hansgruber

Patong is dead.

1,895 posts in this topic

On 23/03/2017 at 2:31 PM, madmitch said:

@BulldozerDawn

 

Are you sure you are posting in the right thread? All very interesting (seriously) but you didn't set foot anywhere near Patong!

 

I have always said, "Patong is coming to a beach near you."  :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I passed the Amigo Bar on Nanai yesterday abiut 13,00 and I was surprised to see it open again. I guess some mug bought the lease .... ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I passed the Amigo Bar on Nanai yesterday abiut 13,00 and I was surprised to see it open again. I guess some mug bought the lease .... ??

Seems that way and it's been empty most of the time except for a few punters on rare occasions........obviously the seller relied on "the bigger fool principle" to move it on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, xylophone said:

Seems that way and it's been empty most of the time except for a few punters on rare occasions........obviously the seller relied on "the bigger fool principle" to move it on!

Since the sign outside of Amigo says "Restaurant & Bar", we stopped in one afternoon while running errands a while back to have a look at the menu. Well, there's no menu, and we were told that they only prepare about 4 Thai stir fry dishes. So not much of a restaurant, I guess.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2017 at 4:50 PM, xylophone said:

Seems that way and it's been empty most of the time except for a few punters on rare occasions........obviously the seller relied on "the bigger fool principle" to move it on!

 

"obviously the seller relied on "the bigger fool principle" to move it on!" - also applicable to the Phuket property market at the moment. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2017 at 4:26 PM, xylophone said:

I arrived back here from a stint in Vietnam, a place I will not visit again, and decided to visit Bangla, this after a three-week (or thereabouts) break from it.

 

Caught a motorbike taxi along Nanai Road and nothing has changed there, with Don's barbecue being empty, Don's pool bar being empty and Don's new bar, Yes Bar, also being empty; these along with a few other bars on Nanai being devoid of punters, apart from the Offshore Bar which had less than a handful of farangs in the place.

 

Certainly Nanai Road looks dead, however it's been heading that way for a while as I have said previously.

 

Was in Bangla at 8 p.m., heading towards my usual Italian restaurant and Bangla was certainly less crowded than in previous visits, but that's to be expected as we are heading into the low season.

 

The band in Tao was trying to work up some enthusiasm whilst playing to no-one and the band in Hot Chili was doing likewise, even though there were about four or five people in the place. Having said that, Bangla has never really hit its straps until about 10 p.m. onwards.

 

My usual Italian restaurant was about half full, whereas the one next to it was empty and one opposite had just a few diners in it. The restaurant just after the entrance to the Soi always seems to do good trade, although I can never understand why because having eaten there a few times, it is nothing special – – nor was the special of the day which I once ordered and which turned out to be almost raw pork fillet, which they refused to change saying it was their signature dish for the week. Never went back.

 

The other Italian restaurant was also empty, or was it closed?? Didn't really take note of that!

 

Took a walk up and down Bangla and the same scenario as before seems to be constantly repeated, with bars like Kangaroo bar being well frequented, the same with Smiley Bar although that does vary quite markedly, and reduced punters in the Aussie bar, but then that's been happening for a while – – and on that note the bars attached to it and down what was Soi Gonzo were empty all except one.

 

Soi Freedom seemed fairly busy early on in the piece until the ladyboys came on the stage and people started drifting away, and this was exacerbated by the fact that for 10 minutes after they left the stage, some piercing, screaming, thumping type music emanated from the speakers and just about cleared the bottom end of the Soi – – such a shame because the Filipino band were about to play and they were playing to just bar staff mostly until a few more punters drifted in.

 

Has always amazed me how the management of some of these places can't really see what's going on and allow idiots to take over the music, which is the case in Soi Freedom, but then TIT.

 

Walking home about 1.45 a.m. Bangla had thinned out quite markedly and although there were a few people in both Monsoon and New York venues, there certainly seemed (from where I was standing) like a dearth of customers in resurrected Tiger and new Tiger complexes, whereas the band in Tao were now playing to 3 punters!

