iancnx

Skytrain in Chiang Mai

83 posts in this topic

they built this mono rail in Las Vegas, but the cab company mafia made it end 3 miles short of the terminal. As a result of ridership being low, they had to jack up fare, and now fewer people ride it, and it is hemorrhaging money big time. I can't imagine our beloved Red Taxi mob would ever do anything like that.

This will be done as soon as the cable cars to Pai are finished.

Pai Pie in the sky.....

2 people like this

ID: 23   Posted (edited)

To cut down on traffic they should promote these...

post-80628-0-11396000-1408529465_thumb.j

Edited by onthedarkside
photo size reformatted
2 people like this

Completely impractical, and will never happen. Beautiful map, but where are they going to run these light rail cars? Down the center of the road? You will never be able to get across to them for traffic, plus the roads are not wide enough on the proposed routes. Down the side of the roads? Property acquisition would be prohibitive.

Cable cars and tunnels to Mae Hong Son spring to mind!

We seem to be stuck on the idea of ABOVE ground. The BKK system is so slow, and such a small area, with the exception of the train out to the airport.

Go underground like all the major cities around the world. Fast, efficient, out of sight, no land takeovers apart from stations. The technology is there, but just possibly the money isn't.

Does anyone have figures on population growth in Chiang Mai in the past 5 years, and projected population? The number of new condos opening up in the past few years is amazing.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of urban planning, and where are the parks? Can't walk around the footpaths - they've already been invaded by motor bikes.

2 people like this

Completely impractical, and will never happen. Beautiful map, but where are they going to run these light rail cars? Down the center of the road? You will never be able to get across to them for traffic, plus the roads are not wide enough on the proposed routes. Down the side of the roads? Property acquisition would be prohibitive.

We seem to be stuck on the idea of ABOVE ground. The BKK system is so slow, and such a small area, with the exception of the train out to the airport.

Go underground like all the major cities around the world. Fast, efficient, out of sight, no land takeovers apart from stations. The technology is there, but just possibly the money isn't.

Does anyone have figures on population growth in Chiang Mai in the past 5 years, and projected population? The number of new condos opening up in the past few years is amazing.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of urban planning, and where are the parks? Can't walk around the footpaths - they've already been invaded by motor bikes.

Haha, go underground. Have you seen the wiring here, they can't even get that put underground like most places around the world have already done.

100 years plus or minus a year or two before CM gets a MRT.

This has been raised before and I believe the problem is to do with the water table level and flooding area/plain

2 people like this

I was in ChiangMai in 2008 and traffic was bad then.I can only imagine how it is now.They need to do something.

Just looking at the routes was wondering if a sky train was put on them how many of the roads have the space to allow them. Would it not make some streets far worse?

I can see no way in he-l that it would imp[rove the traffic at the Super highway where Maya is located. They would need three of them to make a difference.

Just looking at the routes was wondering if a sky train was put on them how many of the roads have the space to allow them. Would it not make some streets far worse?

I can see no way in he-l that it would imp[rove the traffic at the Super highway where Maya is located. They would need three of them to make a difference.

Bulldoze Maya to make way for a multistorey carpark to serve that end of town, with a/c songteaw to take people further into town....

2 people like this

The map illustrates a project of epic proportions; a much simplified plan will be necessary. For the posters against. Like it or not, CM is the country's second city, and it will grow accordingly. Romantic ideals are great for days gone by, but unfortunately we are in the 21st century. I believe much of the inner city should be traffic free pedestrian walk ways, then there will be room for new transport infrastructure. The amount of traffic cannot be allowed to physically grow much more. A new plan is needed.

2 people like this

You seem to be thinking like a westerner...

CB

Possibly, but my last post could equally have come from city planners and civil engineers from Singapore, S Korea, Japan, and I am sure many other non western countries.

CB

Possibly, but my last post could equally have come from city planners and civil engineers from Singapore, S Korea, Japan, and I am sure many other non western countries.

Yes, and look how sterile and uninteresting Singapore has become! A poor analogy I'm afraid.

CB

Yes, and look how sterile and uninteresting Singapore has become! A poor analogy I'm afraid.

It's clean and safe, easy to maintain, has rubbish bins every 15 metres, has full wheel chair access for the disabled, cheap well maintained taxis. Yes at a price of course, but at least the tax payers money isn't being pilfered so much there.

Anyway, Thailand will never be a Singapore, they don't have the discipline nor the drive for it. Hammock under a coconut tree is as far as they want to go...But with 3/4G and iPhones..

1 person likes this

They could build a tram system like Sheffield, UK

post-99758-0-59607000-1408591832_thumb.jpost-99758-0-62360500-1408591836_thumb.j

They run on city roads & there are also dedicated tracks.

CM traffic would have to be more disciplined & motorbikes might slip on wet rails, but hopefully people would use the comfortable aircon trams rather than scooters.

2 people like this

They could build a tram system like Sheffield, UK

attachicon.gifsupertram.jpgattachicon.giftram.jpg

They run on city roads & there are also dedicated tracks.

CM traffic would have to be more disciplined & motorbikes might slip on wet rails, but hopefully people would use the comfortable aircon trams rather than scooters.

The chaos this would cause would be mind dumbing.

You would have to completely ban motorised transport anywhere near these trams.

Melbourne and San Francisco yes, Chiang Mai, not in a million years.

Bulldoze Maya to make way for a multistorey carpark to serve that end of town, with a/c songteaw to take people further into town....

To the Promenada.

There are two kinds of people on the Planet Thailand....the Dreamer's and the Doer's. Sadly the 'Planners' in this country come mostly from the first group who can see it all in their minds eyes and love to create drawings, maps and video images of how things are going to be. Meanwhile the Doer's are busy stealing huge amounts of dosh and have no time for the Dreamer's ambitions, especially if none of the dreams are centered on Bangkok, the center of the Universe, and will provide ample top ups to life at the trough.

In ten years time come back and ask where the High Speed Train Station is, the Skytrain Terminal is and the Cable Car to Pai Station is. You will get the same response you will get today.....people laughing at you !

2 people like this