Thaivisa News

British tourist kills police in crash

332 posts in this topic

Hua Hin, Prachuap Khiri Khan:- A speeding Benz sports car driven by a British tourist crashed into a motorcycle at U-turn in Hua Hin town, killing a border patrol policeman early Wednesday.

post-87022-0-95368500-1429091568_thumb.j

[Photo credit: Khaosod Online]

Pol Lt Nonthawat Thongkham, an officer on duty of Hua Hin police station, said the accident happened on the outbound Phetkasem Road at the U-turn spot in front of the Hua Hin Hospital at 2:40 am.

After alerted of the accident, Nonthawat and rescuers of the Sawang Hua Hin Thammasathan Foundation rushed to the scene.

They found a two-door retractable-roof Benz car with Bangkok license plate at the scene. Its front was badly damaged and its airbags had been deployed. Its windshield was broken and its engine oil leaked but it did not catch fire.

The car crashed into a Yamaha YZF-R3 300-CC blue motorcycle without a license plate. The impact hurled the motorcycle about 200 meters away from car. Several parts of the motorcycle were broken and scattered at the spot.

The body of Police Lance Corporal Wiroon Srinarong, 24, a border patrol policeman of Naresuan base in Cha-am district, Phetchaburi, was found at the scene.

Nonthawat said the Benz was driven by John Benjamin, 44, a British tourist who suffered chest injury. He was rushed to the Hua Hin Hospital and received an x-ray and doctors put in under close watch for possible internal injury.

Nonthwat interrogated Benjamin and learned that he was speeding his car from his residence in Cha-am to Hua Hin and the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time.

2 people like this

RIP. Speeding car, wild tourist, quick U turn.... Alcohol? Recipe for disaster, and it happened.

2 people like this

Not a Benz, dear me ,more power to the Lefty Brits again...If it was Nop in a Shagged Truck its hardly worth a mention. Unplated Bike ridden by Drunk Cop most likely.

I don't know if it's the same person, but 2 weeks ago, there was a white guy hauling ass in his benz convertible coming into Hua Hin. Looks like the same car. I'm no saint when I drive either though so it's hard to judge.