fareastguy

Renewing a British passport in Thailand (BKK)

222 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, eskatonia said:

I went today to get UK passport renewed.  There is a VFS front desk right inside the door, they speak english and directed me to the lift to 28th floor, pretty clear and straight forward.  Staff were efficient and helpful.  It seems if you have a work permit you don't need any proof of address, from what I can tell what they care about is that you're legally a resident of Thailand, not about where you live, so copy of work permit takes care of that.

I also had bank statements with my address but wasn't asked for them.  I also had a copy of my UK drivers license and they took that as well.  All good, in and out in 15 minutes.

Does your UK licence show your Thailand address.  

I was told a UK driving licence could only be registered to a UK address

44 minutes ago, eskatonia said:

Not sure why you're making the lift out to be a big deal.  There are other lifts that go to the 27th floor, so I imagine if the 28th floor lift was broken you'd go to the 27th floor and walk up one flight of stairs.

Might be a tad difficult to walk up even 1 flight of stairs if you're wheelchair-bound!

Just now, OJAS said:

Might be a tad difficult to walk up even 1 flight of stairs if you're wheelchair-bound!

Not if handsum Trans was around.....They may even enjoy a song or two whilst helping out...:giggle:

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, agudbuk said:

It's still on a UK address but I'm going to be swapping it for a Thai driving license soon.  Not even sure if they needed that, but I had a copy and they took the copy.

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, OJAS said:

The same is true for any office that has a lift.  So you'd have to come back another day in that case.  Seriously why are you making out like the lift is some huge problem?  I found the process painless, much nicer than dealing with Thai government departments.

53 minutes ago, eskatonia said:
1 hour ago, agudbuk said:

It's still on a UK address but I'm going to be swapping it for a Thai driving license soon.  Not even sure if they needed that, but I had a copy and they took the copy.

Indeed, the DVLA would never issue a UK Driving licence with an address in Thailand. It was pointless for VFS to take a copy of your UK licence, because the point of the supporting documentation is to verify a bona fide address in Thailand with which the passport can be linked, even if UKPA are not sending it to you there.

2 hours ago, eskatonia said:

The same is true for any office that has a lift.  So you'd have to come back another day in that case.  Seriously why are you making out like the lift is some huge problem?  I found the process painless, much nicer than dealing with Thai government departments.

So are you seriously suggesting that, having gone to the trouble of applying for a VFS appointment by email, undertaking a long and difficult journey to Bangkok from where you live out in the sticks, successfully gaining access to With-It Tower from the street and making it up as far as the 27th floor only to fall at the final hurdle because of the lift to the 28th floor being out of order and your inability to climb the remaining stairs instead, you are expected to go all the way back home and repeat the whole convoluted process with fingers firmly crossed that the lift to the 28th floor will be working again by the next appointed day and time?

1 person likes this

So are you seriously suggesting that, having gone to the trouble of applying for a VFS appointment by email, undertaking a long and difficult journey to Bangkok from where you live out in the sticks, successfully gaining access to With-It Tower from the street and making it up as far as the 27th floor only to fall at the final hurdle because of the lift to the 28th floor being out of order and your inability to climb the remaining stairs instead, you are expected to go all the way back home and repeat the whole convoluted process with fingers firmly crossed that the lift to the 28th floor will be working again by the next appointed day and time?

The Trendy is a big office building / condo complex. There are numerous lifts.
1 person likes this

On 1/12/2017 at 7:53 PM, OJAS said:

What do you want them to do?  Move the office to the ground floor just in case a disabled person happens to need to renew a passport on a day that ALL the lifts are not working?  Seriously you're creating a problem where there is none.  I'm sure if a disabled person really was in such a situation the staff would either come down to the disabled person to accept the application where they were or help the person get to the office somehow.  Really they were polite and friendly and eager to help, much better than the normal sullen embassy staff you deal with.

Disabled people, old people,  don't even have to go. I submitted an application for an old boy on my Moo Bahn, took his old passport and a letter from him authorising me to do the pick up a couple of weeks later. He never even set foot in the building.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

Disabled people, old people,  don't even have to go. I submitted an application for an old boy on my Moo Bahn, took his old passport and a letter from him authorising me to do the pick up a couple of weeks later. He never even set foot in the building.

I sorted for a guy too...

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, eskatonia said:

What do you want them to do?  Move the office to the ground floor just in case a disabled person happens to need to renew a passport on a day that ALL the lifts are not working?  Seriously you're creating a problem where there is none.  I'm sure if a disabled person really was in such a situation the staff would either come down to the disabled person to accept the application where they were or help the person get to the office somehow.  Really they were polite and friendly and eager to help, much better than the normal sullen embassy staff you deal with.

