george

Update the map on Toyota built-in GPS - quoted 34,000 Baht

Wanted to have the built in GPS map on a Toyota Fortuner updated to latest maps, as it was missing a few waypoints,

The local Toyota dealer just quoted me 34,000 Baht for a new, updated GPS map. Ouch!

What's going on here? No upgrade path?

• Like 1

I've got a 2007 Camry DVD Navigator and when I purchased the car they assured me that the upgrade was free under warranty. Utter bull !! 1 month before the warranty expired they said there was no update and explained that it's on the way and could incur a minor charge, asking how much they said they did not know but assured that it shouldn't be much.

Sure as turd, 1 month after the warranty expired I called again and they said the upgrade would cost 30,xxx baht. I was extremely pissed, emailed all the way to Toyota Japan.... the result... NADA. Toyota does not care about their customers. Their sales are complete useless and bullturd artists, and their technicians are back-alley hacks.

ok..ok.. i'm probably wrong about their technicians, but their management are full of turd...

To this day, my navigation unit is years old, still missing Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Ask me if I'll every buy a Toyota in Thailand again..... I love to give the answer.

• Like 2

Angiud

How did you do that do you have s link to the internet were you can do it anf maybe a how to do?

I use my good old Nokia N8 as Navi. No need for a SIM Card, all maps needed are available for free (about 70 countries or so). If you got an Android phone you might give mapfactor with OpeStreetMaps a chance. Don't waste money for expensive hardware which will never be updated.

• Like 1

34,000 baht to UPGRADE a map...!? That is daylight robbery. All they have to do is upload a new map data into the thing.

I just use Speednavi on my Samsung, or Google Maps also on the phone - although Google Maps might not have all the fine detail that Speednavi has, but either one is fine, and Speednavi came with the mobile as an inclusion.

How? Do you have a link to the Internet adresse?

You need the code on the Speednavi GPS device and one in your car book. Then follow the instruction. They will ask you a transfer for the charge and then follow th (not easy) instructions or/and call the company telephone operator.

http://speednavi.com/?N=TH&L=EN

34,000 baht to UPGRADE a map...!? That is daylight robbery. All they have to do is upload a new map data into the thing.

I just use Speednavi on my Samsung, or Google Maps also on the phone - although Google Maps might not have all the fine detail that Speednavi has, but either one is fine, and Speednavi came with the mobile as an inclusion.

The whole Toyota satnav product is a rip off. My son wanted it fitted in his Toyota Yaris and was quoted approx £1000 (in the UK) for supply and fit! So we found one on ebay for £150, managed to get an installation sheet off of Toyota (with some effort) and it took about an hour to fit.

Then the updated navigation dvd disks can be bought direct from Toyota for about £135 - in UK this is 4 disks as I remember - one of which was for the uk the others were for other parts of Europe and USA so we sold the others on ebay for about £35.

My Prius uses different disks but same rip off prices so I do the same thing - buy the set from Toyota and sell the ones I don't want. I have tried copying the disks but they seem to use an odd format but if someone can find a way then that would be a lucrative business.

But.... My Toyota sat nav can only search by the first 4 post code characters so more often than not I used Google maps and have now moved onto an app called "Waze" which shows speed cameras, allows you share directions with others and you can quickly touch the screen when you hit a traffic jam or road block so that others can be warned. You can also contact other drivers using Waze. I am back in the uk now so not sure about compatibility in Thailand but its free so worth a try

On 24/05/2014 at 1:12 AM, indothai said:

I've got a 2007 Camry DVD Navigator and when I purchased the car they assured me that the upgrade was free under warranty. Utter bull !! 1 month before the warranty expired they said there was no update and explained that it's on the way and could incur a minor charge, asking how much they said they did not know but assured that it shouldn't be much.

Sure as turd, 1 month after the warranty expired I called again and they said the upgrade would cost 30,xxx baht. I was extremely pissed, emailed all the way to Toyota Japan.... the result... NADA. Toyota does not care about their customers. Their sales are complete useless and bullturd artists, and their technicians are back-alley hacks.

ok..ok.. i'm probably wrong about their technicians, but their management are full of turd...

To this day, my navigation unit is years old, still missing Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Ask me if I'll every buy a Toyota in Thailand again..... I love to give the answer.

"Their sales are complete useless and bullturd artists, and their technicians are back-alley hacks."

...oh my....a slur....hope you don't get a warning letter....."yikes...share-yl's watching us"

• Like 1

Toyota way too expensive on many accessories etc.

Eight months ago we bought a new Avanza, came with two sets of keys (with the remote to open / close doors etc).

We asked for the price on of extra set of keys ( with the remote.....)

We got two shocks:

1. Price 5,800Baht for a set plus the cost of delivery from Japan.

2. Dumb (but beautiful) sales girl tried to give my Thai daughter in law a blunt lecture about how we should make our family arrangements to ensure original keys are passed around as needed. Son Thai stepped in and scolded the girl for her insolence. Sales girl got annoyed and told my daughter in law she was rude to even ask about extra keys in the first place.

My Garmin I bought from Chiang Mai does everything I need it to do and at a cost of 3,000THB.....

• Like 1