 

Just a note on Soi Sea Dragon, nowhere near its past dizzy heights and the most prominent thing in this Soi nowadays is the constant harassment from the guys outside of the go-go bars, really getting in your face with their placards and so on and blocking your way, and this is even more prevalent these days because more of these go-go bars have opened up – – it is a pain.

 

"I arrived back here from a stint in Vietnam, a place I will not visit again" - why is that?  Where did you go in Vietnam?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posts removed.

 

Stop with the bickering please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

XP, where did you go in Vietnam, and was it "Dead" or busy with western tourists?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

 

XP, where did you go in Vietnam, and was it "Dead" or busy with western tourists?

 

Good day NKM, felt I needed a break from Patong so decided upon Vietnam because it's a place I had always thought I'd like to explore for a number of reasons, one of them being that it could act as a potential "bolthole" should I decide to leave Patong/Thailand.

 

Went to Da Nang and also visited Hoi An and wasn't impressed with either of them! Obviously Da Nang is the biggest and although supposedly the third largest city in Vietnam, it was pretty well dead as regards tourists, with just the occasional party of Chinese and Koreans encountered.

 

There is certainly a lot of building going on in Da Nang with new hotels going up everywhere you looked, so obviously they are gearing up for the tourism trade?

 

Hoi An was a disappointment because supposedly the prettiest part of the town and one which is said to be the drawcard, the area alongside of the river, was actually just full of small, cheap souvenir shops and the occasional pub/restaurant. Not only that this place was full of tourist buses and one can only assume they came from Da Nang, which will have easily swallowed up this amount of tourists without anyone noticing (I certainly didn't).

 

People are friendly however pubs and bars as we know them here are few and far between – – did find a couple of great restaurants though, one French and one Italian, so that went some way to making up for the disappointment of the visit.

 

I think it also cemented in my mind the fact that I am a small town person and I dislike cities.

 

All in all, nothing to go back for!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/04/2017 at 2:31 PM, xylophone said:

Good day NKM, felt I needed a break from Patong so decided upon Vietnam because it's a place I had always thought I'd like to explore for a number of reasons, one of them being that it could act as a potential "bolthole" should I decide to leave Patong/Thailand.

 

Went to Da Nang and also visited Hoi An and wasn't impressed with either of them! Obviously Da Nang is the biggest and although supposedly the third largest city in Vietnam, it was pretty well dead as regards tourists, with just the occasional party of Chinese and Koreans encountered.

 

There is certainly a lot of building going on in Da Nang with new hotels going up everywhere you looked, so obviously they are gearing up for the tourism trade?

 

Hoi An was a disappointment because supposedly the prettiest part of the town and one which is said to be the drawcard, the area alongside of the river, was actually just full of small, cheap souvenir shops and the occasional pub/restaurant. Not only that this place was full of tourist buses and one can only assume they came from Da Nang, which will have easily swallowed up this amount of tourists without anyone noticing (I certainly didn't).

 

People are friendly however pubs and bars as we know them here are few and far between – – did find a couple of great restaurants though, one French and one Italian, so that went some way to making up for the disappointment of the visit.

 

I think it also cemented in my mind the fact that I am a small town person and I dislike cities.

 

All in all, nothing to go back for!

 

Fair play to you XP, and I commend you for at least going and having a look around.

 

How many expats here have only been to Phuket and Issan.  (no prizes for guessing why they went to Issan)

 

They have nothing to compare Phuket to, yet, they say it's the best place in Thailand / South East Asia.   I have a laugh at these guys.

 

Many are "boiling frogs" here, and we must self assess. 

 

For me, I have never seen myself as having a right to live in Thailand, past that little sticker in my passport, so, I have always had a Plan B, or "bolt hole" as you say. 

 

If we were to look at the Governance of Phuket, in a subjective light, it becomes clear that this island is heading backwards.  So sad for an island with soooo much potential.  

 

Alas, many frogs continue to slowly boil in the water, with some frogs even saying the water is not even hot.  :smile:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

For me, I have never seen myself as having a right to live in Thailand, past that little sticker in my passport, so, I have always had a Plan B, or "bolt hole" as you say. 

 

If we were to look at the Governance of Phuket, in a subjective light, it becomes clear that this island is heading backwards.  So sad for an island with soooo much potential.  