21 hours ago, sungod said:

HMPO make great play on the GOV.UK website as to how their offices in the UK can be readily accessed by those with limited mobility, in accordance with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act. So why should these requirements go out of the window when it comes to what is in effect their Thailand office? Just because the Disability Discrimination Act does not apply here is really no excuse, I think!

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

HMPO make great play on the GOV.UK website as to how their offices in the UK can be readily accessed by those with limited mobility, in accordance with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act. So why should these requirements go out of the window when it comes to what is in effect their Thailand office? Just because the Disability Discrimination Act does not apply here is really no excuse, I think!

There are numerous lifts that can take you there . 

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Are you actually reading any of these posts?

On 12/01/2017 at 5:28 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

Indeed, the DVLA would never issue a UK Driving licence with an address in Thailand. It was pointless for VFS to take a copy of your UK licence, because the point of the supporting documentation is to verify a bona fide address in Thailand with which the passport can be linked, even if UKPA are not sending it to you there.

Not really, they require 1 photo ID and one address verification, normally this would be your old passport, but if lost/damaged they'd accept a UK license.

I dare say that when the lift is out of service, they use one of the other 3.

Parking in the carpark does make it a little confusing the first visit, you have to go down to go up, and there's another set of lifts that don't service higher floors, but yeah, once you're in the main lobby, there is a VFS desk to ask if need be.

23 hours ago, OJAS said:

<deleted>?  IT IS ACCESSABLE, there are lifts.  According to your logic every single office which isn't on the ground floor is in violation of the disability discrimination act because a lift might potentially break down.  It doesn't work that way.  Also as has been pointed out, you don't have to go in person if you're not able to, you can send someone else and sign a doc to authorise them to do it for you.

On 5/24/2015 at 6:09 PM, donsimon said:

As a follow up to the above posts, its useful to know that in the lobby of trendy building there are copy shops with xerox machines and translation servies, offering translation for 150 baht, wish id known this in advance!

Great. How about Passport Photos (in the lobby)? Any one Know? Thanks.

Mon.

1 minute ago, Mon_the_mon said:

Mon.

Yep , can get them done in the lobby .

But make sure they are exactly the correct size , otherwise you PP application will get refused

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Yep , can get them done in the lobby .

But make sure they are exactly the correct size , otherwise you PP application will get refused

Thank you greatly for your incredibly speedy reply. My appointment is tomorrow!

Thank you

Mon.

7 hours ago, Mon_the_mon said:

Mon.

I did my UK passport renewal on tuesday,I used one of the visa/translation services in the lobby to make colour photo copies of my old passport (all charged the same 20 baht/copy total cost was 360 baht) as I had passport photos already I did not need to have these done however they offer this photo service also,at what cost I do not know.Once you go up to floor 28 to the VFS offices they have a photo copier and photo booth in there also again at what cost I do not know....for my proof of residence I used a recent bank statement (in English) and this was happily accepted,from sitting down in front of the VFS agent and her checking my documents and me leaving was all of ten minutes. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Mon_the_mon said:

Mon.

The following is from the visa part of the VFS website; but I imagine it's the same for passport applicants.

Photocopying service

A photocopying service is available for applicants at 3 Baht per copy.

Photograph service

Applicants using this service can have their photograph taken at the visa application centre. This will ensure that the photographs meet UK Visas and Immigration requirements. The fee is 250 Baht for 6 passport size photographs.

On 2/26/2017 at 4:24 PM, petermik said:

I did my UK passport renewal on tuesday,I used one of the visa/translation services in the lobby to make colour photo copies of my old passport (all charged the same 20 baht/copy total cost was 360 baht) as I had passport photos already I did not need to have these done however they offer this photo service also,at what cost I do not know.Once you go up to floor 28 to the VFS offices they have a photo copier and photo booth in there also again at what cost I do not know....for my proof of residence I used a recent bank statement (in English) and this was happily accepted,from sitting down in front of the VFS agent and her checking my documents and me leaving was all of ten minutes. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Yes, I got the photos done at a lawyer type office at the back of the lobby on right facing the banks of lifts. THB 200.- for 6 pics. I was 20 mins late for my appointment (about the time it took for the photos), but it wasn't commented on. There seemed a lot of people there on this Monday morning, but when I was shown into  a room with 3 or four manned, but otherwise empty booths. It was all very quick after a bit of painless queuing for the lifts, bags check and reception on 28th floor.

I was disappointed with the previously mentioned Indian 50m. further down the soi. Maybe I was a bit early for lunch. No one there. No paneer, owner tells me they've run out because so many customers already today. I hate being lied to, but when it's so blatant in this big empty restaurant - it's just funny. Dahl Fry and one Naan was 210 Baht. Sweet Lassie was 100.- Chai was 30.-  The Vegetarian Tali is now priced at THB 250.- on the menu. Didn't try it though.

Thanks to the people that replied to my photies question.

Cheers,

Mon.