Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Durianwriter

Understanding Thai Addresses

I'm doing a bit of a mapping project and I'm trying to place a few different addresses using a combination of google maps and bing.

I'm having trouble whenever an address is a "moo" something. For example, I can't find "Moo 15, Tambon Krachaeng, Kanthalarak, Si Sa Ket."

What does Moo really mean? Do villages go by another name than just their number, and is there a way to figure out which number corresponds with which village?

Thanks for your help!

In my village, the plot number is number in which the resident was built. When my place was built I was the 127th. There is no order on the road.

Moo is a smaller side street off of a soi that comes of a thanon (main road) I think and a yak is an even smaller one?

So what is a Thambon? I live on soi 7, but my address is 18/67 M.8 soi 7. Care to define that all for me? I am in same state of confusion over all this as the gentleman that started this thread.

I thought that "moo" meant village.

Where I stay we are surrounded by physically separate villages

each with a number, eg Moo 12, Moor 13, Moo 14, etc

Edit: Yes, the post above is correct, Moo is short for Mubahn (sp?)

Edited by jackflash

Moo is a smaller side street off of a soi that comes of a thanon (main road) I think and a yak is an even smaller one?

Totally wrong....

Moo is short for Mooban (moo meaning "group" bahn meaning "house" so mooban = village.

Soi is an alley, yaek is a junction (sam yaek = T intersection, si yaek = X intersection)

From top to bottom you have:

Jangwat = province

Ampoe = District

Tambon = sub district

Mooban = village

all villages have names as well as numbers, but for sending a letter you use the number of the village rather than the name.

The address in a small village will be something like:

house number, village number, tambon, ampoe, jangwat.

in larger villages you'd also have a soi number but usually no such things as road names

• Like 2

In my village, the plot number is number in which the resident was built. When my place was built I was the 127th. There is no order on the road.

Actually it's numbered after the order the plot got the chanote land title.

I wonder when they will also demand Latitude and Longitude details on all addresses.

Good luck with that endeavor mate!

Don't take it for granted that when looking for a certain place or plotting the location of such on a map that it is the actual location that you want. I would suggest going into "street view" to see if in fact it is what you expect it to be!

For example: If you take the address for the new temporary Immigration Dept. in Bangkok, taken from the Immigration website and stick into Google maps (Major Hollywood Suksawat, Suksawat Road, Ratburana) it actually gives you the wrong location. It is a Major Hollywood Suksawat, but not the right one! But if you put in Major Hollywood Ratburana it should give you the proper one on Soi Suksawat 60

Among other things Google maps actually has the Soi that my condo is on named incorrectly!

Thailand has:

Provinces or Changwat (76) - like Bangkok for example

The capital city of the province shares the same name as the province - i.e. Bangkok is the capital city of Bangkok Province

The city has districts (Khet) or Amphur/Amphoe - mine in Bangkok is Khet Bang Rak

The Amphur is divided further into sub-districts called Tambons/Tambol - like mine, Bang Rak

Moo (Moo Ban) - this would be a village outside of Bangkok, if in the city of Bangkok it will be the sub-division of an area

Thanon - this would be a main road/lane like Sukhumvit Road

Soi - this is a side street branching off from a main street, the Soi will be a number of that main road such as Sukhumvit Soi 11

I think that's about it...any other TV posters please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

good luck!