Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Deaths of Quebec women in Thailand may have been caused by pesticide

Could the use of pesticides explain why apples never seem to deteriorate here? Even with the heat over apples last weeks.

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

• Like 2

Bare with me, this is a translation from French and I am not a professional translator.

From Radio-Canada

A pesticide may have killed Noémi and Audrey Bélanger

Thailand recognizes that it is probably a pesticide which killed Noémi and Audrey Bélanger, found without life in a hotel room in June 2012.

The two sisters originating from Pohénégamook died two days after their arrival on the island of Phi Phi in Thailand.

Their father, Carl Bélanger always suspected the pesticides: " I will not change my idea, they are the pesticides ". The Thai government recognizes now that a pesticide used illegally to kill the bed bugs in the hotel rooms would be in question. All the other tracks were isolated: food poisoning, intoxication with the DEET, an insecticide mixed in a cocktail.

The most plausible explanation is a severe intoxication with a chemical which belongs to the family of the pesticides, affirms Pasakorn Akarasewi of the ministry for the Health of Thailand.

According to the investigation of Radio-Canada, the two young people were probably poisoned by aluminium phosphide. In contact with the air or moisture, this product emits a mortal gas, phosphine.

" If this product is use in hotels, the use of that product will result in death. A human person will die in two hours; the insects of 24 hours ", supports Denis Bureau, of the Group Adalia Fumigation."

The Thai government, offered Carl and Linda Bélanger 20 000 $ for the loss of their two daughters, an offer which they refused: they want that justice is returned " they will go further? Will they sanction the hotel? ", Carl Bélanger hammers.

Other victims

In Phuket, an island very close to Phi Phi ISland, one finds several extermination companies. Out of hidden camera, Radio-Canada visited an exterminator which uses illegally aluminium phosphide in the hotels.

The aluminium phosphide may have made other victims. Since 2009, 13 tourists died in a mysterious way in hotel rooms in Thailand, in Vietnam and in Indonesia. For the FBI, these cases could all be related to the aluminium phosphide.

Edited by NamKAheng

There was a BBC report of aluminium phosphide pesticide fumes killing some Danish children back in 2009:
"...Two young Danish children have died in the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah after inhaling poisonous pesticide fumes while they slept, local media say...
Investigators say the fumes came from a house that had been sprayed with a pesticide meant for agricultural use.
Traces of the pesticide, aluminium phosphide, were found on dishes in the next door house in the al-Masarrah district, whose occupants had gone on holiday after having their house sprayed, reports said.
The family inhaled an extremely dangerous insecticide for several hours during sleep...
The head of forensics in Jeddah, Col Saleh Zowayd, said there had been six similar deaths this month and that the pesticide was banned from use in homes
Ctd here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7908102.stm

• Like 1

This is the Thai cocktail laced with DEET, the pesticide used in Thai cocktails in Phuket. The Thai DEET killings as reported in the Thai press.

Traces of the pesticide, aluminium phosphide, were found on dishes in the next door house in the al-Masarrah district, whose occupants had gone on holiday after having their house sprayed, reports said.

Excellent info. Does anyone know of a source of home or travel test kits to swab test for poisons like this?

Something simple that turns color if it detects a range of specific toxins, like pesticides or cleaning products?

I get messages from my apartment management that they'll be in spraying a few times a year, and I'd really like to be safe. Not to mention staying in hotels...a quick swab to sleep better (and wake up the next day).

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I distictly remember the Thai autopsy as saying the deaths were likely caused by pesticides although they speculated the source might have been alcohol. Does anyone else remember seeing this on tv? Anyway Thai forensics need a little more respect methinks.

The Thai tourism industry don't give a damn about safety, they don't care about their own people, so why even care about tourists. They claim to be "caring" about it all but they really don't. Ignorant people do ignorant things, sadly enough the majority of the locals are ignorant and just don't give a flying <deleted>, it's all about the $$$, nothing else. A few tourists die, they really don't care, they'll act as they care but it is obvious that the real "caring" factor is not to let the news get out, or minimize the facts !

