BANGKOK 19 November 2018 00:27
Sign in to follow this  
strabel23

Why Do You Like Living in Thailand?

Really!!! Now be honest folks.

I read a lot of complaints about being treated as a Falang with all the related discrimination, corruption, being over charged as a Falang, visa problems, dangerous driving conditions, etc. etc. and I can't say that I disagree with any of them.

So what brought you here to Thailand and what keeps you here?

For me I first came here because a friend told me this was his favorite country to visit when he travelled throughout Asia 22 years ago. Things have definitely changed since then.

I had just gotten out of a bad relationship so I would have gone anywhere and so my friend's suggestion was easy for me to make my decision to come here to see what it was all about.

I ended up meeting a beautiful Thai woman and have been together with her ever since. However I left Thailand 7 years ago and can't seem to find much of a reason anymore to want to live here for the rest of my existence.

What's your story.

My dream country was Japan. I eventually made it in May 1988, after three years in South-Korea...hated it....left fifteen days later.

Going back to SK was not an option? One of friends suggested a holiday ( give some time to think it over ) to Thailand ( had never heard of it )

Of course, with some money in the pocket life was as good as it could get, but a year later, as cheap as it could be, I realised that I needed to make some more and went to Europe....but had got the virus + feeling different + being considered above average pushed me back here in 1992

Been here ever since

It was difficult to adjust at the beginning, compared to hard working people from South Korea or Hong Kong but easy life weighed more in the balance

It would be difficult for me to live in Europe

• Like 1

here we go again same thread again... why not use the thread search and tack your comment on the end

The OP is either confused with his English ...

However I left Thailand 7 years ago and can't seem to find much of a reason anymore to want to live here for the rest of my existence.

Or he is ... Interesting ... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

My avatar is my girlfriend. That's why I'm here. That's why I'm staying. Any questions?

Noice (nice) ... thumbsup.gif

Does she have a younger sister ... asking for a friend of course ... rolleyes.gif

Thailand has it all. It is paradise for me but I do realise it isn't everybody's cup of tea.

• Like 2

My dream country was Japan. I eventually made it in May 1988, after three years in South-Korea...hated it....left fifteen days later.

Going back to SK was not an option? One of friends suggested a holiday ( give some time to think it over ) to Thailand ( had never heard of it )

Of course, with some money in the pocket life was as good as it could get, but a year later, as cheap as it could be, I realised that I needed to make some more and went to Europe....but had got the virus + feeling different + being considered above average pushed me back here in 1992

Been here ever since

It was difficult to adjust at the beginning, compared to hard working people from South Korea or Hong Kong but easy life weighed more in the balance

It would be difficult for me to live in Europe

I can understand why you didn't like Japan. Quite a contrast between countries.

So what you're saying is that you live here because it's cheap and you're treated better as a person (considered above average) than you would be if you were to live in Europe?

How would you rate your quality of life considering the area where you are presently living, accommodation, diet and entertainment?

Are there any annoyances you have to deal with here that sometimes can be overwhelming such as traffic congestion including Thai driving style. Pollution such as reckless disregard for the environment including littering in sea/beach areas and on the street. Lack of general cleanliness for example buildings/homes that have never been painted and have turned blackish in color, yards that are not maintained and are full of weeds etc.

How do you feel about being discriminated against and being charged for goods and services the Falang rate which can sometimes be double or even more such as entrance fee to state parks etc.?

All in all do you feel that your reasons for being here compensate you enough to justify remaining in this country indefinitely as long as you have the resources to do so?

Are there any other reasons you want to live in Thailand that you did not mention such as having a Thai wife and Family?

You have been here for a long time, how do you spend each day and do you ever find that you're bored?

I appreciate your response to my questions because I am presently in Thailand with my wife and have to make a decision to either live here again or sell our property and go back to my home country. The difference this time is that our son is now an adult and has decided he would rather live in my home country and has gone back already. I agree with you that it is cheaper to live here but I have to consider that with all of the other inconveniences of this country is it worth it? I assume that probably a lot of the foreigners presently living here are here for the availability of Thai women but once you have found someone that you can trust and live with is it worth it to stay any longer?

why would what other people feel about it affect your decision?

I've liked living in every place I've ever lived.

For what reason? Are you single and enjoy the bar life and that is all you want. If so I can understand that.

How do you spend each day and where are you presently living in Thailand?

Thailand has it all. It is paradise for me but I do realise it isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Where are you presently living and how do you spend your day in paradise?