Agree with the "Plan B" scenario and that's why I have also investigated Siam Reap, Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville, because anything can change in this country, from attitude to xenophobia to governments to military and there could be no rhyme nor reason as to why it happens – – and of course us "visitors" may well be the 1st to have to go!

 

Closer to home, sure the powers that be on Phuket are only interested in lining their own pockets and that becomes blatantly obvious the longer you stay here and know a little bit about it. As regards Patong, well IMO this is a place which could have well turned into a tourist's delight and a high-class destination, but again greed has prevailed and Patong has been absolutely ruined by this, lack of planning, lack of strong governance and the inability to see past the easily available "baht/dollar/whatever".

 

I choose to stay here for the time being because I have gotten used to it and I have my own routine, friends and acquaintances and enjoy the restaurants and the occasional night out and who knows maybe I'll see my time out here because I have the ability to see past its shortcomings and enjoy what I enjoy.

 

Having said that – – – – –because of the TIT factor I will always have a "Plan B/bolthole" lined up!!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 


Having said that – – – – –because of the TIT factor I will always have a "Plan B/bolthole" lined up!!
 

 

 

That's a sensible idea, but where is this elusive, plan B bolthole?  You mention that Vietnam wasn't to your liking, but what about the Cambodian cities that you mentioned?  Anywhere else on your radar?

 

I can't say that I had a plan B lined up when I left Phuket.  Phnom Penh is somewhere that I go to from time to time. The centre of town near the riverside has improved over the years, plenty of nice restaurants, cheap but decent guesthouses etc.

 

Although I'm in Myanmar right now, Yangon and Mandalay are not on my plan B ==> Yangon is too crowded and Mandalay has no green spaces within the city.  I find Naypyidaw pleasant enough for now, albeit the place lacks any decent/basic shops etc.

 

If I had the time and money, then I'd get the Subway franchise for Naypyidaw and open a branch in the shopping centre here.

Edited by simon43

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided that a visit to Bangla would be on the cards so did exactly that last night and for the report, well read my report #1877 because except for the bit about the restaurants, everything else was the same apart from there being fewer people all round.

 

That of course doesn't apply to Tao because at 10 p.m. there were four people listening to the band and at 1:30 a.m. there were five people listening to the band!!

 

Behind the "resurrected Tiger" bar complex I counted 20 bars which were empty and two which were occupied by bar staff, though with no customers and of course there were the six large bars fronting it which did have punters in, though none in any great numbers.

 

I was told by a bar owner friend that Taipan had been shut down for a few day and word on the block seems to be that it was for after hours trading?? Don't know quite what the story is, however this would seem very strange if it was for this reason because Taipan has always ensured that there have been enough funds to supply the powers that be with "Tea" so that they can stay open late, so maybe the amount of tea which was needed to be bought was excessive? Or something else is in play and knowing a little about what happens here, it could well be that they were shut to be taught a lesson and to teach others a lesson.

 

In a while of course, the affected establishments will be approached with regards to staying open late and having to pay the necessary tea money in order to do so, but probably greater amounts. Rumours abound that the transfer of the governor out of Phuket was because he had advocated a later closing time, and of course this would have reduced the tea money income quite markedly.

 

On to other things and the Italian style restaurant at the south end of Nanai which I think was called Baoli has reopened as something else, but without a name and also seems devoid of customers as does the other Italian restaurant which has been closed for about a year now, Santa Christina, which after a short flurry of activity seems to have changed hands/cuisine and is now open, but serving what sort of cuisine? There are some blurry pictures on a sign above the entrance to the "restaurant" but quite what they are it is hard to determine.

 

And speaking of Italian restaurants, Lo Scoglio also at the south end of Nanai continues to underwhelm with nary a human in sight in the restaurant although small four-legged furry creatures are often seen running around just outside of it!

 

Cheap food and cheap rooms abound at the moment with Thai meals at 90 baht just off Bangla and at 80 baht in Nanai and rooms to be had for the cost of a few beers.

