Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Seastallion

All Food Related, restaurants, reviews, best pizza, Thai food etc...

Seastallion    10,523

Very decent pizza in Hat Yai

Wifey and I thought we'd jump on the scooter and explore the back streets and roads on the outskirts, with finding an nice little restaurant, possibly with odd fare that you don't find in the city proper.

On a road leading to the new highway to Songkhla, came across a pizza place that looked ok, and although we had Thai food in mind, pizza sounded good.

Well, the ambiance was nice. Air con, very high ceiling, and professionally decorated. Modern. There was an outside eating area too. Ordered the chef's special pizza (280 bht, there were other special pizzas, and a list of 250 bht pizzas too). There was a range of pasta dishes. The waitress asked what we'd like to drink (a pleasant change to be asked). I had iced doi chaang coffee....not bad, (but not as good as the doi toong I have at a friend's coffee shop in town.). The pizza came in good time, was big, and had a nice traditional thin crispy crust, hand spun/rolled. The tomato base was very nice. real basil, good umami, not sweet, not sour, just right. A decent amount of cheese, a mozzarella/cheddar mix I think as it was soft cheesy and just the right amount of stringy. Real spinach, cooked just right, some sort of fish, nicer than anchovy....I forget what else, but it wasn't overloaded nor was it a meager topping. A nice mix. and balanced.

My only gripe (not really a gripe..call it a mild constructive criticism (although I didn't say anything)) was they used the local over-processed bland frank-type sausage as the "sausage". In the absence of salami, they could have used naam, or even sprinkled larb mu on it and it would have been excellent. For my taste, a bit more chillie in the sauce would have improved it.

Overall, a very nice pizza, served in pleasant surroundings by efficient staff.

I suppose I should tell you where it is.....

I think it is Thanon Nipatsongkraw 5....the road from Siam Nakarin.....or maybe it is off that....it's the road to the floating market. The place is called Payom Pizza and is about 500 m (or more) short of the floating market, also on the left.

• Like 2

phuketsub    457

Thanks for the tip. I could die for a decent slice at this point...I'll have to get my map out; I didn't even realize there was a floating market in Haad Yai.

Stocky    399

I see they're excavating a new faux floating market just downstream from Wat Hat Yai Nai you can see the excavation (it's not flooded yet) if you drive down Soi Sakornmongkol the road parallel to the U-Taphao River opposite the Amphur.

It'll just become some ghastly rubbish filled mosquito farm.

Seastallion    10,523

I see they're excavating a new faux floating market just downstream from Wat Hat Yai Nai you can see the excavation (it's not flooded yet) if you drive down Soi Sakornmongkol the road parallel to the U-Taphao River opposite the Amphur.

It'll just become some ghastly rubbish filled mosquito farm.

It makes sense. The established floating market is quite faux in itself and is a bit out of the way and has tuktuk mafia running the transport (we went for a look; 40 baht tuktuk there, but no tuktuk would take us back for less than 250, and all the tuktuks had one man speaking for them)

If you're going to have a tourist trap, make it close to the hotels.

Rooo    4,022

Would be interesting to have a pinned topic we can add to, with all the great / good/ different style of foods or sourcing them. We could use that as a reference point, so they don't disappear in the general posts.

For example where is the best Pizza, best Masaman etc..........

If you are interested let me know.

• Like 2

phuketsub    457

Would be interesting to have a pinned topic we can add to, with all the great / good/ different style of foods or sourcing them. We could use that as a reference point, so they don't disappear in the general posts.

It's definitely a good idea. The "list of favorite restaurants in Phuket" has over 150,000 views.

The only problem is that you tend to get a lot of cheerleading of venues by owners and their friends.

Rooo    4,022

It's definitely a good idea. The "list of favorite restaurants in Phuket" has over 150,000 views.

The only problem is that you tend to get a lot of cheerleading of venues by owners and their friends.

Yes I know, we have a similar one in the Samui forum, easily vet the commercial side. Recommendations & reviews strictly on a personal experiences, hard but can usually be sorted.

PS, The one in Samui includes everything food related & a new thread started fresh each year.

Edited by Rooo
PS

Definitely interested.

In he meantime, I'll be sure to check out Payomburi Pizza next time I'm in Hat Yai. Thanks for the tip, Seastallion!

