Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
kerrymorton

Web Design Course - Thailand

Sounds like fun.

I hope you know you can't learn web design in a year. You can get a bachelor's degree in it and still be a beginner on the job.

If you've never seen it, right-click on this page and choose "view page source" or similar. You will see all of the html, css, javascript etc. that went into just this page, and that's ignoring the database that holds all of the posts and threads and other information that can be found.

Then there is the web store where people can buy something, put it into a cart and check out with a credit card or even paypal. That's a different kind of website.

So in a year in a good class you'd get an introduction to it, but you'd have a long way to go for a career.

Yes thanks I am aware I cannot learn it all in one year. I am just looking to learn some new skills about web design not to make a career of it. More for my own enjoyment.

As a web developer I would say that there is very little on offer in Thailand in terms of decent web development education. Look around at the sites. There are 1 or 2 good sites but they are, on the whole, outdated and they still believe Flash is applicable. Of the people in my circles I can recommend one Thai business that might be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.joomlacorner.com/

If anybody knows, they will.

I learnt the basics of Wordpress by attending a course at Web Courses Bangkok. It was over a year ago now but at the time the guy who runs, Carl, was trying to get the course officially recognised by the MOE so that they could start to offer Ed-Visas, not sure if he did or not but it was an excellent course and Carl is a nice guy and good teacher.

• Like 2

Know good things about Carl but not much else here. You will find several schools that are MOE approved and offer a mix of language and computer courses, but I doubt you would learn much of use....

Why not learn a language for the visa and learn a skill properly on the side?

I used WordPress once in a limited capacity and wasn't impressed.

Maybe this was due to my lack of knowledge of the product.

i would be interested in a school teaching this in Bangkok evenings and weekends. Not need a visa from them.

Anyone have anymore suggestions about this? I would love to check some schools out about this.

Have you tried wix.com ? The closest I'd previously gotten to web design was choosing a stock photo for possible uploading.

Three weeks ago i visited the wix.com website out of curiousity. In 90 minutes i designed a website and laid out the home page, the about us page and the contact us page. The reason it took so long was I hadn't drafted any of the text ahead of time. So 60 minutes writing and 30 minutes to do the website. And if you find a template you really love, you can be in and out in 20 minutes.

A few takeaways from that experience: 1) it is now so easy to build a fully functioning website with little or no prior experience -- wix is just one of many options, and i have no idea if wix is the best or the worst. 2) That's some serious competition for web designers, and 12 months from now I think the build-it-yourself will be even stronger. (might be better to learn to write code for mobile apps). 3) If you really, really wanna do it, then absolutely go ahead and do it and do great work t :)

On 11/5/2014 at 12:53 PM, NeverSure said:

Sounds like fun.

I hope you know you can't learn web design in a year. You can get a bachelor's degree in it and still be a beginner on the job.

If you've never seen it, right-click on this page and choose "view page source" or similar. You will see all of the html, css, javascript etc. that went into just this page, and that's ignoring the database that holds all of the posts and threads and other information that can be found.

Then there is the web store where people can buy something, put it into a cart and check out with a credit card or even paypal. That's a different kind of website.

So in a year in a good class you'd get an introduction to it, but you'd have a long way to go for a career.

- I got this post by Google search. Thanks for informative suggestion.

I tend to learn about HTML, and CSS next time. Would you please give me suggestion about School or Associates that I should register?