Tywais

Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai

297 posts in this topic

Seems like the rules change from week to week and person to person. When I got my first 5-year licenses (going from the one-year licenses) about 7 weeks ago, they absolutely required me to have a medical certificate (I had to go get one and come back the next day). But the only "test" I had to take was to tell the man the colors of the baby stoplight (I have no clue what the "brake pedal test" (which others have told me they were required to do) is and I didn't have to do that last year either to get my one-year licenses). No depth perception tests either (although that was done this time when I got my medical certificate).

In 5 years and about 10 months, when I have to renew again, it'd be nice to know the rules before I go there.....but I'll worry about that then.

the first sentence of your post is exactly the reason I went to check what the requirements might be. And they could be different when I go to renew. I live pretty close to DLT, so going there was not a problem. I can understand for many people it would be difficult to check with DLT in person.

ID: 47   Posted (edited)

Went today for 5 year to 5 year.

1. Arrived 1245 filled out form at info desk with paperwork signed, no medical cert needed.
  2. COR original, copies passport front page, latest renewal, arrival card and entry stamp.
  3. Take all paperwork to desk 28 and get number
  4. 1300 lined up for colour chart test, no reaction test, must be out of order
  5. Into video room for 10 minute lecture by man in white shirt.
  6. Man in white shirt leaves room with video showing, out come phones or take a nap time.
  7. 1400 woman with pink top brings in papers, collect your typed paper and licence attached
  8. 1425 number called, show passport pay 605 baht
  9. Go inside take a number for photograph.
  10. 1435 licence completed, expires December 2020

Reckon on one and half - two hours for everything......all quite painless.

Edited by uptheos
1 person likes this

ID: 48   Posted (edited)

To add to the confusion: I just returned from DLT asking what I needed to renew my 5 year driving licenses for another 5 years.

This is what they gave me. This was given by the girl at the information desk on the 2d floor. She did say I could use a copy of the medical certificate for the 2d license.

I will go the day after my birthday and see how that works.

I understand different people get this done with different requirements.

I went to DLT today to renew my 5 year driving licenses for 5 more years. My experience mirrored Uptheos' post, except for my expiration date (my 2015 birthday has passed)

Got there about 12:45 and turned in exactly what was noted on the attachment I posted. They gave me a number (232) and told me to wait until 1:00. About 12:50 or a few minutes more everyone went into a room to tell what colors were being pointed to. Each person, after 4 colors are pointed out, was put in lines. After everyone was done with the color, we went into the "cinema". There was a man speaking Thai for about 10 minutes then the movie started. The movie is Thai language and animated.

We were ushered out about 2:08 and then waited for our numbers to be called to go and pay and have the information verified from the computer generated forms. From there get a number for photos. Photos taken, license (s) issued. That is the end. I was out a little after 2:30 I believe - I wasn't timing anything, I just happened to look at the time once in a while.

My guess is it was not overly crowded today, at least not in the afternoon.

My licenses are good until my birthday in 2021.

My previous licenses were for about the same term (5 birthdays).

Edited by hml367

Good post:

Can anyone confirm to me if a "non immigrant" visa is required for renewal of a 5 year licence?

I am coming to the expiry date on mine and I am not able to get a "non immigrant" visa anymore. I saw someone comment that it cannot be done on a "visa exempt" stamp (30 day stamp) but can it be done on a tourist visa?

ID: 50   Posted (edited)

Good post:

Can anyone confirm to me if a "non immigrant" visa is required for renewal of a 5 year licence?

I am coming to the expiry date on mine and I am not able to get a "non immigrant" visa anymore. I saw someone comment that it cannot be done on a "visa exempt" stamp (30 day stamp) but can it be done on a tourist visa?

My post #41 has a picture of what the information desk gave me for a 5 year to 5 year. That paper says "non-immagrant" visa. According to some other people posting, what is on these kinds of papers is not always what may or may not be accepted.

If you are in Chiang Mai city area, I would suggest going to DLT and asking them, keeping in mind things can be lost in translation or just wrong information given.

Good luck!

Edited by hml367

A medical certificate is stated as a requirement when replacing a one year licence with a five year.

Does this have to be obtained from a hospital, the same as when originally applying for the one year licence?

If so, which is the easiest?

It is accepted from any doctor's clinic.

1 person likes this

Suppose my basic question is how late can you still renew a 5 year licences, 1 month, 1 year or what?

I don't have a definitive answer but I believe up to 1 year after expiration. Will see if someone has specific experience on this. The sign indicates for 1 year to 5 year you have 3 years after expiration before you have to start the new temporary one all over again. I would say it is very likely 35 days is no problem for 5 to 5.

"The topic of DL comes up often enough to warrant a pinned topic on it. I went in to renew my 5 year license today, 1 day after my birthday in order to get 5 years + 364 days. The timing of my experience today will probably not be the norm as it was two days before a 5 day holiday and the place was packed."

I was there today - a few days after my birthday/expiration date. It was packed with people. But I didn't get the extra year. I got 17 days short of 5 years. No big deal.....

Last year when I renewed my DL. I went there 3 weeks bf expiry. Got new DL starting from current expiry date. So needed two use old till expiry. No zic zac with dates.

Does this have to be obtained from a hospital, the same as when originally applying for the one year licence?If so, which is the easiest?

No need to be from same hospital. If you want play safe, use hospital they recommend.

A medical certificate is stated as a requirement when replacing a one year licence with a five year. Does this have to be obtained from a hospital, the same as when originally applying for the one year licence? If so, which is the easiest?

I've had to do that twice - once for the 1-year licenses and then a year later for the 5-year licenses. The first was from a small doctor's clinic on Huay Gaew and the second was from RAM. So, no, you can get one from any hospital or clinic and you definitely don't have to use the same source. Easiest? I suppose that depends on how long you have to wait at a given place (it took about 15 minutes at the clinic as the doctor wasn't busy and I think the total time at RAM was about 40 minutes). I don't remember what I was charged....maybe something like 200 baht for the clinic about 300 baht from RAM?

Can someone here provide some answers:

I have a temporary 1 yr car license and a 1 yr motorcycle license that I need to renew by next month to obtian the 5 year ones for both.

Can I renew one week in advance to expiration date as they will be most likely closed the week of Songkran?

Will my work permit be accepted in lieu of certificate of residence?

Do I need to provide -2- medical certificates for the 2 renewals?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Can someone here provide some answers:

I have a temporary 1 yr car license and a 1 yr motorcycle license that I need to renew by next month to obtian the 5 year ones for both.

Can I renew one week in advance to expiration date as they will be most likely closed the week of Songkran?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

1. YES

2. YES

3. No personal experience.

1. You are required to wait until the provisionary license expires before converting to a 5 year license. There are some reports that were successful before that and perhaps with a long holiday you might get away with it.

2. WP is accepted

3. 2 are needed but I understand that a photocopy for the 2nd one is fine.

1. You are required to wait until the provisionary license expires before converting to a 5 year license. There are some reports that were successful before that and perhaps with a long holiday you might get away with it.

I renewed my DL end of last year. Went there 3 weeks before expiry. I got new licence starting from expiry. They said I need to use actual license till its expiry and then new. So they dated new license in advance.