Thailand Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i claudius

Why can you not use a debit card online in Thailand?

i claudius    7,905

Every time i want to pay online ,they will only take a credit card ,and my bank will only give me one if i have 1 million baht in the bank for 6 months ,i dipped under for a month and they told me i must start again ,yet my wife who has had about 25000 baht going in for ages and usually has about 15000 baht in her account ,no bloomin problem. when i ask why cant i use my debit card no one seems to know ,help.sad.png

Upnotover    1,646

I use my Kasikorn Visa debit card to book tickets with Thai airways no problem at all. Haven't tried it for anything else mind you.

i claudius    7,905

I use my Kasikorn Visa debit card to book tickets with Thai airways no problem at all. Haven't tried it for anything else mind you.

Just tried to book with Emirates ,no go ,also eva would not last year or Egypt air.Not to keen on Thai dont you think they have gone downhill such a lot in the past few years?

uptheos    11,109

I've bought stuff from USA and elsewhere online, with a Bangkok Bank Be1st DC (I have 3 and they all work),

I also have a Platinum Visa CC from them.

A million baht in the bank for 6 monthsfacepalm.gif ..........time to go bank shopping my friend!

lmfao    103

I've bought stuff from USA and elsewhere online, with a Bangkok Bank Be1st DC (I have 3 and they all work),

I also have a Platinum Visa CC from them.

A million baht in the bank for 6 monthsfacepalm.gif ..........time to go bank shopping my friend!

this guy is correct, after a lot of hassle, Bangkok bank new Bes1st DC card is the only one I could find that I can use for online transactions, also you can use the new card to pay for the BTS if your in Bangkok..

Ratakhun    4

I use Kasikorn as well. I opened up an account with them and had to sign up for what they called k-web shopping card (you can sign up via ATM machines for free). They create for you this "virtual card" information that's doesn't have the same number as your actual debit card. When you want to buy things online, you just type in the virtual card information and go through the confirmation process and you are ready to go.

It's also worth mentioning that the virtual card does tie to your bank account. Though, when you receive a refund for something, it may take awhile before the money shows up in the account. I ran into this problem when I received a refund from PayPal, but the money didn't show up in my account. So, I had to go to one of the branches to make a claim (which required proofs such as receipts, etc) and they reimburse you in about a week. Sent from my SM-N9005

Upnotover    1,646

Just tried to book with Emirates ,no go ,also eva would not last year or Egypt air.Not to keen on Thai dont you think they have gone downhill such a lot in the past few years?

Absolutely, TG are my least favourite airline choice (having said that I would mention I never fly on any US airline). My debit card has my name on it, rather than just "privileged member" (555) so that might be why it works.

cooked    4,175

hmm. I have 'best valued member' on mine, Invadeit won't accept it, but when I am in Europe I can use it for everything as far as I know,

ukrules    7,030

I use a Kasikorn ATM card for my online purchases, it works no problem. It's on a savings account where I keep some small amount of money. I only opened the account in the first place so I could wire the money in to Thailand to buy a car.

It had to be enabled for 'internet' purchases. I've never tried to book a flight with it - I use my real bank overseas for that kind of stuff.

I've used it to buy things from lazada.co.th in the past and it works as you would expect. I also used the same card to mail order some goods from a company in the US so from their point of view in the US it was the same as any other VISA card and the transaction processed normally.

As for a minimum balance, there is no requirement on this account to use the card online. I opened the account with something small like 10-20k baht and they turned the internet transaction service on straight away. I've never had more than about 600k Baht in my Thai account as I just don't trust the banks and that was only for about a week.

orchidlady    257

I can use my BKK bank debit card with all airlines(domestic and int'l) and the on-line shopping I do. The one problem i have hasd is with booking.com when the hotels want to take a deposit the day of booking(not pre-pay).They can't or won't accept a debit card. I have had to cancel and book on another website.

seajae    10,756

I use my debit card all the time, there is no way in hell I would use a credit card online. Bangkok Bank debit card works fine with everyone, plane tickets, bill payments, goods payments, if yours doesnt work then your need another bank......

schondie    613

Maybe it's a stupid question but have you activated your debit card for internet use?

I had to do the same with my card. I assumed it was automatic but it wasn't.

i claudius    7,905

Maybe it's a stupid question but have you activated your debit card for internet use?

I did not know this ,i have Ayudda and Thanachart cards ,i was with the Bangkok bank ,but they were so crap i closed the account.

uptheos    11,109

I did not know this ,i have Ayudda and Thanachart cards ,i was with the Bangkok bank ,but they were so crap i closed the account.

Well, the Bangkok Bank seems to be coming up trumps in the debit card division.wink.png

sniffdog    211

I beat all of you with your Platinum CCs .... tongue.png

I am a Kasikorn 'Privileged Member' and will only be addressed by the ATM as 'Mr. Privileged Member'. Yet my card doesn't work on the Internet.