Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

Hi there,

I know the tax story is a never ending story I'm thinking about permanently moving to Southeast Asia. I have been residing in Thailand 4/5 months a year for the past 4 years.

How did you do it? Just trough a Thai company? Or an offshore account/offshore company? For me it is important that everything is legal, I dont want any problems when I return back to Holland.

Thanks in advance!

how are you earning your money...this will have a bearing on how you set things up...

Be advised, if your paying Tax in Thailand, if its a reasonably large salary, you could be paying 25%-30% tax (look up the Thai tax tables for info)

but there are options

Hey soutpeel,

Yes I've read the Thai tax tables. I am a self employed seafarer, 25% - 30% is better than Dutch taxes but still not really as low as i want them to be.

What would be the best legal way to avoid (high) taxes? Is it possible to start a company in Singapore or Hong Kong, pay taxes there and live in Thailand or The Philippines?

My income will vary between US$ 80.000 and US$ 120.000 each year, mainly earned in the northsea. Which means I can't just "hide" the money in an offshore account.

Best regards.

Edited by BuangAva

Hey soutpeel,

Yes I've read the Thai tax tables. I am a self employed seafarer, 25% - 30% is better than Dutch taxes but still not really as low as i want them to be.

What would be the best legal way to avoid (high) taxes? Is it possible to start a company in Singapore or Hong Kong, pay taxes there and live in Thailand or The Philippines?

My income will vary between US$ 80.000 and US$ 120.000 each year, mainly earned in the northsea. Which means I can't just "hide" the money in an offshore account.

Best regards.

In all honesty I don't know Dutch tax laws, and you are working in Europe, the best advice I could give is talk to a Dutch tax lawyer/advisor tell them your plan to move SEA, ie become Non-resident in Holland and find out what the options are

Starting a company in HK/Singapore and living in Thailand can be done, in fact I live in Thailand and get paid into Singapore, so that side of it wouldn't be a problem, but the bit I don't know is the Europe end, i.e. getting you money out without attracting tax as your work in Europe.

as an example, I was offered a job by a UK company on the North Sea a few years ago, I am non-resident in the UK, and I asked a similar question and they told me point blank, they would tax me via the UK tax system, so you do really need to find via the Dutch tax laws what you and cant get away with legally, as if you do something "shady" set up and a few years down the road the Dutch tax man is after you for back taxes, you don't need that..

sorry I cant be of more help on Dutch tax side of things...

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Thx soutpeel, i dont work the uk sector so no need to worry about that. In Holland they will pay u as long as u have a registered company and a VAT number.

Did some research and phonecalls to Dutch tax advisory companies, looks like it's going to be a company in Seychelles Island and a bank account in Mauritius.

Open a personal account at HSBC in Singapore, get paid there. Singapore does not care if you do not reside there or get your income from there. Don't report it to any tax authority. It's none of their business if you are not tax resident in any particular country if they don't know about it. North sea is 186 days per 365 before you are liable for tax as a foreigner, don't exceed that in any period that can be connected. It is not fiscal or calendar dependent.

Why pay them for nothing in exchange, you get no citizen benefits, no retirement benefits, nothing!

If you give away your hard earned income to any old tax man that comes along, you are only a statistical check in a box!

Of course, speak to a tax advisor that assists seamen and other offshore workers, google and you will find one.

• Like 1

Yes but a singapore bankaccount wouldnt give me a vat number, which means no one will pay me.

Syechelles company with singapore bamkaccount is one of the other options.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I work for a ship owner, we do not require a VAT number, just a name and account number. Not sure what sort of company or contract you have?

Freelance, no contracts.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Could not be easier!

I work offshore in the North Sea on an oil rig and reside in Thailand I work through an agency as self employed, my money goes through the agency then to an accountant in Switzerland then into my British bank account....NO TAX to pay, what i earn I receive, I pay a small amount in bank charges and accountants fees.

Open a personal account at HSBC in Singapore, get paid there. Singapore does not care if you do not reside there or get your income from there. Don't report it to any tax authority. It's none of their business if you are not tax resident in any particular country if they don't know about it. North sea is 186 days per 365 before you are liable for tax as a foreigner, don't exceed that in any period that can be connected. It is not fiscal or calendar dependent.

Why pay them for nothing in exchange, you get no citizen benefits, no retirement benefits, nothing!

If you give away your hard earned income to any old tax man that comes along, you are only a statistical check in a box!

Of course, speak to a tax advisor that assists seamen and other offshore workers, google and you will find one.

Quite difficult to open a bank account in Singapore if you are a foreigner without an address. My money is paid into HSBC Singapore, but rules changed shortly after I opened my account

I work offshore in the North Sea on an oil rig and reside in Thailand I work through an agency as self employed, my money goes through the agency then to an accountant in Switzerland then into my British bank account....NO TAX to pay, what i earn I receive, I pay a small amount in bank charges and accountants fees.

I'd be careful with this now. The agency will be supplying details to HMRC of all their outgoing payments.

• Like 2

Quite difficult to open a bank account in Singapore if you are a foreigner without an address. My money is paid into HSBC Singapore, but rules changed shortly after I opened my account
Its virtually impossible to open an account with a local Singapore bank if your nonresident, nothing to do with being a foreigner

it relatively easy to open a bank account with one of the multinationals, eg HSBC, Citi etc as a non resident, provided your not a US citizen or green card holder

The rules in Singapore haven't changed per se

Edited by Soutpeel