some where that the burning has been delayed until April this year.

jonwilly    414

PKK is very quite, but from what i gather that's normal.

Breeze blowing onshore is magic.

For me, long journey but worth it.

john

northernjohn    3,332

asia.jpg

It would be nice for those of us who are not familiar with the geography of Thailand to point out where Thailand is located on the map

Tywais    12,087

It would be nice for those of us who are not familiar with the geography of Thailand to point out where Thailand is located on the map

That is why I have been saving crops of the firemap to remove the unnecessary elements. Here is todays updated snapshot and I have added a transparent overlay on it to distinguish Thailand.

post-566-0-66035600-1393912630_thumb.jpg

naboo    1,881

asia.jpg

Are you Thai?

• Like 2

northernjohn    3,332

That is why I have been saving crops of the firemap to remove the unnecessary elements. Here is todays updated snapshot and I have added a transparent overlay on it to distinguish Thailand.

attachicon.gifFIREMAP OVERLAY.jpg

Sorry about that having trouble posting today. I meant mark where Chiang Mai is not Thailand. Been a hit or miss situation on posting for two days now. Good for a while then nothing. Tried to edit it and couldn't.

Tywais    12,087

attachicon.gifFIREMAP OVERLAY.jpg

Sorry about that having trouble posting today. I meant mark where Chiang Mai is not Thailand. Been a hit or miss situation on posting for two days now. Good for a while then nothing. Tried to edit it and couldn't.

Ah, got it. I had just downloaded another overlay map with the cities identified and will try to put that on top of the cropped fire map in the future.

post-566-0-60527200-1393926989_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tywais
Updated image with overlay and labels