Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Durianwriter

Understanding Thai Addresses

What about UK where some houses have names, not numbers. It is not just Thailand!

I sold a house in UK ( 80's ) where the address was Name of house

Name of Village

Scotland.

Since the introduction of post codes the house ,still there, now has a number.

If you google UK post codes it explains it. eg AB3 Aberdeenshire post district 3

XX Post district area and street/road

X House number.

or something on those lines.

Believe now that if you post a letter in UK and don't add a post code it won't be delivered, the letter will have to be collected and extra money paid.

Here my our house No is 45 and next door is 32. Numbers issued as plots were sold I believe.

Our house is 219 next door is 165 (left) next door(right) is 113.

How the postman figures that out im at a loss.

All the village is moo 2, except 1 soi is moo 3?

All the village is moo 2, except 1 soi is moo 3?

It is difficult to answer your question on the basis of the limited information you have provided. I suggest you inquire at the Tambon or District office.

I'm having a big problem with USA companies that can't accommodate my Thailand address.

First problem is they can't choose a country...It's not an option.

Second is the state is a drop down box....So they can't substitute a province.

Then the long names...Ubon Ratchathani doesn't really fit if you live in Mueang Ubon Ratchathani, Ubon Ratchathani.

Both my former company and United Health Care insurance company can't mail things to me. 

Any solutions?

4 hours ago, Mike45 said:

Both my former company and United Health Care insurance company can't mail things to me. 

Any solutions?

My first advice would be to stop dealing with companies that are not overseas friendly, but since you are sort of stuck with these two companies.   The only solution I could come up with would be to obtain a mail forwarder in the US to receive mail for you at a US address, scan the outside of the envelope and then allow you the option to either print the contents or have the letter forwarded to Thailand 

Here is the one I use:

https://www.postscanmail.com/

All of this is assuming that you don't have anyone in the US that could receive and then forward mail to you internationally 

The question of house number has been answered a few times, but unfortunately, the answers are incorrect. The number is not when the chanote was issued and is not when the house is built. This answer is sort of correct, but not exactly.

For instance...a guy starts building a house down the road from your plot. A month later, you begin to build. He runs into delays for some reason, or your builder is faster. The house number is assigned when the "HOUSE BOOK" is issued.  For that to happen, the house has to be almost complete to complete & inspected by the pu yai ban or some other official. Or not, depending on how lazy they are & if you are paying money for expedited service, shall we say.

For instance, we have 2 houses on on piece of land (1 Chanote) The back, bigger house was started first, by about 1 month. The front, smaller house was rushed to completion because of the custom of moving in before Kow Pen Sa (or however you spell it). The tradition is, if you don't live there before it starts you have to wait 90 days until the Kow Pen Sa is over. So it was completed, house book issued  & occupied first. The bigger house was finished and occupied (by me) about a month after the holiday started. not being Thai, I cared not about this tradition.

Theoretically, only one house book was necessary, however, I wanted the houses on separate electric meters, so to get separate service on 2 meters, we had to get another book. The small house, started second, but completed & occupied first is the lower number & the second house, started first but completed & occupied last is the higher number.

The house number is assigned as the house books are issued. Simple....but totally useless. I feel sorry for a new mailman. he just has to hunt everybody down & hope he can remember which Somchai lives where.

Sorry to be pedantic, but that is how it works.

Condos and developed moo bans will be different, of course, and numbered sequentially based on the original developers plan.

Edited by Tagaa

1 hour ago, Tagaa said:

and developed moo bans will be different, of course, and numbered sequentially based on the original developers plan.

Well not in the moo baan I am in. The numbers are all over the place and I think dependent as you say when they were sold to individuals. The developers plan has a different set of classifications alltogether.

18 hours ago, Tagaa said:

Condos and developed moo bans will be different, of course, and numbered sequentially based on the original developers plan.

Individual condo units are numbered sequentially according to the layout of the building, regardless of when they were sold, but the actual building number is applied in the same chronological way as it is for houses. So two condo buildings next door to each other but built a couple of years apart will have very different building numbers.

22 hours ago, topt said:

Well not in the moo baan I am in. The numbers are all over the place and I think dependent as you say when they were sold to individuals. The developers plan has a different set of classifications alltogether.

Two old sayings come to mind:

1) There's an exception for every rule.

2) Rules are made to be broken.