 

Chinese nowhere near as abundant as before, so let's hope that continues and on a purely selfish note, I look forward to the low season, however I do feel for the genuine small business owners who are trying everything to make a go of it, but not so much for the incompetents who open small businesses for no other reason than they can – – reminds me of the old saying, "why do dogs lick their d1cks; because they can".

Edited by xylophone
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2017 at 3:28 PM, NamKangMan said:

 

 

"Could it take 10-20 years for any real competitor to emerge/develop and threaten Phuket?" - ahhhh, where do you think all the western tourists that Phuket has lost over the last 2 years are going????

 

In my opinion, Phuket's biggest competitor will come from Vietnam.  (tourist numbers up 26% - and I would suggest, that's tourist with money, not "zero baht" Chinese package holiday tourists)

 

I also notice Vietnam's budget airline, Vietjet, is gaining more and more international routes, and frequency of flights.

 

While Phuket refuses to change, their competition has been developing their tourism industry, rapidly.

 

This is the type of places being built, particularly in Vietnam, whilst Phuket still allows its same old scams and extortion, with higher prices for poorer service.

 

http://www.thegrandhotram.com/

 

By not moving forward, Phuket is actually slipping backwards. 

 

On 1/1/2017 at 3:28 PM, NamKangMan said:

 

 

"Could it take 10-20 years for any real competitor to emerge/develop and threaten Phuket?" - ahhhh, where do you think all the western tourists that Phuket has lost over the last 2 years are going????

 

In my opinion, Phuket's biggest competitor will come from Vietnam.  (tourist numbers up 26% - and I would suggest, that's tourist with money, not "zero baht" Chinese package holiday tourists)

 

I also notice Vietnam's budget airline, Vietjet, is gaining more and more international routes, and frequency of flights.

 

While Phuket refuses to change, their competition has been developing their tourism industry, rapidly.

 

This is the type of places being built, particularly in Vietnam, whilst Phuket still allows its same old scams and extortion, with higher prices for poorer service.

 

http://www.thegrandhotram.com/

 

By not moving forward, Phuket is actually slipping backwards. 

Just thought I would pop back in to let you know that a couple of weeks ago I booked Vietjet flights for a holiday for me and my girl from Bangkok to Hanoi.  The ticket cost was 106 Baht.  No not a typo.... One hundred and Six Baht.  Local brewed beers in Hanoi are 20 baht a bottle.  Looking forward to the trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Needing a room for a few days next week, I did a quick search on Latestays for cheap hotel rooms in Patong, and was shocked at what I saw. There are literally dozens of guesthouses on Rat-U-Thit, Sai Kor and Nanai Roads with rooms going for 300-400 baht/night. Add in VAT and service charges, and they're still well below 500 baht. These aren't old, run-down properties - most seem to be just a few years old, and have probably changed hands multiple times over that period as a result of being unable to turn a profit.

 

A flood of sub-500 baht rooms doesn't seem to be a good sign for the local economy.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

 

Just thought I would pop back in to let you know that a couple of weeks ago I booked Vietjet flights for a holiday for me and my girl from Bangkok to Hanoi.  The ticket cost was 106 Baht.  No not a typo.... One hundred and Six Baht.  Local brewed beers in Hanoi are 20 baht a bottle.  Looking forward to the trip.

 

I didn't go much on Hanoi.  The south of Vietnam is very different to the north, in my opinion.  A lot like Thailand, I suppose.

 

Do yourself a favor and get to Ha Long Bay out of Hanoi.  You will not regret it.  It really is something.   

Edited by NamKangMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Needing a room for a few days next week, I did a quick search on Latestays for cheap hotel rooms in Patong, and was shocked at what I saw. There are literally dozens of guesthouses on Rat-U-Thit, Sai Kor and Nanai Roads with rooms going for 300-400 baht/night. Add in VAT and service charges, and they're still well below 500 baht. These aren't old, run-down properties - most seem to be just a few years old, and have probably changed hands multiple times over that period as a result of being unable to turn a profit.

 

A flood of sub-500 baht rooms doesn't seem to be a good sign for the local economy.

 

 

So how do you think the over 1000 to 1500 to 2000 baht hotels are going????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 30 April 2017 10:23
Sponsors