• Like 1

Seastallion    10,523

I'm in to that.

I can't envisage commercial interests promoting....Southern Thai TV section is relatively small compared to the others, and is not Western tourist oriented.

phuketsub    457

I had lunch at "Mr Steak" on Kanchanawanich Road in Muang District, Songkhla (just north of Thaksin U, same side) yesterday. Not very good, and quite expensive. (500 baht for two, No beer!). Overstaffed, yet poor, inattentive service across the board. This so often seems to be the case, anywhere I have gone in this country...

They also were showing an extremely graphic, violent movie on the large screen TV. I'd like to know who on this planet enjoys watching images of grotesque people/zombies being riddled with bullets and coughing up blood in slow-motion when they are trying to eat?

The only time the staff really 'perked up' and got off their smartphones was when The Lazy Song came on, performed by some Thai singers. I found the irony quite amusing.

I need to know the location of the best Isarn restaurant in Songkhla Town: asap! Any and all help appreciated.

The bathroom situation there also leaves a lot to be desired: Just one squat toilet that was occupied for at least ten minutes before I got a chance to see it. I was really looking forward to a royal experience (getting to sit on a real throne) after two months of squatting. A big let-down.

• Like 1

Rooo    4,022

Pinning this topic as a reference point for all to share. Please share your experiences,recommendations of restaurants, the best places to source products , recipes , wish list etc...

• Like 1

rajyindee    457

Pinning this topic as a reference point for all to share. Please share your experiences,recommendations of restaurants, the best places to source products , recipes , wish list etc...

I don't think it's a good idea for this particular forum (Southern Thailand). I would open a thread about restaurants in Hat Yai or Songkhla, but not if the restaurant is likely to be in Chumpon or Betong. It might work for the Samui and Phuket forums, but there are several hundred kms between Chumpon and Betong. In this case, I think a sub-forum would probably be a better Idea so at least a thread title will give some indication if that particular thread/review is likely to be of any interest.

Seastallion    10,523

I had lunch at "Mr Steak" on Kanchanawanich Road in Muang District, Songkhla (just north of Thaksin U, same side) yesterday. Not very good, and quite expensive. (500 baht for two, No beer!). Overstaffed, yet poor, inattentive service across the board. This so often seems to be the case, anywhere I have gone in this country...

They also were showing an extremely graphic, violent movie on the large screen TV. I'd like to know who on this planet enjoys watching images of grotesque people/zombies being riddled with bullets and coughing up blood in slow-motion when they are trying to eat?

The only time the staff really 'perked up' and got off their smartphones was when The Lazy Song came on, performed by some Thai singers. I found the irony quite amusing.

I need to know the location of the best Isarn restaurant in Songkhla Town: asap! Any and all help appreciated.

The bathroom situation there also leaves a lot to be desired: Just one squat toilet that was occupied for at least ten minutes before I got a chance to see it. I was really looking forward to a royal experience (getting to sit on a real throne) after two months of squatting. A big let-down.

Hmmm..... I don't know the name of the road , but it is "the old road" Hat Yai - Songkhla, and around the halfway point (very near Wat Kok Sung) is a steak place called Steak Nai Suan. IS that the same place? I've been thinking of going there.

Yes, I have no familial connections with Isaan, but I do like Isaan food,,,would be good to know where to go.

rajyindee    457

Hmmm..... I don't know the name of the road , but it is "the old road" Hat Yai - Songkhla, and around the halfway point (very near Wat Kok Sung) is a steak place called Steak Nai Suan. IS that the same place? I've been thinking of going there.

Yes, I have no familial connections with Isaan, but I do like Isaan food,,,would be good to know where to go.

Mr Steak is a franchise type restaurant - there's one in the middle of Songkhla City and one out by Taksin Uni/Tesco Lotus. Steak Nai Suan, is actually OKish ... Thai-style steaks at Thai-style prices.

Getting back to Pizza Payom/Payomburi Bakery ... I stopped by this afternoon - it wasn't too bad at all.

post-145960-0-40789300-1405614173_thumb.

post-145960-0-48482600-1405614199_thumb.

post-145960-0-66292900-1405614242_thumb.

post-145960-0-26416700-1405614273_thumb.

• Like 1