Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Seastallion

All Food Related, restaurants, reviews, best pizza, Thai food etc...

Posted (edited)

The Cottage -  (Phone No. 089 679 3444)
This restaurant/bar is situated  on Klongrien 1, about 200m south of the Hat Yai Bangkok Hospital, look for a cottage style building with a faux red UK telephone box outside. You can either take a table inside or sit outside, inside tables are quite big refectory type affairs, so you might find yourself sharing. It's a popular haunt for students; a bar and restaurant that stays open until 1am with live music at weekends.

Food, despite the name and the red telephone box, is Thai and the menu is huge so takes a while to read through, there's a good seafood selection. I saw pizza on the menu though the toppings are Thai style, wasn't tempted. We had a selection of dishes including curry crab and a steamed fish. Wide selection of drinks, they have a range of cocktails and shots, plus draught local beers. The food and atmosphere was good, service a little hit and miss at times, but they were busy. Meal for five adults and a child with drinks came to Bht2,200. Will visit again.

Pailin Steakhouse 
Sripoovanart Road close by the fire station, on the right hand side going into Hat Yai, has a brightly lit sign and a modern decor. Passed it many times decided this weekend to give it a try. We shouldn't have.

What to say, decor was neat and clean, service was quick and attentive, menu is extensive, food is cheap but fairly awful. Steak and drinks for four adults and a child Bht1,500.  One to miss.

Edited by Stocky

Ok hope this is correct place as it is a food it should make the Grade.

Im after where to buy Licorice in Chiang Mai, since being here for 2 years I have been able to buy at either Tops or Rimping first Tops stopped stocking it(or at least the ones I go to) and now finally Rimping the last that still stocked it stopped as well(the one over the river behind the Night Bazaar). 

I used to buy HARIBO brand as that was all I could find, it had Lakritz on the bag(which I know translates to Licorice), it is my substitute for more sweeter things while I try and contain my weight.

All help greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, Billy Bloggs said:

Ok hope this is correct place as it is a food it should make the Grade.

Im after where to buy Licorice in Chiang Mai, since being here for 2 years I have been able to buy at either Tops or Rimping first Tops stopped stocking it(or at least the ones I go to) and now finally Rimping the last that still stocked it stopped as well(the one over the river behind the Night Bazaar). 

I used to buy HARIBO brand as that was all I could find, it had Lakritz on the bag(which I know translates to Licorice), it is my substitute for more sweeter things while I try and contain my weight.

All help greatly appreciated.

I think you posted in a topic on the wrong forum. Perhaps do a topic on the Chiang Mai Forum .

• Like 1

Was in Gaps Garten (7.0043368, 100.486776) again last night and they now have draft Singha as an alternative to the very good, though expensive, imported German bottle beers. Food was as good as usual, though service was just as slow. Total bill for five adults and a child for two course meal with drinks/alcohol was Bht2,700.

They also have live music at weekends now. 

The Basil - (Phone: 081 891 9321)
We'd been meaning to try this restaurant for some time, so thought Mother's Day would be a good opportunity. Restaurant is tucked away down Punnakun Road Soi 2, just of Kanjanavanit Road heading toward PSU (7.000967, 100.49213). It's styled as Italian, Mediterranean, cuisine.

The menu is extensive, with a wide selection of appetisers, pasta, pizza, mains and desserts. We didn't order any pizza but the ones we saw being served elsewhere looked really good. We had a variety of starters and mains, all were well presented and very tasty, with large portions, daughter's locally sourced steak was surprisingly good.  The place was busy, so service was a little hit and miss, annoyingly some of the appetisers arrived after the mains. Finished off with dessert, the lemon tart was excellent.

Overall prices were reasonable ranging from Bht180 for pasta dishes, to Bht250 for main course, and going up to Bht800 for an imported Australian steak. For three adults and a child the total bill for a 3 course meal with drinks, including alcohol, came to Bht2,700.

We'll be back.

Eggs Benedict at Jida's Cafe in Trang by the railroad station.... They do it right..

How about a food forum that excludes burgers and pizzas. Maybe include Southern Thai food! Just a thought.