Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Tywais

Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

scorecard    8,608

I thank god that I have a lifetime drivers license for both car and motorcycle.

Sorry folks couldn't resist.

Loptr    3,451

Nice write up...

Here is a link to similar information, but includes some additional details, such as links to download all required forms and samples of the exam questions and answers...

http://donslifeinthailand.com/Thai-Drivers-License-2.html

BTW, I had to renew this week myself in CM... Went at around 1:30pm and was in / out in 30 minutes... Wasn't required to watch any videos...

Edited by Loptr

Loptr    3,451

why bother getting one at all? getting into National Parks cheaper seems the only advantage !

Technically, if you are in-country for more than 60 days, you cannot use your home country DL or an International DL... Easier than carrying around a copy of you passport too... Also gives the BiB the message that you are not a tourist if stopped for any reason and asked for ID...

dickyknee    358

why bother getting one at all? getting into National Parks cheaper seems the only advantage !

you won't get any insurance coverage without one.
  • Like 1

DaamNaam    863

Absolutely correct.

Sparkles    2,256

I was there today - a few days after my birthday/expiration date. It was packed with people. But I didn't get the extra year. I got 17 days short of 5 years. No big deal.....

That's odd as there have been quite a few current reports, not just in the CM forum, of others going shortly after and getting nearly 6 years. This was the 3rd 5 year renewal that I got 6 years - 1 or 2 days. They go by the number of birthdays and not the actual number of days. Sounds like a mix up there either inputting the wrong birth date or something else. Did you double check the dates on your new license to verify birthday and expiration date and time in between? Or, they now consider it a loophole that they closed starting the new year.

I was one that got the 6 years.My licence date has always been tied to my birthday for some unknown reason and I was a few days overdue.Was told my the girl on the front desk it was ok to be up to 6 months overdue.This was my second 5 yr licence renewal.As we all know there is no logic to letting people be unlicenced up to 6 months and the ground rules can change in an instant but when some one gives you 6 years instead of 5 why argue with them ?

TallGuyJohninBKK    6,147

I think that depends on whether you mean insurance for a car you own and drive yourself, or insurance for a car you're renting from a car rental agency.

I don't own my own car. But I've rented from most of the major Thai car rental agencies in recent years. And my rentals have always included their add-on liability and CDW insurance packages, and all were done using my U.S. driver's license, which they accepted without question.

bangmai    867

Will I need either a car or motorbike for a road test, as a first time applicant?

Edited by bangmai

onthedarkside    799

Will I need either a car or motorbike for a road test, as a first time applicant?

If you need to take the practical test then you must supply the bike for bike licence and car for car licence.

Thailand    8,066

Do you have a driving licence from your home country or international driving licence or are you a learner driver taking your first test?

• Like 1

bangmai    867

Do you have a driving licence from your home country or international driving licence or are you a learner driver taking your first test?

I have a valid auto driver's license in Virginia, USA.