Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
swbailey

Jellyfish - The Facts

The main reason that urine does work is because of the ammonia in it. You are much better off if you can find a bottle of pure ammonia to keep in your first aid kit. I speak from experience...I was stung ny a Portuguese Man O-War...Agonizing pain....the big help was at the hospital, they poured ammonia all over my back and then a very hard scrub to remove the stingers still in there. After that it was a long soak in a hot whirlpool. no scars or anything...The scars happen when people wait too long to go to the Dr. and it gets infected. Safe swimming out there guys.

This article suggests:

"Bluebottle" aka portuguese Man'o War are not jellyfish and that a victim should flush the sting with sea water, not fresh water or vinegar, as is the case with jellyfish.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-swimmers-warned-to-beware-portuguese-men-o-war-47031.php

Seems to contradict many of the posts here.

It doesn't contradict read the last line

You need to include cut&paste in order for me to know what to respond.

I pasted the last line in my comment.

The poster I responded to indicated he was stung by a Portuguese Man-o-War and received a vinegar wash at the hospital. I pasted a news article that indicates the proper treatment is not vinegar.

Also because if winegar could be a reasonable first aid by common people... looks really a poor way inside an hospital...

wai2.gif

In Hua Hin, is the jellyfish situation worse or better in the rainy season ?

And, sorry for being a bit off the topic, but just wondering how the jellyfish situation in Koh Tao is, as compared to in Hua Hin. Cheers.

Symptoms of Man-of-War and Jellyfish Stings;

First, know your jellyfish! A man-of-war is different from a true jellyfish and both are different from a box jellyfish. If you don't know what caused the sting, carefully lift off any remaining tentacles and rinse with seawater. Don't scrub the area and don't apply any chemical (e.g., vinegar, fresh water, commercial product), as inappropriate use can cause injury or death. Don't make the sting worse. Unless the person has a reaction to the venom, stings heal well on their own. Here are the symptoms of a man-of-war or jellyfish sting:

Painful raised red lesions running along the site of tentacle contact (most common symptom)

The lesions may become filled with fluid. Sometimes these will heal with pigmentation.

Muscle spasms in the affected area

Systemic reactions: nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizziness, muscle weakness, runny nose, difficulty breathing, and irregular heart rate (these symptoms are more likely to occur in sensitive individuals or those with extensive stings)

First Aid for Man-of-War Stings;

Prevent further stings. Carefully lift off tentacle remnants, using a stick or gloved fingers. Do not rub the tentacles off, as this will cause more nematocysts to sting.

Next, rinse the affected area with seawater. Do NOT use fresh water or vinegar, as these may cause the stinging cells to discharge all at once and may greatly worsen the sting! Do not scrub the affected area. [vinegar, papain (as in meat tenderizer), baking soda, urine, or aluminum sulfate all may deactivate the toxin, but they may also cause the stinging cells to discharge all at once, possibly intensifying the injury]

Ice may be applied to reduce pain and swelling.

Pain can be countered with topical treatment of products containing lidocaine or benzocaine (as in those products used for sunburn).

Diphenhydramine (benadryl) cream may be applied for persistent itching.

Seek immediate medical attention if the person stung is having any difficulty breathing or maintaining consciousness.

Seek medical attention for muscle spasms.

Infection is possible, so seek medical attention if the pain persists, the rash worsens, a feeling of overall illness develops, lymph nodes become swollen, a red streak develops between lymph nodes and the sting, or the area becomes hot, red, and tender.

It is not uncommon for the sites of man-of-war stings to 'flare up' with irritation periodically for up to 6-8 weeks following the sting. Unless the signs of infection are seen, these symptoms tend to resolve on their own.

http://azareal.hubpages.com/hub/Portuguese-Man-of-War-Stings

Edited by ding
  • Like 1

glad I found this thread, it's very informative.

we're staying in Hua Hin next month for a week or so. my son loves being in the sea, I struggle to get him out of it to eat!

maybe i'll get him one of those beach suits for protection but at 14 he'll probably protest but no suity no swimmy!!

It's been 1 year now i stay in Hua Hin, there is a huge problem of Jelly fish and sea lice in the gulf of Siam that's for sure. I do not know when it started exactly but i have the feeling it getting worst. Day before yesterday i went for a swim in front of the Soi 75 (near village market and BKK hospital), and i could feel some sort of small bubbles of jelly between my hands and got itchy (red spots) on the body and small stings sensation time to time but not strong. Not the kind that would makes you rush out of the water at all but very unpleasant feeling for swimming.

My concern is that i noticed those same jellies bubbles and swimming sting-itchy sensation last year, it was before tones of big real jellyfish were washed up on the shore and made the headlines... It was impossible to swim and dangerous to go in the water at that time...

It's really early in the season for the Jellyfish to return and the wind is west- south west everyday so i wonder why jellyfish or sea lice would be here so early ?

Any expert have an idea if it's safe to continue to swim at the moment ?

Edited by element555
  • Like 1

Loads of people swimming on Khao Tao Sai Noi today. Onshore wind I'm guessing South Easterly.

Signs were clear about the risk of jelly fish but still plenty of people in the water. Having said that several wore tee-shirts

Trip

Tuesday report : Soi 75, i have try to swim 20 meters away form the shore and get my body and face stung everywhere ! I could feel some sort of small jellies bubbles (like eggs) between my fingers (i have manage to capture one of them check pictures bellow). Again it's not strong stings and the tingling does not last more than 30 minutes but it's impossible to swim. It’s really feels like jumping in a nettle bush. Same result in Takiab yesterday + sandflies (elbow sting on the picture).

But going back to the sea problem, there is something in the water which stings... maybe it's a combination of things: sealices like someone mentioned, jellyfish eggs, plancton... I’m not sure but i really want to know. From my experience i had only few days, during may-june where those things were not in the water. Rest of the time you can always feels those sea nettles or jellyfish…

Sadly sandflies are here all year, i confirm, new bites yesterday.. Yes as somebody said here, why do i insist to go to the beach ? Well before leaving i would like to know exactly what are those things. If it’s a global warming effect then it will spread everywhere in the gulf of Thailand even snorkeling and diving islands in the south..

http://imgur.com/N24wPAD

http://imgur.com/PPo7qsJ

http://imgur.com/LAb8UkS

horse manure :

http://imgur.com/gBCWaWd

Edited by element555

Stay well away from all spotted and coloured Jellyfish. We were told many years ago in Hua Hin these types are deadly. Especially the White one with red spots on top.

I grew up in Corpus Christi Texas and we regularly encountered the Blue Floating Man of War with long purple tenacales. These and jellyfish venom, in fact, most venom from snakes to insects is a protein-based poison. Proteins are broken down or denatured in a number of ways. Boiling an egg denatures the protein and it changes appearance.

Bottom line, as is buried in some of these posts, meat tenderizing specifically breaks down these venoms.

Mildly acidic things like vinegar, ketchup, boric acid, and yes, urine of any type will neutralize the poision. We always kept a bottle of Adophs Meat Tenderizer in car. Of course my friends were always quite prepared to pee in my leg. That is often the most readily available anodyne..

Whatever you do , do it quickly !!!

same thing. i've been living in huahin for past 10 years. kitesurfing all the time. or teacching kite.  been using  protective gear, lycra, jellysifh pants, gloves. but  in june i went out kiting without jellyfish pants.  and  i got stung , bad. it took almost 3 months to heal

it hurt for  a week or more. then oosing puss. never get to heal.   got different creams from  bangkok hospital.   lately discovered Aloe Vera  works very well. and its free as it grows in my garden.

but scars i will have forever. big and ugly scars