So to sum things up, if vegetables in the market don't have insect attacks visible on them, you shouldn't eat them, and if your hotel room doesn't at least have a few friendly ants in the bathroom, you shouldn't stay there. There is a well placed hotel in Chiang Mai that we quite liked but we realised we always got headaches when we went there. My wife thought that she was going to die. New Mitrapap Hotel.

Judging by my experiences in horticulture and agriculture here, there is no way of measuring doses correctly. It took me a month or two to get a small measuring cylinder, I was told that I was being 'Farang fussy'.

You just get stuff like 'little, little' or Farang too skinny, why you use so little'.

Edited by cooked
  • Like 2

It may have been pesticides but I highly doubt it was from the room being sprayed. If I recall it seemed like the deaths were sudden and near simultaneous and they didn't try to call or alert anyone. Doesn't seem logical it would kill them that fast and they would not have smelled something off in the room. I think they were poisoned and possibly accidental but there are just too many reasons to not believe the poison was from the room being sprayed. Even if it was sprayed in and got into drinking glasses doesn't seem all that plausible unless the glasses had so much pesticide in that it was visible in liquid form. These were not too 70 year old women with health conditions.

It is quite toxic and has caused deaths elsewhere.

Multiple cases in Saudi Arabia

Edited by jacko45k

One of the main reasons many reports take so long is because all the causes reported are the result of conjecture; no one actually can state, AS FACT, that the sources attributed were the cause.

One thing that has been proven to cause many deaths in SEA, and elsewhere, is adulterated booze. Malaysia is one source of booze "kicked up" with a dose of - you guessed it - PESTICIDES!

Wouldn't surprise me, a bit, if many of the cheap cocktail wagons and pool bar mightr use such concoctions.

Could the use of pesticides explain why apples never seem to deteriorate here? Even with the heat over apples last weeks.

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

Get an APPLE charger for your mobile cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It took me a month or two to get a small measuring cylinder, I was told that I was being 'Farang fussy'.

You just get stuff like 'little, little' or Farang too skinny, why you use so little'.

This might explain why my motorcycle tires were inflated by the Thai "mechanic" with 50+ PSI! Good thing the stupid FARANG has a stupid FARANG gauge! I was served with a smile though! smile.png I am sure that some Thai males don't like the competition, but this is pretty mean! Surely, they knew! On the other hand, not all Thais are like that! Definitely not!

However,...

To the minister:

In most countries, you would be fired for:

1. making such a comment,
  2. not knowing that this is not so (assuming that you are not willfully erring, of course),
  3. not fining the hotel operator (or taking other measures to curb the use of this pesticide or regulate it), and
  4. not indicating precisely what you are going to do about the problem.

Keep driving your Benz, but make sure you buy a good gauge! :)

On the other hand, they finally did admit it it was the pesticide that did it! Granted 2 years after the facts,... Can we be really sure that this was so, though!

Note: Not all is perfect in our countries, but this is a bit much to take!

It may have been pesticides but I highly doubt it was from the room being sprayed. If I recall it seemed like the deaths were sudden and near simultaneous and they didn't try to call or alert anyone. Doesn't seem logical it would kill them that fast and they would not have smelled something off in the room. I think they were poisoned and possibly accidental but there are just too many reasons to not believe the poison was from the room being sprayed. Even if it was sprayed in and got into drinking glasses doesn't seem all that plausible unless the glasses had so much pesticide in that it was visible in liquid form. These were not too 70 year old women with health conditions.

I seem to recall that two years ago when it happened, it was explained that the insect repellant DEET in combination with the pesticide will multiply the overall toxicity hundreds of times.

That one cof the symptoms is paralysis along with the vomiting etc.

It was pointed out that the "Jugs" of cocktails on offer on the beaches often contain shots of DEET, because it is thought to give a Hi!

Therefore, if the young ladies had unwittingly consumed DEET as well as spraying it on their skin to ward off mozzies they would be very vulnerable and coming into contact with the pesticide sprayed liberally in the room, on the sheets could have combined to cause the dreadful result.

Wasn't the Gulf War Syndrome put down to a cocktail of chemicals where, individually there was no problem from any one of the chems ?

RIP the ladies and let's hope the truth is discovered and told to stop further tragedies and at least give closure to their families and loved ones.

• Like 2